Phantom 2 vision camara defective!

Reaction score
hi i buy from dronefly a dji phantom vision 2, but the camara have a problem when i take pictures, its a purple spots un the top letf up of the image, but only in the picture mode, what do i do? do change my camara?

Attachments

• DJI00010.JPG
    DJI00010.JPG
    432.8 KB · Views: 1,029
  • DJI00012.JPG
    DJI00012.JPG
    329.3 KB · Views: 1,064
  • DJI00024.JPG
    DJI00024.JPG
    406.1 KB · Views: 1,014
oukenfold said:
hi i buy from dronefly a dji phantom vision 2, but the camara have a problem when i take pictures, its a purple spots un the top letf up of the image, but only in the picture mode, what do i do? do change my camara?

It's defective! I had the same exact problem... purchased it from Dronefly - contact them and be sure to send them these pictures too. You'll need to ship your defective camera unit back for a replacement unit.

uhmmm, yea i allready write them and send this pictures, now i will wait for an answer, just the camara right? what could it be?

good news i have answer from dronefly.com

Hi Jorge,

We will replace the camera for you. Please send only the camera to us. Include a not with your full contact info and order number. authorized by Taylor & Dji.

Dronefly

Replacement Dept.

3559 Old Conejo Rd.

Newbury Park, Ca

Thanks!

The DroneFly Support Team

just curious, when you received the Phantom .... was the box sealed with a round disc piece of clear tape? (factory seal)

Sidewinder said:
just curious, when you received the Phantom .... was the box sealed with a round disc piece of clear tape? (factory seal)

like this one? but now that i remmeber i did not cut them :) when i opened.

Attachments

• foto.JPG
    foto.JPG
    351.1 KB · Views: 809
oukenfold said:

There isn't anything wrong with the lens. Those are purple hang gliders. :p

I have the same problem but I'm not totally convinced it is a faulty camera. First of all I have these pink triangles in precisely the same places which is odd (altho doesn't mean that it isn't simply the same fault). Whilst there isn't a proper RAW file reader yet I've had some success getting OK colour results using Infranview. There are no signs of these triangles at all in the RAW files.

The triangles only appear the non default size pictures - "S" and "M" modes. The "L" mode has no artifacts.

I can't help thinking that most people don't bother changing the default camera mode when taking photos and I would bet there are others with this problem who just don't realise it.

Regardless I've put in a request with quadcopters.co.uk for help but haven't had a response so far.

Very helpful observations, Thanks.
Perhaps some kind of conversion errors.
Maybe refreshing the camera's firmware should be tried?

I should check my non-default picture and video formats.

I've tried the latest firmware and in fact I didn't update originally, I only updated to try to fix this problem, but no changes.

I've posted a new topic about this simply because I'm not convinced it is hardware fault (altho it might be of course!).

Nvr2fst said:
oukenfold said:

There isn't anything wrong with the lens. Those are purple hang gliders. :p

Lol I was thinking exactly the same thing. That they look like purple hang gliders in the background. Though I've seen the other threads about this and know that it's actually a defect. If not that then we have a purple hang glider invasion that only phantom 2 vision cameras can pick up :p

The purple hang gliders are defects in the imaging sensor. It's normal to have a hot pixel or two on a camera sensor -- on all but the most expensive digital cameras. Your computer screen probably has a bad pixel or two as well. Not something to worry about. But seeing a large group of these defective pixels is bad news. My PV2 has them too, and that's why I'm sending it back. The sensors, evidently, are not being thoroughly tested before being assembled into cameras. The testing adds cost and time -- and I'm sure Colin was a a big rush to get the PV2 out in time for christmas -- warts and all.

This camera is marketed as a 14 megapixel camera -- and it's no where near that. While the imaging sensor may be recording that much data, the JPG compression algorithm is far too agressive, and, as far as I know, not user controllable. This may well have been a design choice because it facilitates downloading and sharing images while the PV2 is still in flight -- a cool feature no doubt, but if the goal is for high quality 14mpx images, rather than fast download times, the compression isn't appropriate.

Unlike the defective image sensors, the jpg compression can be likely fixed with a software upgrade. And the problem will go away entirely once the RAW file update happens. However, DJI's web site says the camera will shoot RAW. But as well documented in other threads here, the RAW files are useless with the current state of the software.

My advice to all new P2V owners -- check for purple hang gliders, and watch for the expiration of your return policy from where you purchased. And for new purchasers -- know that a flood of P2Vs are being returned to the vendors. Make sure you get one that is factory sealed. And even then, test it thoroughly. Better yet, wait until RAW is truly supported. RAW is in beta -- and Russell Brown -- Senior creative director at Adobe -- is getting amazing results with the new RAW files.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie