Phantom 2 Standard - WiFi and Internet?

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this so forgive me if this is a stupid question!

I have ordered a Phantom3 Standard and while waiting for it to arrive I've downloaded the manual and read it cover to cover several times.

I intend to use a Samsung S4 phone or, more likely, an Asus Nexus7 with the app.

My questions are about Wifi, internet connection and the DJI Go app that don't seem to be explained in the manual.

1. Does the Map feature rely on internet to connect to Google Maps?
2. As the mobile device is connected by WiFi to the drone, how do I get a connection to the internet?
3. Do I need to be flying in an area with a good WiFi internet connection to use Maps and live streaming?
4. Do I need to use WiFi for the drone link and mobile data on my phone for internet connection. (obviously the Nexus7 doesn't have mobile data)?

The manual simply says you can do this and you can do that but nowhere does it explain how to have a Wifi connection to the drone and a data connection to the internet at the same time

Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere or I am just being dumb.

Thanks for any helpful answers.

Nigel

Last edited:
Does the Map feature rely on internet to connect to Google Maps?
Yes. You can cache the maps in DJI GO while your have an Internet connection before you head out to fly. Or, you could use a mobile device that has a cellular connection.

As the mobile device is connected by WiFi to the drone, how do I get a connection to the internet?
You'll need a mobile device that has a cellular connection.

Do I need to be flying in an area with a good WiFi internet connection to use Maps and live streaming?
For the maps, the map images just need to be cached. You will need an active Internet connection in order to stream video footage to YouTube though.

Do I need to use WiFi for the drone link and mobile data on my phone for internet connection. (obviously the Nexus7 doesn't have mobile data)?
Yes.

Yes. You can cache the maps in DJI GO while your have an Internet connection before you head out to fly. Or, you could use a mobile device that has a cellular connection.

You'll need a mobile device that has a cellular connection.

For the maps, the map images just need to be cached. You will need an active Internet connection in order to stream video footage to YouTube though.

Yes.

Most devices do not allow a cellular connection at the same time as an internet data connection.

I also notice that the App needs to be connecteed to the drone by WiFi and also to the internet in order to perform a firmware update.

DJI just say it can be done but are very unclear in all their paperwork about exactly how. They say the drone controller is compatible with Nexus7 but never mention the need for a cellulay data connection!

I also notice that the App needs to be connecteed to the drone by WiFi and also to the internet in order to perform a firmware update.
You disconnect and reconnect to the Phantom's Wi-Fi during this process. The DJI GO app will prompt you to do this.

Ah, OK, thanks.

DJI just brush over the wifi/cellular data thing in their paperwork - not very helpful of them!

Get better answeres here :)

N

People here have had to figure out what they missed in the printing of the manual.
Which you have to print yourself.
The package has batteries included, but not a manual.
o_O

Reactions: Niglov
Hahaha, yes RodPad, that is why I thought I should download the manual and study it while I wait for the drone to be delivered! :)

And I find they completely gloss over the subject of simultaneous drone WiFi and Internet data connection. Probably because they know it's not possible! :-(

N

Last edited:
It's obvious you can't do both at the same time. But let's say I am flying my P2V and I happen to lose FPV. What if I back out of my Litchi app and then connect specifically to my home's wifi and internet? Then I could run my Flytrex app and track my Phantom until the bird gets back into FPV range. Then reconnect with the bird.

But each time I try it, the **** Phantom has reconnected with my device.

Dammit.

Just thinking about this. Has anyone tried this with any success?

How aboit if I use the Nexus7 wifi to connect to the controller and the the Go app and then create a wifi hotspot on my S4 phone using mobile data. Can I then connect the Nexus to the phone using Bluetooth and get an Internet data connection, thereby being connected to the internet and the drone at the same time?

Probably not but worth asking! ;-)

Having a iphone (IOS) and Android for a tablet, I could never make a bluetooth connection with internet, I have to use WiFi. Actually never made any bluetooth connection between them.
Give it try.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl