Phantom 2 low battery alert

Reaction score
Yes, I read the (somewhat ambiguous manual) and searched the posts here, but I'm missing where it says how the transmitter signals low battery levels in the Phantom. I get clearly how the Phantom 2 Vision does it.

Am I missing something, or is this not a feature? Yes, I know that the lights on the 'copter blink when the battery is low- I want something on the transmitter to tell me.

Are there other, 3rd party transmitters that show the Phantom 2's battery level?

Thanks!

DattaGroover said:
Yes, I read the (somewhat ambiguous manual) and searched the posts here, but I'm missing where it says how the transmitter signals low battery levels in the Phantom. I get clearly how the Phantom 2 Vision does it.

Am I missing something, or is this not a feature? Yes, I know that the lights on the 'copter blink when the battery is low- I want something on the transmitter to tell me.

Are there other, 3rd party transmitters that show the Phantom 2's battery level?

Thanks!
I know someone knows the answer to this . . .

The P1 controller doesn't have anything in it to receive that kind of data (or any kind) from the Phantom...you'll need to add something like the iOSD mini so you can watch your batt levels, or get a 3rd-party telemetry system that will report that and other info for you...but most of those 3rd-party options will require you to replace the controller (transmitter) entirely.

OI Photography said:
The P1 controller doesn't have anything in it to receive that kind of data (or any kind) from the Phantom...you'll need to add something like the iOSD mini so you can watch your batt levels, or get a 3rd-party telemetry system that will report that and other info for you...but most of those 3rd-party options will require you to replace the controller (transmitter) entirely.
I'm fine with replacing the controller-transmitter entirely - it's worth it to me. Do you know any specific replacement controllers that would work?

The easiest option would still be to add an OSD, but if you want to go the route of adding separate telemetry to your transmitter, one of the cheapest and easiest ways to do that is with equipment from FrSky (which is what I use): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7017

You can buy their Taranis controller, or put one of their Transmitter modules in another controller of your choice with a compatible port (e.g. Turnigy 9X or 9XR). When paired with an FrSky receiver in the Phantom, they'll report whatever telemetry data is available based on which sensors you install. You'll also have the option of setting alarms on the controller based on things like battery level, etc.

OI Photography said:
The easiest option would still be to add an OSD, but if you want to go the route of adding separate telemetry to your transmitter, one of the cheapest and easiest ways to do that is with equipment from FrSky (which is what I use): viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7017

You can buy their Taranis controller, or put one of their Transmitter modules in another controller of your choice with a compatible port (e.g. Turnigy 9X or 9XR). When paired with an FrSky receiver in the Phantom, they'll report whatever telemetry data is available based on which sensors you install. You'll also have the option of setting alarms on the controller based on things like battery level, etc.
Sounds good, and it also sounds like time. Are there also ready-made controllers that have that capability built-in?

OI Photography said:
The easiest option would still be to add an OSD, but if you want to go the route of adding separate telemetry to your transmitter, one of the cheapest and easiest ways to do that is with equipment from FrSky (which is what I use): http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7017

Do you know what the effective range is of the FrSky receiver and controller for reading telemetry? Spektrum says theirs is only good for 3-400 ft (their DX8 & Tm1000)

I'm surprised DJI doesn't have a solution for this.

DattaGroover said:
Sounds good, and it also sounds like time. Are there also ready-made controllers that have that capability built-in?

FrSky's Taranis controller does, as do some models of Futaba controllers (for their own telemetry system).

I don't know what the range limits for the FrSky telemetry are, but I've used mine just fine to 400meters, so they definitely out-range the Spectrum set based on what you quoted. The control range can be pushed to 2km or more, I just can't say for sure if telemetry will be available out to that full distance as well.

OI Photography said:
I don't know what the range limits for the FrSky telemetry are, but I've used mine just fine to 400meters, so they definitely out-range the Spectrum set based on what you quoted. The control range can be pushed to 2km or more, I just can't say for sure if telemetry will be available out to that full distance as well.

The easiest option would still be to add an OSD, but if you want to go the route of adding separate telemetry to your transmitter, one of the cheapest and easiest ways . . .
Interesting. 400m would be fine for me. The Spektrum is a more expensive unit as well. Maybe they're being conservative?

I think I missed what you meant before about the OSD. I do have an FPV monitor on my DJI controller, but all I see there is the info of the (Hero 3+) camera including the battery level of the camera.

DattaGroover said:
OI Photography said:

The easiest option would still be to add an OSD, but if you want to go the route of adding separate telemetry to your transmitter, one of the cheapest and easiest ways . . .
Interesting. 400m would be fine for me. The Spektrum is a more expensive unit as well. Maybe they're being conservative?

I think I missed what you meant before about the OSD. I do have an FPV monitor on my DJI controller, but all I see there is the info of the (Hero 3+) camera including the battery level of the camera.

Then you might want to consider adding DJI's iOSD mini to the video feed on the Phantom...it'll display the Phantom's battery level and other useful info right on the same screen you're already using. This document shows how it gets installed, and what data it provides on your screen: http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .04_en.pdf

~$70 right now from dealers

OI Photography said:
DattaGroover said:
OI Photography said:

Then you might want to consider adding DJI's iOSD mini to the video feed on the Phantom...it'll display the Phantom's battery level and other useful info right on the same screen you're already using. This document shows how it gets installed, and what data it provides on your screen: http://download.dji-innovations.com/dow ... .04_en.pdf

~$70 right now from dealers

That sounds perfect, thanks.

OI Photography said:

Do you use the DJI iOSD? How is its range? Is it consistent within that?

DattaGroover said:
OI Photography said:

Do you use the DJI iOSD? How is its range? Is it consistent within that?

There's no "range" on the iOSD mini... it overlays the data on the video feed, like a "Heads up display". So it's the video feed that needs the range.

TeamYankee said:
There's no "range" on the iOSD mini... it overlays the data on the video feed, like a "Heads up display". So it's the video feed that needs the range.
Duh! Of course. Thanks.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj