Phantom 2 twitchy w/ tendancy to fly away

Reaction score
New phantom 2 owner but had a phantom vision as well.

My phantom 2 has some uses. It doesnt hold position well in gps mode. Its keeps adjusting even with no wind and it twitches / jerks fast when its making corrections. Every flight i have had moments of fly away as well that usually has 5-6 seconds. Recalibtated the controller multiple times and always do the campass dance. No luck. Its just scary to fly, no knowing when it will fly away on its own.

Any thoughts (all firmware is up to date)

If his receiver wasn't set to d-bus he wouldn't be able to do anything, let alone get it up in the air.

Bunch of questions for you: When you say fly away, what do you mean? Does it go off in one direction and then come back or does it go off in one direction and keep going and you have to force it to come back? Is it going off in the same direction relative to one of the motors?

Are you waiting for the GPS home position to be recorded before taking off? Have you done an advanced calibration of the IMU? How are you doing the compass dance? Where are you flying it? What kind of area? What is nearby?

When you say it's twitchy, what do you mean? Is it possible you could post a video of it? If you think it's gonna fly away, then don't but if you feel you can control it, then give it a try.

One test you can do is to switch it into ATTI mode and do a quick take off and see if it is still twitching and jumping. If you're not familiar with different modes and how to use them, read up on them first. The P2 will act differently in each. If you need some help with them, we can certainly explain it.

Great Questions. Here on the answers :

Does it go off in one direction and then come back or does it go off in one direction and keep going and you have to force it to come back?
It will head off in 1 direction for 5-6 seconds fast and i will have to correct it but during that time when i let off it seems to continue in the direction.

Is it going off in the same direction relative to one of the motors?
No its done it 3 times and as far as i can remember no... but i have been in a bit of a panic each time so memory is not the best

Are you waiting for the GPS home position to be recorded before taking off? Have you done an advanced calibration of the IMU?
Yes and Yes always wait for GPS lock and have done the advance calibration with no change. This is my 3rd Phantom and very familiar these items.

How are you doing the compass dance?
Exactly as instructed by DJI in the quick start and full manual. Same way i have always with my other phantoms with good results on them.

Where are you flying it? What kind of area? What is nearby?
i have flown now in 3 different areas, Parks with tree no power lines, soccer fields and on my driveway at my house same results each time.

When you say it's twitchy, what do you mean?
As it hovers in gps mode it will make small jerks to one direction or the other as its autonomously flying and corrects to keep its position insted of smooth almost unnoticeable corrections to stay in 1 place. It will somewhat holds its position and altitude but just drifts alot, jerks and occasionally heads off in whatever direction it wants.

Im going to try it again in different modes. I did try it in atti mode the first time but i was so frantic that it had a mind of its own i didn't notice if it was "twitching"

Personally I'd reload the default software, do advanced cal, cal the sticks then do compass dance - then report back

By "reload the defualt software" I'm guessing you mean to force an update for the firmware again? Or am I missing something?

Hi

You say this is your third phantom and you are familiar with them but you don't know what d-bus or ppm is for the controller or load the default values for the bird. I suggest reading the online manual, all of this is explained and way more.

What are your compass values, I am curious to find out. Do you have a magnet handy?

Thanks

I just poured over all the manuals again. I I couldn't find any reference to d-bus or ppm under the phantom 2 manuals support page. I also could not find any reference to and procedure for loading defaut values. Just the standard firmware updates and calibrations. There are people from all over the world on the forum that use different terms for different things. Could you explain what is meant by defualt values?

Also since I could not find info on ppm or d-bus I would appreciate and education. I have always appreciated helpful web forums and helpful communities. If these questions are too simple for this forum and I'm out of place let me know.

P.S. I have a magnet handy :)

I see folks mentioning the default parameters or default system, but only the PHANTOM downloads page lists the availability of default parameters. The PHANTOM 2 and PHANTOM 2 VISION download pages do NOT list default parameters. So I'm thinking, correct me if I'm wrong, they are suggesting verify you have the current version of the P2 or P2V Assistant software, run it and go through EVERY page and EVERY tab and insure you have everything set correctly and perform an advanced calibration.

Buk said:
I see folks mentioning the default parameters or default system, but only the PHANTOM downloads page lists the availability of default parameters. The PHANTOM 2 and PHANTOM 2 VISION download pages do NOT list default parameters. So I'm thinking, correct me if I'm wrong, they are suggesting verify you have the current version of the Assistant software, run it and go through EVERY page and EVERY tab and insure you have everything set correctly and perform an advanced calibration.

Check, Check & Check. I have all the latest software and firmware and have ran through ever single possible setup and calibration available in both the phantom software and rc assistant software.

Go outdoors, find that perfect launch area with that flat and nearly level piece of grass, set the Phantom down and don't touch it for a bit and speak softly telling it what a good Phantom it is. Now turn on the battery and don't touch it again until you have a perfect LED sequence and course lock and home point are recorded. Now do the the compass dance. Set it back down and wait for it to settle down again. Now fly up 6 feet in the air and hover. Move around and then hover again. How did it do? Land, turn it off and take it back inside, hook it to the computer and review those three readings. Are they proper and within range? Report the results here. One of the pros will tell you what to do if the results are BAD. You may already know if you watched all of the DJI instructional videos done by Colin Guinn.

Buk said:
Go outdoors, find that perfect launch area with that flat and nearly level piece of grass, set the Phantom down and don't touch it for a bit and speak softly telling it what a good Phantom it is. Now turn on the battery and don't touch it again until you have a perfect LED sequence and course lock and home point are recorded. Now do the the compass dance. Set it back down and wait for it to settle down again. Now fly up 6 feet in the air and hover. Move around and then hover again. How did it do? Land, turn it off and take it back inside, hook it to the computer and review those three readings. Are they proper and within range? Report the results here. One of the pros will tell you what to do if the results are BAD. You may already know if you watched all of the DJI instructional videos done by Colin Guinn.

Will complete and report back.

Can you tell us what your compass values are, and have you done an advanced imu calibration?

djscoutmaster said:
New phantom 2 owner but had a phantom vision as well.

My phantom 2 has some uses. It doesnt hold position well in gps mode. Its keeps adjusting even with no wind and it twitches / jerks fast when its making corrections. Every flight i have had moments of fly away as well that usually has 5-6 seconds. Recalibtated the controller multiple times and always do the campass dance. No luck. Its just scary to fly, no knowing when it will fly away on its own.

Any thoughts (all firmware is up to date)

If it's new then return it for warranty. Sounds like a loose naza. It's not ppm d bus or any bad calibration. Phantoms shouldn't give you so much trouble out of the box. A loose naza will make your flight uncontrollable even after perfect calibration. You might of gotten a rotten one off the assembly line. Return it.

reloaded all firmware, performed advance IMU calibration and TX calibration. Its better but it just doesnt stay in 1 spot very vell my P2V will hold a 2ft box in 15mph winds...

This P2 still twitches independent of the wind and on atti mode.

at 19seconds it starts twitching and drifting all over...

[youtube]http://youtu.be/oLwGBFdIBX4[/youtube]

NEW PROBLEM! When upgrading my Zenmuse gimble firmware it disappeared off the list of firmware and is not completely un-responsive. It wont level or respond to the TX. just a limp noodle that powers my GoPro... I reloaded the main controller software and it popped back up in the assistant software but during the upgrade it said it failed and to power cycle. never seen it back on the assistance since.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 1.06.45 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 1.06.45 PM.png
    60.2 KB · Views: 455
  • Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 1.06.08 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 1.06.08 PM.png
    76.9 KB · Views: 456

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members