Phantom 2 Not working after firmware upgrade

Reaction score
I recently replaced the GPS on my P2, as the previous one was cracked and malfunctioning. I did have firmware 1.08 on it. After replacing the GPS I took it out and did a test flight and it seemed ok.
I checked the dji site and saw that there was a new version for the firmware. I upgraded to v3.12 and now I can't get the motors to start anymore. It just does a slow (2s) yellow blinking on the rear lights. If I try to start the motors, I get 5 red flashes on the rear lights, then it goes back to slow flashing yellow again.
I tried recalibrating, hard resetting, recalibrating again, etc to no avail. Batteries are fine. (no, I'm not near an airport)

I don't understand what happened. It worked fine before, now nothing. Very frustrating. It seems that I can't even go back to 1.08 either. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Thanks!

That's the behavior you get when the GPS is either not plugged in or otherwise not working.

Welcome to the forum :)
When you did the upgrade did you have your TX on ?
Not sure if that would make a difference just wondering ?

I tried it both ways with the TX, since you asked. No difference.

This was a brand new GPS board too. Anyway of testing it? Any chance there is something wrong on the main circuit board or the Naza itself? I'd hate to spend another $170 on another GPS board.

Just had to get another one and they are high !! Did ya try unplugging it and putting it back ?
Like maybe it just didn't make good contact ?

I recently replaced the GPS on my P2, as the previous one was cracked and malfunctioning. I did have firmware 1.08 on it. After replacing the GPS I took it out and did a test flight and it seemed ok.
I checked the dji site and saw that there was a new version for the firmware. I upgraded to v3.12 and now I can't get the motors to start anymore. It just does a slow (2s) yellow blinking on the rear lights. If I try to start the motors, I get 5 red flashes on the rear lights, then it goes back to slow flashing yellow again.
I tried recalibrating, hard resetting, recalibrating again, etc to no avail. Batteries are fine. (no, I'm not near an airport)

I don't understand what happened. It worked fine before, now nothing. Very frustrating. It seems that I can't even go back to 1.08 either. Does anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this?

Thanks!

After upgrading the firmware did you calibrate the RC and the P2 including an advanced IMU? If not do so and make sure the RC is in mode 2 and all the sticks on the P2 are in the normal position. Also if that is the new RC controller and P2 v2 NV that upgrade version is checked in the P2 assistant software under the basic tab marked rc.

Not to be the noob here, but it sounds like you're in a DJI no-fly zone.

I would start with Jason's suggestion, and do a full calibration, especially Advanced IMU.

Well I noticed something yesterday. On the firmware screen it is not showing any info for the GPS. Is it possible that the previous version of the firmware (1.08) didn't care if there was a GPS attached?
Like I said, it worked until I upgraded the firmware. When I replaced the GPS board, after the test flight I came in and flashed the firmware, not even thinking to check to see if the GPS was even listed. I just assumed it was.

I ordered another GPS board, and if it works, I'll know I got a bad replacement board. If it doesn't work, then there must be something wrong with the circuit board or the naza module.

How does your compass plug in?

If you have a GPS board with a compass plug on it, the compass *must* plug into it for the GPS to work.

I thought the compass connected to the part connected to one of the legs. There is a difference between the original GPS board and the new one. The old one only has the one connector on it that connects to the gps port on the main board. The new gps board has that plus an additional connector. But there are no open connectors on the main board, to connect it to.

I had the new compass and GPS put on my bird and this is where it was on mine.
Compass.jpg

cable on right went to compass and slot behind it was for GPS

The compass (ie, the part on the leg) *must* connect to the GPS (not to the main board) if the GPS has a compass plug on it. If the GPS does not have a compass plug, then the compass must connect to the main board.

The compass (ie, the part on the leg) *must* connect to the GPS (not to the main board) if the GPS has a compass plug on it. If the GPS does not have a compass plug, then the compass must connect to the main board.
o_O

Sorry to take so long to get back to everyone. cityzen was absolutely correct. There are apparently 2 different compasses being shipped. One without the compass plug, the other with the compass plug. I already received the new one, plugged it in and it showed up in the update tab for firmware. I removed it, plugged the other one in that has the compass plug, attached the compass to it, and it showed up in the update tab for firmware now. So, it looks like I have a spare now.

So the next step was re-calibrating everything once again and giving it a go. I did the advanced calibration. I took it out for its first flight, and seemed to have some issues getting the compass to calibrate. After about 5 tries, it seemed to be working. I get the green light that it has the satellites, so gps is looking good. So I take off and try a test flight. Seems to be ok for a few minutes, then it acts like it lost the signal to the TX and starts its emergency landing sequence.

Replaced the batteries in the TX, re-calibrate, and replace the compass, since I had a spare, just in case.

Next flight seems to be much better. It is acting a little "squirrely" though. Its kind of "jumpy" when it is hovering. I know that it has a 3 foot error range. It's not flying off crazily, but compared to when I first bought it, where it kind of drifted slightly at a lazy pace, now you can hear the motors sort of over revving and then compensating for it.

So, on to my next questions:
1. When I did the advanced calibration, I did it indoors. Should I be doing it outdoors?
2. Do you think this has to do with the gain settings? Mine are set at the default.
3. Does this behaviour indicate an issue with a motor(s)?

Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj