Phantom 2 loss of power = Crash......

Reaction score
Ive been an avid reader of the forums before the purchase of the Phantom 2 and h3 3d gimbal. I appreciate all the advice over the last couple of months. As I read, I thought I was immune to the quirks of all the other phantom owners until tonight..... please look at the video to see how my beloved P2 fell to the ground tonight. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9rqjA2 ... e=youtu.be

Notes;
1 I was flying with the helipal extended legs.
2) I was flying the helipal carbon fiber blades, (I RARELY FLY WITH THESE PROPS!, WINDS WERE CALM, SO I SAID, HEY ..... WHY NOT)
3) Winds were really calm today.... not the usual.....
4) Although I have learned to fly pretty aggressive these days, I was taking it easy, looking for clean shots...
5) GPS and ATT in the upright position as always.
6) GPS calibration was done like almost every time...

Unlike other forums, my P2 never dropped from the sky without full power. It did have some prop power, but obviously not enough...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9rqjA2 ... e=youtu.be

At about 30:00 I discover I cannot gain elevation..... at 55:00 my P2 looses all control and heads down at a rate that (obviously) outweighs the latest settings.... eventually crashing..(my 1st yet).

Any thoughts?

+heartbroken

I'm guessing it would be useful to know

elevation and temps at the location to see if air density plays a part.

What alt were you hovering at?
the drop looks as though the battery power started to fall away, what was your battery strength at this time? This could as much be a normal part of a partly of not fully charged battery or equally a dodgy battery, as anything else. How old is the battery? How many flights, charges, discharges & deep discharges?

You mentioned changing the props. Did you change anything else? inc firmware upgrades etc?

what level of firmware is this machine on?

Bmews

I'd be highly suspicious of those props. I don't know them but if they are CF and the same design as the stock props, then they are going to be more prone to VRS. Combining the aggressive pitch of the stockers without the flex is going to limit their operating envelop. And if I had to guess, this crash looks like mild VRS: straight down descent, maintaining rate or accelerating until impact, no audible sign of power loss.

BTW, crashes happen. They suck but most of the time you can fix it and fly another day. It's very rare to not have experienced at least one crash.

I live in Lake Tahoe, lake level is about 6200 asl and it was a mild summer evening, temps around 65. I was hovering around 100' when the drone fell....

The battery said it was at the 75% mark and probably has 20 flights on it. I rarely ever deep discharge. Im currently using the 3.04 firmware.

I do suspect the props as well.... They never quite performed like the stock props....

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20