Phantom 2 Motherboard Identification

Reaction score
I'm new at this.
I have looked all over the net and through all of the manuals and can find nothing.
I am trying to install a NAZA-M v2 to my Phantom 2 (Non-Vision).
Perhaps if one or more of you who are more advanced could identify by number the ports on the board I might be able to figure things out.
I will be making a video to install properly the NAZA-M v2 to the Phantom 2 if I ever figure it out.
The picture is very large so you can easily see the ports. If you are going to tackle the task of naming the ports you can save it to your computer and view it there. I will also upload a smaller image in a following comment.
Thank you for doing this!
Robert
phantom2board.jpg

I know most of the ports on there but not all....but I can tell you for sure that the cable you have coming out of #6 is plugged in to the wrong place on the NAZA, it goes in to the EXP port on the other end. In fact, it looks like you have the NAZA mounted backwards.

What are the two big grey canbus plugs for? The ones you have plugged in to the LED and EXP ports.

OI Photography said:
I know most of the ports on there but not all....but I can tell you for sure that the cable you have coming out of #6 is plugged in to the wrong place on the NAZA, it goes in to the EXP port on the other end. In fact, it looks like you have the NAZA mounted backwards.

What are the two big grey canbus plugs for? The ones you have plugged in to the LED and EXP ports.

Yes, I am a complete mess. I am trying to install the following...
NAZA-M v2 and the ipad Groundstation air module.
I am completely lost and fully aware that I probably have all kinds of things wrong. I did think I had the NAZA in correctly though.
If there is any way to get me correct instructions I would appreciate it. The Phantom 2 manual does not cover the NAZA.
The NAZA manual does not cover the Phantom 2.
I am due delivery on a CAN module so I can have everything plugged in including the H3-D3.
If I had a picture of where the wires go properly I could probably figure it out.
ANY help would be appreciated. It is just sitting there waiting for me to figure this out.
Thanks,
Robert

Understood, and there isn't really any official documentation on replacing the P2 version of the NAZA v2 with an off-the-shelf version. Can I ask why you're attempting it in the first place?

I'll identify as many of the ports for you as I can, but there's very few of them you need to worry about for this. After looking at #6 closer, it's actually the connection from the NAZA to the mainboard to control the motors, and your NAZA isn't backwards

1, 4, 7, 10: ESC ports (for the speed controllers in each arm)
2: + lead to battery connector
3: - lead to battery connector
5: Fan (not used)
6: Motor control
8: Receiver connection A, plugs in to X1 on the NAZA
9: Receiver connection B, plugs in to X2 on the NAZA
11: Has 2 cables. The one with a 4-pin plug is the data connection to the NAZA, plugs in to EXP port. The one with a 3-pin plug is the power for the NAZA, plugs in to X3
12: Compass port (cable from the leg). The big black port hidden by that cable in your pic (and not numbered) is for the GPS cable in the lid of the Phantom
13: For the CANBUS port on the other leg
14: (I'm not sure what's supposed to be connected to that one)
15: Data connection to battery (to monitor and validate it)
16: Zenmuse gimbal connection
17: Video and power output for OSD/FPV Transmitter
18: NAZA v2
19: Receiver board
20: Connection for temp sensor (Not used, in regular P2 anyway)

Go ahead and disconnect the big grey plugs in the NAZA's EXP and LED ports. The plug that goes in the LED port is off the side of your picture to the right (the cable that runs between the numbers 5 and 6). The plug for the EXP port is on connection #11 in your pic as mentioned above.

If you follow the descriptions above, you should have your NAZA installed and connected properly. To add the Data Link module, you just need to connect it to the CANBUS port (the big black one) attached to the front leg. Nothing needs to be connected inside the Phantom. I'm not sure what "CAN module" you have on the way, but unless the one on the leg is missing, you won't need whatever it is.

I hope that helps some, it seems like you might be overcomplicating things a bit in your mind ;)

I hope that helps some, it seems like you might be overcomplicating things a bit in your mind ;)

Thank you,
I will give it a look. I am a computer repair person and thought this should be easy. But this is a whole new area of knowledge that you guys have. Props!

pixmanlajunta said:
I am a computer repair person and thought this should be easy.

It is, and someone with your background will think so too once you have your mind around the basic design principles used in multirotors...and then all the ways DJI deviates from them :D

Yeah, you can forget the CANBUS hub if that's what you ordered, it's unnecessary and a lot of wasted weight. If you ordered a CANBUS port you probably don't need that either as your Phantom should have one on the leg already.

Let us know if you have any more questions

Thank you so much for your help. It looks like everything pretty much went in the same place as the previous "Phantom" FC.
One more question. The USB port on the outside of the case ends in a 4 port plug. Where does that go?
Thanks again.
Robert

pixmanlajunta said:
Thank you so much for your help. It looks like everything pretty much went in the same place as the previous "Phantom" FC.
One more question. The USB port on the outside of the case ends in a 4 port plug. Where does that go?
Thanks again.
Robert

Ahhh...that's sounds like the one connection I couldn't find for #14 in your diagram. I bet you'll find the plug on the cable fits in that port perfectly.

I would be interested in why you want to change the NAZA?

You mentioned Ground Station, not sure if having it is the reason you want to change it - however GS works with the supplied NAZA with the appropriate firmware upgrade.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

To: pixmanlajunta
Thanks for the image.

To: OI Photography
Thanks for number info.

I had to get a new case for my Phantom 2 after a crash and I sure wish I had that info prior to swapping every thing out. I just did a hand drawing before I disconnected the stuff so I could make sure I put it back together right. This would have made it simpler I've searched DJI's site and couldn't find this information and in fact found this through a Bing image search.

After the crash I figured out what caused the Phantom 2 to hit a tree while testing the "fail safe" feature because something similar happened at the other side of my house with only one prop damaged. This crash not only damaged the case but damaged the Zenmuse gimbal which I assume the dealer is going to have to send it back to China to fix. Anyway, I'm pretty sure the crash(es) were caused by flying to near my house which has a steel roof. Dumb, I now know, but being a newbie I at least had the sense to calibrate the compass way out in front of my house (about an acre distant). Just didn't think about that roof when flying up by the house. In both cases the drone found the GPS takeoff point perfectly but on descent from the 20 meters slowly drifted towards the house. Panicking I couldn't flip the switches fast enough to take back control and it hit tree branches about 6' from the house and then fell straight down about 25'.
Expensive lesson learned!

your picture shows the naza mounted in the right direction. there is even a tiny arrow on top. also no 6 is correct.

OI Photography said:
pixmanlajunta said:
Thanks again.
Robert

Ahhh...that's sounds like the one connection I couldn't find for #14 in your diagram. I bet you'll find the plug on the cable fits in that port perfectly.

Nope; the USB port plugs into the "LED" port on the NAZA (red wire toward the outside).

Port #14 is labelled "Exp" (expansion?) on the motherboard. It's not plugged in to anything.

For informational purposes, the motor control plug #6 goes into the bottom row of pins.

Also, port #5 is used on the Vision 2+, with just the middle wire attaching to the Wifi module (to the white plug near the antenna connectors).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik