Phantom 2 Vision+ (Plus) is Better than P2 w/GoPro

Reaction score
The Phantom 2 Vision+ (Plus) is Better than P2 w/GoPro hands down... The video is smooth and sharp at least as good as the GoPro and Telementry is built-in... 1/2 mile WiFi FOV range and with built-in waypoint ability in a month (no cost) or so away... DJI could be hurting there own sales you would think...

Gopro is wider lens, gopro can record more frames, gopro can be used for other stuff.
But because no one will upload original files online and only upload to youtube and vimeo who destroy the quality i have no idea wich camera is better in terms of contrast etc.

borgqueenx said:
But because no one will upload original files online and only upload to youtube and vimeo who destroy the quality i have no idea wich camera is better in terms of contrast etc.

Yes, I agree - all the dozens & dozens of posts about this or that is better/worse and yet there is so little empirical evidence. Peter Evans looked in detail at FC200 images and Russell Brown has done a lot of work with the DNGs but there has been very little else apart from subjective opinion.

Even though the + has been out for a couple of days now I am still not clear about the capabilities of the camera.

pault said:
Even though the + has been out for a couple of days now I am still not clear about the capabilities of the camera.

I'm waiting to see this as well. Late last week I decided that I was going to return the P2V I bought on 4/1 back to B&H. Now I'm trying to decide which route I want to go with... Just picked up a GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition from REI for $320, so the choice is going to be between the P2 with a 3 axis gimbal and GoPro, or the P2V+. The choice is entirely dependent upon camera quality.

I'm interested in the stills.
If I want to shoot video, I fly my S800 EVO or my F550 so I'm finding I fly my Phantom 2 more for fun rather than anything else. It's a pain to have to keep track of the charge level of my transmitter, Phantom, monitor, and GoPro for a simple, fun flight.
I would be swayed to buy a Vision+ if the quality of the stills compares to or exceeds those that I can get from my GoPro H3B.

Also guys, keep an eye on wharfbanger's thread on here - it could be our dream come true

I have read somewhere that the DJI reps at the recent show were telling people that the sensor in the V+ comes from the same factory as gopro uses. That does not mean it is of the same quality but if it is then from what I have read about the lens conversion that wharfbanger has done it will mean the V+ DNGs will be better than the jpgs from the gopro black. There is a long thread about people using it with gopros on rcgroups. There, people reckon it is very good and possibly better than the original lens. The stills are good enough to print.

Exciting times indeed :)

Thanks pault.

Can you point me to the thread on RCGroups? I've been keeping an eye on wharfbanger's thread as well - if this turns out to be true I won't need to go with anything other than a modded P2V+ to fill 90%+ of my current needs.

Depending on the quality of photos that we can get, I may even be able to take the GoPro that I bought last weekend back to REI. (I'm sure that as I progress with my business, I'll want something even better - but that won't be until there's a GoPro 4 or maybe even 5.)

CRankin said:
Thanks pault.

Can you point me to the thread on RCGroups? I've been keeping an eye on wharfbanger's thread as well - if this turns out to be true I won't need to go with anything other than a modded P2V+ to fill 90%+ of my current needs.

Depending on the quality of photos that we can get, I may even be able to take the GoPro that I bought last weekend back to REI. (I'm sure that as I progress with my business, I'll want something even better - but that won't be until there's a GoPro 4 or maybe even 5.)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthre ... 642&page=9

Have you been following Peter Evans' thread on the P2 forum ?

CRankin said:
pault said:

I'm waiting to see this as well. Late last week I decided that I was going to return the P2V I bought on 4/1 back to B&H. Now I'm trying to decide which route I want to go with... Just picked up a GoPro Hero3+ Black Edition from REI for $320, so the choice is going to be between the P2 with a 3 axis gimbal and GoPro, or the P2V+. The choice is entirely dependent upon camera quality.

I've seen many reviews as well as video footage between the two. The P2V and Plus Camera is as good or a little better than a GoPro Hero 2 or maybe Hero 3 silver camera. It does not compare to a Hero 3 Black or Hero 3+ Black. If you're looking for higher quality video recordings, the clear choice will be to go with a P2 with a Hero 3 Black. If on the other hand you want control of when and where you start and stop video recording, and picture taking with higher level control of photo settings while in the air and ability to preview the pictures while in the air, then a P2V+ is the clear choice. Also don't forget the ease of use of a P2V with it's built in FPV setup. A P2 with custom FPV requires some work on your part and will cost at least $300 or more to add an inexpensive fpv system.

Not sure if this would be of interest, but here is my maiden flight from tonight (only 30% battery levels from the box):
raw unedited mp4:
http://jaysonhanes.com/p2vplus/DJI00001.mp4 (257mb, right click and save-as)

and youtube:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KrzlbKVzZEg[/youtube]

I am absolutely speechless watching this video.. is it a goPro? I don't care!! it's freaking AMAZING to me that this is the result of flying gently in these kinds of winds, under cloudy skies at dusk.. I'm waiting for the batteries to charge and I'm going to flying alllll weekend!

I take thats from the vision+ camera?
Thanks alot for uploading the original file! Will compare tommorow!

Thanks for posting that, Jayson!

The video quality looks good. Since I just got a GoPro and have been playing around only a little bit with it (not mounted on a Phantom yet), I'll leave it to those who are more expert to compare and point out the differences.

When you have some time this weekend, would it be possible to take some photos and upload the raw (DNG) files? The camera on my P2V produced somewhat less-than-stellar photo results (too soft/blurry on fine details), and I'd like to see if that has been improved any on the P2V+. Since this will be a primary use of the equipment for me, it will go a long way in helping me decide what my next move is after returning the P2V when B&H opens up again on Wednesday.

Thanks again for taking the time to share your experiences with everybody!

Jayson Hanes said:
Yeah guys I'll do that.. what kind of subject matter?? Trees? Buildings? it's another cloudy/rainy day here but it may clear up in a few hours.. I brought my P2V+ to work today :)

Both, if possible. I'm really interested to see if the camera can produce images that are as clear as the ones from my GoPro. (If they are, then you will have just made my life a lot easier. :) )

I'm wondering how big of a phone can it hold? Will a NEXUS 7 fit? How wide will the jaws open?

CRankin said:
The camera on my P2V produced somewhat less-than-stellar photo results (too soft/blurry on fine details), and I'd like to see if that has been improved any on the P2V+.

I believe this has to do with a setting on the camera. There is a thread explaining how to adjust the setting on camera so it's not so soft/blurry.

Found it:
viewtopic.php?f=7&t=11598

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic