phantom 2 vision ruined my garage door opener

Reaction score
The second it showed up at my house from FedEx, the garage door went in psycho possessed mode. i thought that was interesting because even after taking out the battery that goes in the phantom, making sure the wi-fi on the back of the phantom camera was switched to OFF, made sure the range booster was switched to OFF, as well as the remote control. the next day I carried the disassembled phantom to my car in the garage and the door opener went crazy again. I unplugged the Garage Door opener from the outlet a number of times, to no avail. I keep trying to call the DJI Help Desk, but as I'm sure most of you know, trying to get through to anyone there is an absolute nightmare.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

Did you remove the batteries from the RC? This sounds like a wacky situation... and a pure coincidence. But if the Phantom IS the culprit, it'd more likely be the controller than the Phantom itself.

Do you still have the manual for your opener, or otherwise know what frequency it uses? That would help you narrow down whether it's the TX or VX that might be interfering.

Is it an old opener?

Modern openers should have security algorithms that make it nearly impossible to open them.

I would be faulting the opener and not the Phantom first but the the part about you carrying it out the next day is weird.

ProfessorStein said:
Did you remove the batteries from the RC? This sounds like a wacky situation... and a pure coincidence. But if the Phantom IS the culprit, it'd more likely be the controller than the Phantom itself.

Do you still have the manual for your opener, or otherwise know what frequency it uses? That would help you narrow down whether it's the TX or VX that might be interfering.

I brought the whole system to work, took out all four AA batteries from the RC, and when i got home the garage door opener was going crazy still. The only other thing I can think of is if the range extender is the culprit, even when it's turned off. later i take off the range extender and see if that is the culprit.

rrmccabe said:
Is it an old opener?

Modern openers should have security algorithms that make it nearly impossible to open them.

I would be faulting the opener and not the Phantom first but the the part about you carrying it out the next day is weird.

No, it was replaced just a few years ago. The brand is Blue Max, but I hardly think they have much knowledge of sUAS. I can try searching their website in the meantime.

I doubt DJI has much knowledge about your garage door opener.

Let's look at this logically.

The DJI range extender is a 2.4GHz wifi extender. Nothing special about it.
The transmitter operates on 5.6GHz.

Most garage door openers operate on 433MHz.

If you carry the phantom by itself to the garage what happens?

Likewise if you just take the controller by itself?

Never heard of blue max. EDIT: Looks like a Genie brand

But regardless garage doors should not be able to be opened with RF frequency without some type of digital code. If that was possible thieves would have broadband transmitters with way more than 500mw driving around opening doors.

First of all, thanks to everyone for trying to help me solve this problem.

So I just put everything in the back yard. individually carried each piece (phantom battery, then Range Booster, then RC without batteries, RC with batteries, etc. etc.) and nothing happened. I then turned everything on in the garage and no interference with the garage door opener. So...now I'm even more confused than before. I'm wondering if the garage door opener operates on some sort of frequency hopper? And maybe I walked into the garage at the wrong times these past several days? I'm running out of ideas. I do know for a fact that some part of the phantom 2 vision system was causing this malfunction, because like I said, had the Blue Max installed for about 3 years and it never went rogue until the day the phantom came in the mail. and every time until now over the past week, the garage door went crazy whenever i went into it with the UAS, whether it was leaving the garage or driving into it, with the phantom system in the trunk.

I'll check again tomorrow morning to see if interferes again. If so, I guess I'll contact the garage door company to find out how to change the frequency on it.

Not sure but think most modern openers roam somehow. But you should be able to open a door with a non secure RF device.

So... silly question... but if the last clue pointed to the extender (it was the only thing that still had a battery), did you make sure it was charged up when you tested this last time?

Mactab said:
I think bizmarkie507 is one of these new types of troll.

Yea.

Too late though... he knows there's food here. :lol:

ProfessorStein said:
So... silly question... but if the last clue pointed to the extender (it was the only thing that still had a battery), did you make sure it was charged up when you tested this last time?

yes, the power LED was green when i turned on the range extender

Mactab said:
I think bizmarkie507 is one of these new types of troll.
Right...I made up this huge elaborate story to post on some forum so I could make a handful of people think of a possible solution. Are you the troll, since everyone else seems to try to be helpful in this thread?

I have a similar issue....

Every since I bought my P2V+, my electric toothbrush just went CRAZY! Everything is fine until I activate the ground station. Then my toothbrush starts buzzing like crazy!

Then, if I activate the gyro feature, and tilt my phone, my toothbrush will JUMP out of the glass I keep it in, and proceed to vibrate down the countertop. If I tilt up, it reverses and heads in the other direction.

What the heck is going on? PLEASE HELP!

Best,

Ben

PS: Only happens since I upgraded to 3.06.... Just sayin'

;)

Read your toothbrush manual! There's a clear warning advising against activating ground station in close proximity to toothbrushes and electric can openers.

bizmarkie507 said:
The second it showed up at my house from FedEx, the garage door went in psycho possessed mode. i thought that was interesting because even after taking out the battery that goes in the phantom, making sure the wi-fi on the back of the phantom camera was switched to OFF, made sure the range booster was switched to OFF, as well as the remote control. the next day I carried the disassembled phantom to my car in the garage and the door opener went crazy again. I unplugged the Garage Door opener from the outlet a number of times, to no avail. I keep trying to call the DJI Help Desk, but as I'm sure most of you know, trying to get through to anyone there is an absolute nightmare.

Anyone else have a similar experience?

C'mon... you can't figure this one out? Your wife was pretty pissed when you spent all that money on a toy. She's hiding in the bushes with your spare garage door remote, and every time you get near that door... :) :D :lol: :cool:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj