Phantom 2 Power Issue

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a nearly new Phantom 2 with a 3D-HD GoPro 3+. It has around 10 flights over 2 batteries. The problem is at high battery levels (upto 70%) I experience periodic power loss, not total power loss but enough to cause the Phantom to drop to the ground - blades still turning but descent is faster than a failsafe landing. It also hits the ground rather than gently bounces with the failsafe. If, as soon as it starts dropping, I apply full throttle nothing happens until I am about 6 - 12 inches off the ground where it stops and starts rising normally again. I can then fly normally until it happens again which could be anything from 1 to 8 or so minutes later.

I have tried...
1. Latest firmware
2. Checked failsafe levels set normally
3. Checked GoPro WiFi off
4. Fully cycled batteries

Has anybody else experienced this or have any ideas what it could be?

Thanks

Looks like you might be experiencing VRS.. Are the propellers by DJI or some other brand.. I am only saying because I got a set of Chinese propellers and my P2 would do that all the time.. I could easily recover by pushing full throttle and pitching the Phantom forward or backwards but I had a few close calls... Now I only fly DJI's as they are already balanced by them..

RetroArchangel said:
The propellers are stock DJI. What does VRS stand for?

VRS - Vortex Ring State - IE: Prop Wash

Hi....I have the same issue, and I think that it was a problem with the battery power also, don't dismiss the VRS, you must fly safely but..first check the go pro battery for fully charge, because the gimbal charge it anyway and <(I think) that will take power from the battery of the phantom causing this...so if the go pro battery is full charge the phantom don't charger it...I'm testing that....thanks and sorry my little English....

I very much doubt if that's the issue. The power drain of the GoPro is completely negligible compared to that of the motors.

I suppose you do not have FPV or IOSD mini to actually see what the voltage is? Any seen battery puffing/swelling?

Battery % is not always correct. Phantom has built in failsafe to auto descend if voltage gets around 10.6-7 volts.

Thanks for answer! I'm trying everything to find out what happen with my phantom 2, I have zenmuse h3-3d, iOSD mini, datalink for waypoint and AVL 5.8 transmitter, and I notice that when I go out to fly with the go pro battery discharge that happened . I appreciate every tips you can gave me. Thanks again....and again sorry my little english

panchogalera said:
Thanks for answer! I'm trying everything to find out what happen with my phantom 2, I have zenmuse h3-3d, iOSD mini, datalink for waypoint and AVL 5.8 transmitter, and I notice that when I go out to fly with the go pro battery discharge that happened . I appreciate every tips you can gave me. Thanks again....and again sorry my little english
No problem. We will work through English translations. We have to do that with DJI's manuals ;)

GoPro battery shouldn't be an issue. As stated, the current draw is negligable. I have flown with a low GoPro battery with no problems.
I doubt VRS too, sice that has been pretty much eliminated with slow descent since ver. 3.04
I would check all contacts form the battery and do some measurements to see if maybe you have the faulty batteries that were floating around for some time.

Ok Fyod! I'll check the battery but I have 5 new batteries and also a Phantom 2 vision + using the same batteries without any problem!! Only with the phantom 2 got this issue. I don't have any idea what may cause this. If anyone has please tell us. Again thanks to all!

I'm not an expert on this, but I would open up the Phantom and check all of the solder connections. I wonder if the main connections from the battery are bad and are intermittently dropping the power out. If EMCSQUAR is around and sees this, he could shed some more light on it.
Just a suggestion.

^ Yep, that's what I would check next.

dmagnus said:
I'm not an expert on this, but I would open up the Phantom and check all of the solder connections. I wonder if the main connections from the battery are bad and are intermittently dropping the power out. If EMCSQUAR is around and sees this, he could shed some more light on it.
Just a suggestion.

I'm new here, and a new Phantom 2 owner, but this was my first thought.

Having a bit of an electrical/technical background the things I would check in order are 1) Battery [power %, life issues] 2) Battery connection issues [dirty, loose terminals] 3) Internal power connection issues [poor solder, loose 5v cable to the main board, loose cable to the battery terminals].

It seems you eliminated the first two so I'd go with checking the solder connections.

Hi people!...I'm doing some fly-tests with the go pro charged and with the go pro disconnected only powered the gimbal and so far I don't have any bad episode yet, I'll continued with this testing for a couple of days and posting the results...by now I'm sure that the go pro discharged is the responsable of my phantom problem....thanks everybody

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj