Phantom 2 or Naza M Flight Mode?

Reaction score
Hi all, Newbie here. Just recieved my Phantom 2 today. Been lurking here for about a month trying the learn everything I can. What I'm still unclear about is the difference between Phantom mode and Naza mode. Which one is commonly used? What's the difference? I did a search here but it wasn't much help. Sorry if this question has already been asked a million times. If there is a thread about this, please point me to it. Thanks!

Got this from the manual. Kind of answers my question but why do they suggest not using Naza mode until you're experienced? I've flown RC aircraft a lot, just never the Phantom. Still unclear about what the difference between the two is.

"Users should not enable the Naza-M function before finishing Advanced Flight Maneuvers
procedure in the " PHANTOM Pilot Training Guide”. If the Naza-M mode is enabled, users can
switch the control mode between ATTI. Mode, GPS Mode or Manual Mode, and access the
advanced settings (e.g. IOC). In addition, the LED located on the rear frame arms will display
Naza-M flight status indications instead of the PHANTOM 2's indicators. Do not enable the
Naza-M mode unless you are an experienced user or guided by a professional.
(2) You can change to the Phantom 2 mode by clicking the same button used to turn on the Naza-M
mode. This operation will disable the Naza-M mode and enable Phantom 2 mode. All parameters
will be returned to factory settings."

The manual has pretty scant info on this. Phantom mode is the dumbed down no options mode for use out-of-the-box by people who've never flown anything before. It keeps them out of trouble by limiting them to only GPS mode. S1 and S2 do almost nothing.

Naza M mode enables ATTI, failsafe/manual, and the IOC modes of home lock and course lock via S1 and S2. For details on those functions, the manual and other threads here should give you plenty of detail. Also, note the light indications are different in Naza M mode.

Just be careful enabling them as each of the flight modes cause very different behavior from the Phantom.

DesertFlyer53 said:
Got it. Thanks for the info! I think I've got enough experience to go straight to Naza mode. Been flying RC aircraft pretty much all my life.

That's more than me! Just be sure to get the feel for ATTI and the IOC modes with a little bit of space. A good analogy is GPS mode is like driving a car with the handbrake on while ATTI is like driving a car without brakes.

ianwood said:
DesertFlyer53 said:
Got it. Thanks for the info! I think I've got enough experience to go straight to Naza mode. Been flying RC aircraft pretty much all my life.

That's more than me! Just be sure to get the feel for ATTI and the IOC modes with a little bit of space. A good analogy is GPS mode is like driving a car with the handbrake on while ATTI is like driving a car without brakes.

Then what would you compare manual mode to? :eek:

DesertFlyer53 said:
ianwood said:
DesertFlyer53 said:

Then what would you compare manual mode to? :eek:

Like driving a car off a cliff and trying to fly it!

I flew in Phantom mode for the first 2 months until I was confident enough in that "simple" mode.

I then changed to NazaM mode, mainly to enable IOC mode.

I use the P2 mainly for aerial video (non commercial of course) and I love course lock mode for filming....... I usually just fly in a straight line and rotate the P2 on its axis as I pass the subject. Trying to do that in Phantom mode was (at least for me) very difficult.

As mentioned, the light sequences change, so read up on that.

Also I found if you want to change modes in flight, it's better to "stop" / hover..... otherwise if you have any stick applied and changed modes, the phantom suddenly reacts to the same stick input now in a completely new way, which can be a bit unexpected.

Also if you are going to use course lock mode, think about how you want your flying grid to be oriented before you place the phantom on the ground, because after about 30 seconds it locks the forward facing position for use with course lock. I always try to line the Phantom up with other lines, for example the side of a playing field or something.... this helps me remember my grid easily

SARC said:
I flew in Phantom mode for the first 2 months until I was confident enough in that "simple" mode.

I then changed to NazaM mode, mainly to enable IOC mode.

I use the P2 mainly for aerial video (non commercial of course) and I love course lock mode for filming....... I usually just fly in a straight line and rotate the P2 on its axis as I pass the subject. Trying to do that in Phantom mode was (at least for me) very difficult.

As mentioned, the light sequences change, so read up on that.

Also I found if you want to change modes in flight, it's better to "stop" / hover..... otherwise if you have any stick applied and changed modes, the phantom suddenly reacts to the same stick input now in a completely new way, which can be a bit unexpected.

Also if you are going to use course lock mode, think about how you want your flying grid to be oriented before you place the phantom on the ground, because after about 30 seconds it locks the forward facing position for use with course lock. I always try to line the Phantom up with other lines, for example the side of a playing field or something.... this helps me remember my grid easily

Good info! Thanks for sharing. I went straight to Naza mode for my first flight today. It went well! :)

this is good information for me being a newbie . I just got mine last night and did my first flight in phantom mode.
it seems to me that having theNaza m enabled give you the failsafe option. If I am correct you don't have that option in the default setting in phantom mode?

Hi,
"failsafe option. If I am correct you don't have that option in the default setting in phantom mode?"

Just switch the RC off, I think that's the same thing?. I've done it a few times to build my confidence. :)

thanks for the failsafe comment..i learned that today from a friend with 2 years experience.
i am glad that is built in as a default as i am not quite ready for naza m mode.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20