Phantom 2 swollen batteries

Reaction score
I have three out of three Phantom batteries that have swollen up after less than 30 charges. If I use them they tend to drop off from around 60% charge to 7% charge instantly, and cause the Phantom 2 to go into auto land mode. Do I need to replace the batteries and what can I do to stop the next set of expensive batteries going the same way?

I have three out of three Phantom batteries that have swollen up after less than 30 charges. If I use them they tend to drop off from around 60% charge to 7% charge instantly, and cause the Phantom 2 to go into auto land mode. Do I need to replace the batteries and what can I do to stop the next set of expensive batteries going the same way?

Be very careful with those and store them properly as a swollen battery is very unstable. Dispose of them properly.

With a fresh battery, start with a full charge to 100% and then run it down to about 50%. Then fully charge it again and do a close to full drain. With intelligent batteries this helps the "brains" get a feel for the battery and what its limits are so you're always getting a good readout. Through its life, always be sure to keep it around 50% if you don't plan on using it for more than a few days. Storing a battery fully charged or close to empty for longer periods of time can easily cause damage to a cell, leading to puffing or bulging.

For now, definitely be careful with those. Keep them in a Lipo bag or something fire proof until you properly dispose of them.

Best of luck,
Mike

Thanks for that Mike. I will have to order some new batteries I guess. What is the best way of disposing these swollen ones? I live in Kenya so have no proper re cycle facilities available.
Regards
Crispin

LiPo battery care/useage advice is controversial.

While I err on the conservative side, I would not discard a battery with minor puffing. I know 'minor' is ambiguous and dimensionless but some swelling is part of the life cycle.

I also don't believe they are a time-bomb either.

Where are the stories of 'intelligent ' battery failures resulting in fire, explosions, etc?

700,000 Phantoms sold, 1,000,000+ batteries in circulation???

0.1% failure= 1000 incidents. The forums would be 'on fire' (pun intended) with stories of such incidents.

Will there be 0.0% failures?, doubtful as they're designed, built, and used by humans.

Don't underestimate how dangerous any Lipo battery can be. Do take care when charging them and keep them in a suitable storage box after charging them. It may only be a 1 in 1000 chance that it catches fire, but I would rather it was not me!

Keep batteries as cool as possible - 10-12 degrees seems to suit them well. leaving them in a hot car or on a hot window sill will kill them much more quickly. I guess heat might well have shortened their life given your location!

Your disposal facilities are going to be quite limited in Kenya. Well wrapped in plastic and put into landfill might be your best option, as you do not want them getting split open, as this WILL cause a fire - as lithium reacts with air.

I've used LiPos for alomst a decade now.
Nothing readily available and in such widespread use today has more power density so they are due respect but not fear.

I too respect them but many of the issues are during charging so I agree with your diligence there.

I am not giving advice just sharing my experiences.

In fact the "swelling"is only like the plastic covers are inflating a bit.
If you feel thru the actual battery portion is not swelling.
I think I will try to recharge and see if they are still dropping off suddenly.
Last time they had been left in full charge condition for two months whilst I was away.
Reluctant to bin three expensive batteries, especial as there is not a shop around the corner I can get a replacement !!

No……. emptying and re charging doesn't work !! The batteries still seem to die off at about 65 % !! So its the bin for them !! Unfortunately !! Guess I will keep the new ones in the fridge at about 50 % charge !!!

Be very careful with those and store them properly as a swollen battery is very unstable. Dispose of them properly.

With a fresh battery, start with a full charge to 100% and then run it down to about 50%. Then fully charge it again and do a close to full drain. With intelligent batteries this helps the "brains" get a feel for the battery and what its limits are so you're always getting a good readout. Through its life, always be sure to keep it around 50% if you don't plan on using it for more than a few days. Storing a battery fully charged or close to empty for longer periods of time can easily cause damage to a cell, leading to puffing or bulging.

For now, definitely be careful with those. Keep them in a Lipo bag or something fire proof until you properly dispose of them.

Best of luck,
Mike
Mike ,
I have managed to have two new Phantom 2 batteries shipped out to Kenya.
Bearing in mind that our ambient temperatures are between 25 - 32 C and very high humidity, do you think I should store the new batteries in an air tight container in the fridge?
I have charged and de charged as you suggested, and will keep them at about 50%.
Thanks for your help.
Crispin

I'd suggest to never fly the batteries down or below 30%. I also suggest to ignore the 20 cycle 8% (DJI) rule. I was told by heli pilots that dropping down to 8% will kill the battery. What DJI want you to do with the 20 cycle rule is to "recalibrate" the battery so the meter will reflect the battery usage. I would rather my battery meter to be slightly out whack then my battery going puffy and randomly auto landing.

And finally, I think you should look at purchasing batteries from a battery manufacturer (limefeul/venom offer 12mths). I used to be a DJI battery advocate, but after 4/5 of failing/puffying up on me at average 30 fuming cycles!!!..

If I were you and if you want to get justice, purchase a battery from a dealer as they don't record the serial. Use the new receipt and send back your puffy battery with the new receipt. I don't think this is a rort as DJI is rorting you, promising 300 cycles and giving you a 90 day warranty for a $150 battery. Pathetic!!! At $150 a pop, its about $5 a flight which is about $20 an hour if you get 15m airtime per a flight.

And don't dispose the battery. Buy an ammo canister and store them. Some one on this forum will come up with a simple hack for the batteries.

Reactions: handygeek.ricky
I'm going to add my 2 cents worth. When the battery v2.6 update ( no longer available as DJI pulled it) was released I updated all 5 of my batteries two of which auto landed at 40%. Those two batteries still work and auto land at 7% and both are puffy but of course they're flight time is shorter then the newer ones.

This idea of ignoring of discharging batteries down to 8% after 20 cycles is allot of crap. Discharging down of to 8% will not kill those batteries as I have been doing so with each of mine with no ill effects whatsoever.

Disposing of batteries in Kenya should be no different then any other large city. But the idea of wrapping a battery up in plastic and dumping in a landfill is ludicrous. Check with some of the electronic stores to see if they have battery recycling.

Reactions: Jayson Hanes
There are A LOT of people with slightly puffed P2 batteries. I have 3 out of 6 total. The puffing usually starts around 50 cycles. They exhibit pretty much the same behavior, rapid discharge from just over half full to single digits. There's no easy way to revive them.

They're probably not any more of a fire risk than an un-puffed DJI lipo but if the puffing is any more than very slight, you should consider safe disposal.

There are A LOT of people with slightly puffed P2 batteries. I have 3 out of 6 total. The puffing usually starts around 50 cycles. They exhibit pretty much the same behavior, rapid discharge from just over half full to single digits. There's no easy way to revive them.

They're probably not any more of a fire risk than an un-puffed DJI lipo but if the puffing is any more than very slight, you should consider safe disposal.

The two batteries are puffy started before 30 cycles and they are over a year old. But being able update those two before DJI cut v2.6 off I'm still able to use them without any problems.

I'd suggest to never fly the batteries down or below 30%. I also suggest to ignore the 20 cycle 8% (DJI) rule. I was told by heli pilots that dropping down to 8% will kill the battery. What DJI want you to do with the 20 cycle rule is to "recalibrate" the battery so the meter will reflect the battery usage. I would rather my battery meter to be slightly out whack then my battery going puffy and randomly auto landing.

And finally, I think you should look at purchasing batteries from a battery manufacturer (limefeul/venom offer 12mths). I used to be a DJI battery advocate, but after 4/5 of failing/puffying up on me at average 30 fuming cycles!!!..

If I were you and if you want to get justice, purchase a battery from a dealer as they don't record the serial. Use the new receipt and send back your puffy battery with the new receipt. I don't think this is a rort as DJI is rorting you, promising 300 cycles and giving you a 90 day warranty for a $150 battery. Pathetic!!! At $150 a pop, its about $5 a flight which is about $20 an hour if you get 15m airtime per a flight.

And don't dispose the battery. Buy an ammo canister and store them. Some one on this forum will come up with a simple hack for the batteries.
Has anyone has any experiance with limefuel batteries? They look somwhat cheaper anyhow !

Is putting my batteries in a air tight container in the fridge, such a stupid idea ?
As our ambient temp is always + - 30 C
Anyone tried these lime fuel batteries?

Folks have all kinds of rituals.

Never done it, used LiPos since '06.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic