Phantom 2 or F450

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm new here and I'm looking to purchase a quadcopter setup relatively soon. The phantom units look to be very nice and chances are, if I don't get the F450, I'll get a phantom. However, there is a F450 being sold locally that looks like it may be a decent deal. I wanted to get your guys opinion on whether I should go for it or look into getting a new phantom. My wife and I are planning on using it for video on a car camping trip along the east coast of the US and in the Big Island of Hawaii where we're moving. The big thing we're looking for is a better platform for video but we know next to nothing about quadcopters. Here's the specs on it $650:

2x F450 quadcopter kits (one used one new and not put together)
Naza v1
GPS module
FS-TH9X with new Tx module (comes with original)
flashed with er9x firmware
flash writer is built-in/included
1 3600 Mah pack and
3 5000 Mah packs

For additional cost:
Fatshark Base edition goggle
ImmersionRC 5.8 GHz 600mW vTx and vRx
Brand new LCD monitor that I never took out of the box

This being a Phantom 2 forum I think you'll probably find the majority will tell you to buy a P2! I've got no experience with the 450 however I can tell you the video quality from the P2 is excellent.

I'd suggest the Phantom 2 for what you're planning, Mike. The 450 you're looking at is a fairly decent deal if it's in great shape, but the 450 starts to get a little bulky for travel and the Phantom is about the most efficient platform for trips and vacations (even on the road vs flying). You'll probably end up getting longer flight times from the Phantom as well.

This has not been my experience at all. I find the video quality of my Phantom dreadful, and I'm not a perfectionist. That said, I have not yet put a Zenmuse on my F450.

To address the first person's question more broadly, if you want convenience, ease of transport and set-up, and longer flight times, the P2 is by far the better choice. I would not have great expectations about video quality, however.

goldfishrock said:
This being a Phantom 2 forum I think you'll probably find the majority will tell you to buy a P2! I've got no experience with the 450 however I can tell you the video quality from the P2 is excellent.

adanac said:
This has not been my experience at all. I find the video quality of my Phantom dreadful, and I'm not a perfectionist.

Really? What sort of things are you seeing?

adanac said:
This has not been my experience at all. I find the video quality of my Phantom dreadful, and I'm not a perfectionist. That said, I have not yet put a Zenmuse on my F450.

To address the first person's question more broadly, if you want convenience, ease of transport and set-up, and longer flight times, the P2 is by far the better choice. I would not have great expectations about video quality, however.

goldfishrock said:

I have a p2 Zemuse gimbal. Hero 3+black and I am getting great footage right out of the box no post processing. I did get extended and wider legs so i can maneuver a little faster laterally and still get a great shot. I have no idea why you get a better footage from F450.

I too stuck to p2 because of ease of use and transportability.

I researched for months and compared these exact two quads. Ended up going with the P2 because it seems a lot more user friendly for beginners. I figured I'd start with this one and when I get more confident with flying and filming, if I feel the need to upgrade and customize, I'd consider the F450 or the hex.

It's quite portable if you get a case for it, which I did. I recently brought it on vacation to the Virgin Islands and shot some down there. Here are two quick vids. No post processing. Just some clips, playing with panning. I have the GoPro Hero 3 Silver.

https://vimeo.com/89367975

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=js91iqv2B1I[/youtube]

I get uncontrolled yaw and frequently it's back and forth like a pendulum. I also get general vibration (I don't think jello) and occasional shudders, as if it's "cold." I've tried basic and advanced calibrations, changing gains, balancing props, etc. Strongly wind-related, certainly, but it's hard not to imagine there is something wrong with it.

That said, I do need a better understanding of gain. I might be able to do better with that.

In any case, the problems with the P2 have led me to buy an F550. I'm hoping that will be better but I'm really not so sure. I know people who have an F550 and they say it "seems" like it's better than the P2, which is not a strong endorsement. I want to make money shooting so I need something stable.

goldfishrock said:
adanac said:
This has not been my experience at all. I find the video quality of my Phantom dreadful, and I'm not a perfectionist.

Really? What sort of things are you seeing?

Wouldnot go near the phantom! Ten charges on mine before un controllable flat spin crashes. Now shakes on take off and uncontrollable. Sent it in for service yesterday. Always callibrated and imu status checked.I had the flame wheel 550 and had a hundred flights on it....no problems!! Go with the 450. OR....the tbs discovery pro. Just ordered one and as soon as the p2 comes home..it gets sold.
I'm seeing quite a few posts on phantom problems. Sorry to be so down on the P2 and maybe should give it a second chance once it returns from service. But just purchased it in January!
Good luck!

-video from a phantom with no gimbal will always look crappy
-video from a F450 with no gimbal will look only slightly better, as it's far more stable,. but still unprofessional I'd say

But that said, for $979, the new Phantom 2 with 3-axis Zenmuse is a solid value, and will no doubt produce some really solid video.
and for that price, you get some really good flying time,a better NAZA v2, and a solid package that fits in a carrying case.
considering the gimbal itself is going to be selling for nearly $500, you really can't beat the price.

I have my Phantom 1, built a really nice F450 (that flew away), and building another 450 to replace it
But it takes some knowledge to build a 450, and my total cost is approaching about $1300 , fully loaded)
and it's far from a "travel" quad. (which is why I keep my Phantom around).

I don't think the OP is prepared to build and travel with a Discovery Pro, at least not from what he said his experience level is. I'm an advanced beginner and I'm still trying to figure out my Disco Pro!

I am also discouraged by my P2 but, based on what the OP says he want's do to, I see no alternative to it for him. Who knows, maybe he'll love it. Many people do.

Justgregg said:
Wouldnot go near the phantom! Ten charges on mine before un controllable flat spin crashes. Now shakes on take off and uncontrollable. Sent it in for service yesterday. Always callibrated and imu status checked.I had the flame wheel 550 and had a hundred flights on it....no problems!! Go with the 450. OR....the tbs discovery pro. Just ordered one and as soon as the p2 comes home..it gets sold.
I'm seeing quite a few posts on phantom problems. Sorry to be so down on the P2 and maybe should give it a second chance once it returns from service. But just purchased it in January!
Good luck!

adanac said:
I don't think the OP is prepared to build and travel with a Discovery Pro, at least not from what he said his experience level is. I'm an advanced beginner and I'm still trying to figure out my Disco Pro!

I am also discouraged by my P2 but, based on what the OP says he want's do to, I see no alternative to it for him. Who knows, maybe he'll love it. Many people do.

I lot of people dig their P2's, and you really can't beat the fact that they'll fit in a cheap carrying case along with Tx and other stuff.

Plus, if the OP gets hooked and wants to step into a bigger quad, unlike custom builds, the resale value is much better for a Phantoms

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.