Phantom 2 V2 - Zenmuse - Hero4 - An AWESOME Combo

Reaction score
Had some fun this morning with my Phantom 2(v2), Zenmuse H3-3D and GoPro Hero4. This combo has been working extremely well for me. I've put about 30 flights on it already. Extremely stable and the zenmuse is handling the Hero4 without any issues. FPV signal was good all the way out til well over 1KM where I turned around. Having owned and flown every phantom all the way back to the original I'll say that this is the first one that doesn't feel overly stressed by the payload of a zenmuse, iOSD and FPV setup. If you're on the fence about upgrading, I'd definitely recommend it.

I also finally had a chance to setup my skypixel account if anyone is interested in my other work: http://www.skypixel.com/user/philip-lima

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_9Gl7FbeII[/youtube]

Gorgeous! I've been flying the P2V starting a year ago and the P2V+ starting in May, but was always looking for something better video-wise. I am very glad to hear your setup is working well for you. I now have a Hero 4 Silver, and a nice package from ExtremeUAVs came in the mail yesterday: P2 V2 with Zenmuse 3d, Futaba 14sg, iOSD, ImmersionRC. Unfortunately the second package with the Black Pearl is not coming until tomorrow. But I will be up in the air soon. I live near Santa Cruz too - hope to get some nice video like yours soon! Where was that taken from?

Are either of you using the Hero 4 Silver without issue on your gimbal? I just found out I'm getting one. I don't want to put any strain on the gimbal motors.

The usual questions.. do the motors seem to be making more noise than before? Any strange behavior like leaning etc?

Thanks for the info

Did my first 2 flights this morning: H3-3D, Hero4 Silver. Worked pretty well. I did not do the Zenmuse IMU firmware upgrade to 1.0.0.12. A little jello when I was descending fast and it was windy (8-10mph). That doesn't bother me. But I can't tell you if it makes any more noise as my system is new.

alright thanks for the info. I've heard from others now that it does work well. Mine hasn't arrived in the mail yet so I haven't tried it

To the OP: BTW that was a nice sunrise vid :cool:

laselvasurf said:
Had some fun this morning with my Phantom 2(v2), Zenmuse H3-3D and GoPro Hero4. This combo has been working extremely well for me. I've put about 30 flights on it already. Extremely stable and the zenmuse is handling the Hero4 without any issues. FPV signal was good all the way out til well over 1KM where I turned around. Having owned and flown every phantom all the way back to the original I'll say that this is the first one that doesn't feel overly stressed by the payload of a zenmuse, iOSD and FPV setup. If you're on the fence about upgrading, I'd definitely recommend it.

I also finally had a chance to setup my skypixel account if anyone is interested in my other work: http://www.skypixel.com/user/philip-lima

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_9Gl7FbeII[/youtube]

I loved it! Care to share your altitude?

knuckles said:
Are either of you using the Hero 4 Silver without issue on your gimbal? I just found out I'm getting one. I don't want to put any strain on the gimbal motors.

The usual questions.. do the motors seem to be making more noise than before? Any strange behavior like leaning etc?

Thanks for the info

Did Santa tip you off??

Stunning short video...I have been on the fence about upgrading from H3 2D to H3 3D and Hero 4. I suggest you NOT reveal the altitude, or this thread might/will take off in another direction.

knuckles said:
Are either of you using the Hero 4 Silver without issue on your gimbal? I just found out I'm getting one. I don't want to put any strain on the gimbal motors...
My P2 and Hero4 Silver work great with no issues so far.

nhoover said:
Gorgeous! I've been flying the P2V starting a year ago and the P2V+ starting in May, but was always looking for something better video-wise. I am very glad to hear your setup is working well for you. I now have a Hero 4 Silver, and a nice package from ExtremeUAVs came in the mail yesterday: P2 V2 with Zenmuse 3d, Futaba 14sg, iOSD, ImmersionRC. Unfortunately the second package with the Black Pearl is not coming until tomorrow. But I will be up in the air soon. I live near Santa Cruz too - hope to get some nice video like yours soon! Where was that taken from?

It sounds like you have a good package! Santa Cruz has a lot of awesome locations for flying... Just keep in mind the NOAA no-flight zones as the fines are huge.

This video was taken from near DeLa Viega park, up above Santa Cruz.

PhantomFanatic said:
I loved it! Care to share your altitude?

Thanks! I was just under 330FT AGL when I stopped my accent to do the pan. I know this because I have my phantom limited to 100m in the P2 software.

CameraGuy said:
Really nice.

How high do you have to go to be over the clouds. I'd like to try it?

D

I was 100m up at the highest. I know this because I have that limitation set in the P2 software. I wouldn't try to poke up through clouds unless you're in the clouds/fog as I was when I started. My initial take-off altitude was around 1000ft ASL. You'd have to get pretty high to get through most clouds, and anything above 400ft wouldn't be a good idea.

Khudson7 said:
Stunning short video...I have been on the fence about upgrading from H3 2D to H3 3D and Hero 4. I suggest you NOT reveal the altitude, or this thread might/will take off in another direction.

Most people don't realize you can get these kind of shots without going higher than 400ft. I have my phantom limited to 100m in the software. This video was shot at that limit when I did the pan.

I've taken that limitation off when flying in places I have full control of the airspace(example was when the FAA actually closed the airspace I was flying in for our project), but I like to keep it in place when flying most of the time as you can easily forget to stop your accent and end up way to high to fast.

Did you counterweight the Hero4 at all? I flew a few times with no counterweight and it performed fine, but with the gimbal powered off, it definitely tilts more than with the Hero3. I taped a coin to the side of the gimbal motor, as I had done quite a few times when using the Hero3 with a ND filter, without issue. However, this time I was greeted with a loud "beeping"/"buzzing" from the gimbal and it started going crazy all on its own. No idea what was happening, I suspect maybe the coin was slightly magnetized? It was a single Nickle.

fenris said:
Did you counterweight the Hero4 at all? I flew a few times with no counterweight and it performed fine, but with the gimbal powered off, it definitely tilts more than with the Hero3. I taped a coin to the side of the gimbal motor, as I had done quite a few times when using the Hero3 with a ND filter, without issue. However, this time I was greeted with a loud "beeping"/"buzzing" from the gimbal and it started going crazy all on its own. No idea what was happening, I suspect maybe the coin was slightly magnetized? It was a single Nickle.

I have not counterweighted the gimbal at all. I had issues with it with another H3-3D, but my current gimbal is working perfectly with the Hero4 without any modifications.

Is anyone using the DJ6 RC with the phantom 2 and H3-3D gimbal and had any problems with updating the firmware? I have read that if you have the DJ6 RC and NOT the h3-2d gimbal, like me who is using the h3-3d gimbal with DJ6 RC the RC assistant says to skip step 3 to upgrade the controllers firmware? Which step 3 says is update the gimbal firmware, so im guessing dont upgrade because im using a different gimbal? I dont want to run into trouble with my gimbal should I maybe not upgrade at all? will the Phantom Assistant know which gimbal I have?

I am seeing now there is also a firmware update for my iOSD mini, so should I update this as well and what order should I upgrade everything? RC + P2 + iOSD mini?
RC + iOSD mini + P2?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl