Phantom 2 Vision + range

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm new to all of this and I am looking for an idea of what is the normal range lateral and vertical of a standard Phantom 2 Vision +?

Mine starts RTH at about 200 mtrs lateral and 160 mfrs vertical with everything charged fully, the antenna and wi fi booster pointing towards the 'copter, the screw on the controller is turned for FCC and the range on the assistant is still set to default for 3.04 firmware.

Any comparable information from other standard un modded Phantom 2 Vision + users would be appreciated for troubleshooting if my range is as abnormal as I think it is from the manual.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

Davemc said:
Hi folks,

I'm new to all of this and I am looking for an idea of what is the normal range lateral and vertical of a standard Phantom 2 Vision +?

Mine starts RTH at about 200 mtrs lateral and 160 mfrs vertical with everything charged fully, the antenna and wi fi booster pointing towards the 'copter, the screw on the controller is turned for FCC and the range on the assistant is still set to default for 3.04 firmware.

Any comparable information from other standard un modded Phantom 2 Vision + users would be appreciated for troubleshooting if my range is as abnormal as I think it is from the manual.

Thanks in advance,

Dave

It's how you are pointing your antenna sounds like. Don't point there tip towards the phantom. Rather the side of the antenna. That should give you better range.

you want your antenna to be parallel with your phantoms landing gear like that :
bnvhjb.jpg

with a simple DIY reflector made out of can and a bit of carboard I can fly mine to over 1500m.
IMAG0733.jpg

IMAG0734.jpg

Davemc said:

I would be very disappointed if my Vision+ was performing that poorly. It may be that you have a bad controller or receiver?

My Vision+ is totally stock. I have flown as far as 5300' over water and flat farmland. Even launching from my house in a dense suburban area with loads of Wi-Fi & trees, I still get a minimum of 2000', and usually quite a bit more. Vertically I have been as high as 2600' (my geofence limit), but I generally don't fly that high and stay below 1000'. I have the original Vision+ Booster App but have only used it once as I always lose control signal before FPV.

Dirty Bird said:
Davemc said:

I would be very disappointed if my Vision+ was performing that poorly. It may be that you have a bad controller or receiver?

My Vision+ is totally stock. I have flown as far as 5300' over water and flat farmland. Even launching from my house in a dense suburban area with loads of Wi-Fi & trees, I still get a minimum of 2000', and usually quite a bit more. Vertically I have been as high as 2600' (my geofence limit), but I generally don't fly that high and stay below 1000'. I have the original Vision+ Booster App but have only used it once as I always lose control signal before FPV.
To be honest... I am getting that range as well.... I get around 3xx metre then it start saying connection loss and RTH triggered.... [emoji17]

Before I did the coke can mod, I was losing signal at 1000ft. Now I'm able to get to almost 2000ft.

JWarren said:
Before I did the coke can mod, I was losing signal at 1000ft. Now I'm able to get to almost 2000ft.
Sorry, I am really new to these thing, you mean the 5.8g radio may contribute to the short range? I always think the RTH was triggered by the loss of Wi-Fi signal, which is Why We need the booster app ...

WyattEarp said:
Loss of signal from the 5.8ghz transmitter will trigger RTF. Not loss of FpV.
I am no EEE so please correct me. Is that because the strongest signal you could get is to align the phantom landing gear parallel with the antenna, the coke can method effectively channel the signal to be transmitted at the direction of the tip of antenna rather than sideways?

chluk2425 said:
Is that because the strongest signal you could get is to align the phantom landing gear parallel with the antenna, the coke can method effectively channel the signal to be transmitted at the direction of the tip of antenna rather than sideways?

reflector will direct forward radio waves that otherwise would travel sideways and backwards

drggf.jpg

z10m said:
chluk2425 said:
Is that because the strongest signal you could get is to align the phantom landing gear parallel with the antenna, the coke can method effectively channel the signal to be transmitted at the direction of the tip of antenna rather than sideways?

reflector will direct forward radio waves that otherwise would travel sideways and backwards

drggf.jpg

Sorry I am loss.... From the sketch you attached, does that mean I still have to align my antenna parallel with the landing gear to get maximum performance with the coke can method?

The antenna on your RC must be parallel with the legs of the bird.
The tip of that antenna on the RC is the weakest point.
Its a Remote Control but its not to change TV channels.
So if you hold the RC in your hand the tip of the antenna must point towards the sky or up so the antenna on the RC is faced sideways towards the bird.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.