Phantom 2 vision modification: Frankenstein build

N

Noël

A friend of mine gave me a DJI Phantom Vision as he did not use it anymore.
Only problem with it was that the camera was broken.

As I did not want to spend too much cash on this Vision (new camera is expensive), and as I still had a lot of RC stuff laying around I decided to try something new.

Things I did.

- Changed the original NAZA lite to a DJI NAZA M v2
- Added a DJI iOSD mini (for on screen display)
- Changed the GPS/compass to the one that fits the NAZA M V2 ***** (back to original GPS and external compass)
- Changed the original receiver to a Graupner MX-12 HoTT 2.4 Ghz receiver
- Added a small (Sony 1/3" Super HAD CCD 600TVL) camera for FPV
- Added a Skyzone 5.8G 200mW 32CH AV Transmitter

As I would also like to do some videoing with it, I will be adding a gimbal and a SJCAM SJ4000 camera.
The SJ4000 does also have direct video out, so I will be using this to feed the video TX (will remove the small Sony camera).

The result: a DJI Phantom (Vision), controlled by a Graupner MX-12 HoTT with "true" FPV over 5.8 Ghz

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Needed to make a small "cut" in leg to feed the cable from the LED

6.jpg

7.jpg

The new GPS / compass

8.jpg

The inside.. Not much room to play with!
9.jpg

10.jpg

Lot's of wires.
11.jpg

Tha NAZA M V2 and Graupner receiver.
12.jpg

The DJI power management unit.
13.jpg

The DJI iOSD mini.
14.jpg

Only 1081 grams (with battery) ** can get some more weight off if needed by removing the cases around the iOSD, Power management, GPS and cloverleaf antenna.

15.jpg

Re: DJI Vision Frankenstein build

Looking real nice. Like how you were able to cram it all in there.

Have you gone on a test flight yet?

Did a hover test only (in side)

Problem at the moment is that we have a gale wind at the moment.
Things are looking okay for tomorrow!

Sweet!! Fedex should be dropping my P2 (first one!) off this afternoon. But of course having downpours until the weekend.

How stable is the phantom to test inside without taking out something?

I have no clue how your flying skills are, and how big the "inside" is, but I've got no problem with hovering / flying inside my garage!
Obviously GPS mode will not work, so you will need to use ATTI or Manual mode!

The P2 is pretty stable inside when you get out of the prop wash (about 1 1/2 meter for me).

Fly at your own risk!

It is my very first drone. I have done RC for years but on/off road and crawling. The room i have but at best, i should wait for the sun to come out haha.

Thanks for the heads up Noel[emoji2], Sub'ed to see how yours turns out and its maiden out door flight

In that case you better wait if this is your 1st multirotor!

After some outdoor test flights I noticed that in GPS mode the modified Vision did not stay in one place and started to go into the toilet bowl effect.
I did not manage to fix this problem by shielding the GPS, and recalibrating things.

I then decided to go back to the original Phantom Vision GPS puck and compass on the leg, and after recalibrating all needed things the toilet bowl effect was gone.

The modified Vision is flying super and I'm getting about 23 minute on the DJI battery!

I'm still waiting for the SJCAM SJ4000 camera, so for now no update on this.

Okay.

I've removed the FPV cam, and added a gimbal and SJ4000 camera.
FPV is now done through the SJ4000. (it will do FPV and recording at the same time)
I've also moved the 5.8 Ghz 200mw video transmitter to the inside. (cleaner look)

Tilting the camera is done with the 7th channel from the TX (linked to CTRL 6 on the TX)
I've got one channel left so might add some extra features to the "Phantom" :)

Total RTF weight 1330 gram (can lose some more weight if needed)

Still some tidying up to do, but I must say that it's all working better as expected!

16.jpg

17.jpg

18.jpg

I think the pics you posted are of a Phantom 2...and not the Vision.

My Vision has 6 vents along the side of each arm. Yours has only 4..i believe that is the P2 and not a Vision... I could be wrong tho.

RCRookie said:
I think the pics you posted are of a Phantom 2...and not the Vision.

My Vision has 6 vents along the side of each arm. Yours has only 4..i believe that is the P2 and not a Vision... I could be wrong tho.

It is (was) definitely a Vision :)

My other "still" Vision has also only 4 vents along the side of each arm!

a Vision + has 6 vents!

The shells of a P2 and a Vision are supposed to be exactly the same. You might be right though, I didn't count the number of vent slits on my P2. I

To the OP: you say you changed Naza Lite with a Naza-M but I thought it already is a Naza-M but with specific Vision/P2 firmware? Never thought a Vision or a P2 would have a lesser flight controller setup than the cheaper Phantom 1 or FC40, that both come with a standard Naza-M V2. Unless the previous user changed the controller for a Lite (why?).

I just checked with DJI.com and every picture of every P2, Vision or Vision+, the shell is the same, with 6 vent slits.
The P1 and FC40 however have 4 slits. So might this be a very early model perhaps?

You don't need that PMU V2, since the P2 main board already has the CAN bus adapter. You just need the proper cable (P2 CAN module).

True, but as I did not have the proper cable, and had all the other stuff laying around I went with this option.

I've also changed the gimbal to a plastic Walkera G-2D gimbal.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik