Phantom 2 Main Controller Firmware update v3.02 2014-04-30

Reaction score
http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-2/download

link shows new main controller firmware update
whats in the update?
DJI PHANTOM 2 Firmware 3.2 has been released.
Please upgrade the main controller Firmware to v3.2 using the Assistant software v3.0. Download the latest Assistant software:
http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-2-downloads/

Important:

1. Make sure to reconfigure all parameters and recalibrate the
Transmitter in the Assistant software after upgrading the firmware.
What’s new?

Firmware

1. Stability when carrying heavy payloads improved. Maximum descent
speed restricted to 2m/s.
Upgrade Notes

1. Upgrade the main controller and central board firmware to the
latest version using PHANTOM 2 Assistant V3.0 otherwise there will
be malfunction caused by version mismatch.

2. Upgrade iOSD mini, iOSD Mark II firmware to the latest version
before using them with PHANTOM 2.

Re: Phantom 2 Main Controller Firmware update v3.02 2014-04

April 30, 2014 PHANTOM 2 Firmware V3.02 has been released
What’s new?
Stability when carrying heavy payloads improved Maximum descent speed restricted to 2m/s

Not a biggie

Stability when carrying heavy payloads is good news, my phantom weights 1340 grams

d4ddyo said:
What’s new?
Stability when carrying heavy payloads improved Maximum descent speed restricted to 2m/s

Not a biggie

onfourblades said:
Stability when carrying heavy payloads is good news, my phantom weights 1340 grams

d4ddyo said:
What’s new?

Not a biggie

everything helps.. i hate tho when they say heavy... what's heavy mean? all relative. 1.3 kg? what the hell are you carrying?

d4ddyo said:
onfourblades said:

d4ddyo said:
What’s new?

Not a biggie

everything helps.. i hate tho when they say heavy... what's heavy mean? all relative. 1.3 kg? what the hell are you carrying?
1340 grams!

Phantom 2 ----929 grams
4 Props --------- 47 grams
Battery --------- 364 grams
---total --------1340 grams

Phantom 2 with IOSD Mark II - Video Transmitter - H3-2D - GOPRO Hero 3 -

onfourblades said:
[

1340 grams!

Phantom 2 ----929 grams
4 Props --------- 47 grams
Battery --------- 364 grams
---total --------1340 grams

Phantom 2 with IOSD Mark II - Video Transmitter - H3-2D - GOPRO Hero 3 -[/quote]

Payload defined is carrying capacity of the aircraft and does not include the base aircraft. They didn't say Payload capacity of the motors.

never mind. i read somewhere the payload includes the phantom. that's ridiculous. Not proper english. Payload weight never includes the aircraft.

In terms of aircraft: The maximum payload is the difference between the standard weight empty plus the weight of fuel carried, and either the maximum gross weight or the maximum takeoff weight, whichever is less. In almost every case, the maximum takeoff weight will be less and should be used for the calculation.

So... in terms of Max payload weight... they shouldn't include the phantom

Might be useful to me. I'm currently testing a set-up involving a GoPro on an H3-3D with a Sony RX100 suspended just below (from the frame, not the gimbal!). Total weight 1,540g

In terms of aircraft: The maximum payload is the difference between the standard weight empty plus the weight of fuel carried, and either the maximum gross weight or the maximum takeoff weight, whichever is less. In almost every case, the maximum takeoff weight will be less and should be used for the calculation.

Calculating the "Max Payload"...
PHANTOM 2 Weight (W Battery) 1000g -Take-Off Weight≤1300g = Max Payload 300g

H3-2D 230g
GoPro hero 3 (not plus) 163g

So by design DJI sells a product not within their own specs. the Phantom 2 with H3-2D is above the max payload. Does DJI know what they are speaking of? I just think they are being conservative.

Max descent limited to 2m/s. Interested to see what effect this has on VRS. Is it slow enough to prevent it on full stick down descending staight down?

MrC said:
Max descent limited to 2m/s. Interested to see what effect this has on VRS. Is it slow enough to prevent it on full stick down descending staight down?

2m/s is too slow... many have descended much faster without issues, you just need to have a good forward speed so the props bite into clean air. At 2m/s, it will take a more than a minute to come down from 400ft.

DJI should just make the max descend rate configurable via the assist. 2m/s may be OK for default to prevent beginners from crashing, but should be adjustable by the user so we can fly it to the fullest.

I agree that max descent rate should be a user configurable setting. Is there any official way to feed back to DJI? I don't intend to make this mistake myself but now as phantoms begin to descend more slowly, what are the odds someone is going to get impatient, get the throttle stick all the way down for a few seconds and cause engine shutoff? I believe the rate limit on THAT kind of descent is 9.8m/s^2 !

Remember that DJI is a Chinese company. China dictates what freedom to choose their citizens get. Not like the U.S. where we are given more options to choose how we want to configure/change our personal property.

I'm not bashing DJI! But we have to take into consideration their philosophy on the end users freedom to change or configure their products. I think they are still learning how to succeed in an international market. So far, they have not given us what we ask for and just give us what they want.

I think the maximum descent rate of 2m/s applies only when you try to descend vertically (no input on right stick)..which is a very good feature since many rookies have crashed due to prop wash..I am pretty sure (havent tested the new firmware yet) that you can descend faster while moving forward. The previous firmware had max. descend of 3m/s but i could descent much faster while flying. :!:

Could be a problem if we wanted to film a base jumper

Dropping faster than 2 or 3 m/s will most likely cause instability and possible loss of control due to a vortex ring state so that base jumper won't look so great anyways. ;)

I have also read with no authority that DJI claims that you cannot downgrade cleanly from v3.02 like you could with the previous versions. Choose wisely my friends.

I was actually joking about the base Jumping. I have always kept my max Descent speeds at under 1.5 m/s. Unless you are moving forward at a decent clip i wouldn't even attempt a rapid descent. I think it's probably the same principle that applies to Helicopters. Too rapid of a vertical descent and you get caught in your own prop wash.

After extended testing i have to say this is the WORST downgrade i have ever seen in a product! :evil:
New firmware is evil! You can no longer descend fast while flying forward, when you reach the limit of the 2m/s the right stick inputs are ignored (!!!!) depending the left stick %... So practically if you fly full speed forward and decide to descend in the same time, your speed will be reduced gradually and you will finally STOP moving forward when the left stick is at 100%. Yes, it doesnt matter if your right stick is at 100%. Phantom will stop and descend at 2m/s. :evil:

Rallyeman said:
I think the maximum descent rate of 2m/s applies only when you try to descend vertically (no input on right stick)..

I haven't been online in a few days or I could have posted earlier that this is definitely NOT the case. I flew my phantom with the stock firmware (1.x) and myself experienced a vortex state and minor crash (no damage). I learned my lesson and henceforth have never descended straight down.
Then I went to 3.0 and descent took longer but was still tolerable at 3m/s.
I gotta say 3.02's limit of 2m/s is kind of annoying. like someone mentioned earlier at 200 meters that's over a minute and a half of just plain descending... you have to be much better about battery management and warnings. anyway my point is the 2m/s limit is in place whether you're going straight down or moving laterally. I'm afraid I disagree with you that right stick/later movement is ignored... like I mentioned earlier I always have lateral movement now when descending, just a gentle left/right or back/forward and that continues to work normally for me, even at full descent.

I run my Phantom in Phantom mode (not Naza) so the switches at the top of the RC didn't really do anything. Using Phantom Assistant I configured the right stick to be "Failsafe" - click it all the way down and the phantom will return to it's home point and try to land. You can flip the switch back and regain control at any time so I've been using that switch as basically a "descent autopilot" when I've been flying really high. lets me relax, stretch my neck, grab a drink whatever and then when it gets low enough just flip the switch back and go back to doing... whatever land, fly off again...
\

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20