Phantom 2 in gusty winds

Reaction score
I was flying today in the desert mountains and wind was not steady instead there were some big wind gusts. I have no idea the wind speed but it made my phantom start to look wobbly. Though it stabilized itself I could hear the engines working hard to keep it stable.

I was only about 25-30 feet up but it made me uncomfortable enough to go ahead and land it. Anyone fly it in gusty winds?

I didn't see the point of pushing it today since either the right or left prop was almost always in the shot due to the wind causing the wobble. It kind of sucked though that I only had about 15 minute flight time before the wind went bad. I missed flying yesterday because of rain storms.

If it seems to struggle i go safe option and land then call it a day, although my flying is purely for pleasure..
It's not worth losing it or binning it. Play it safe and fly another day..

knuckles said:
Yep, I was curious what other people were doing. I agree though if I see it struggling with winds it's time to pack it in

Usually don't like anything higher than 15 mph. If wind and/or gusts are over that, I'm done for the day.

The straining part isn't unusual... You ever listen to a jet in heavy wind? Constant adjustments to keep it on course.

Everything is relative. A Phantom can probably hold position in steady winds up to 35MPH. But if your Phantom is fully loaded with a gimbal and other goodies, maybe 25MPH is your limit. And if the wind is blustery and turbulent, take another 5-10MPH off of that.

ianwood said:
Everything is relative. A Phantom can probably hold position in steady winds up to 35MPH. But if your Phantom is fully loaded with a gimbal and other goodies, maybe 25MPH is your limit. And if the wind is blustery and turbulent, take another 5-10MPH off of that.

I agree. I even go lower than that when I'm trying to shoot video. Even the H3-3D gimbal gusty winds can screw up your shots.

Flew mine on Saturday in fairly gusty conditions and although the Phantom was getting thrown around a bit in the air the footage I got back was still super stable.

Sometimes you want to get a shot where you can't help but put it up in windy conditions. Just depends on how capable you are flying it and if it is really worth doing. If you don't feel comfortable that's a good sign its probably time to bring it in.

I've flown in some gusty conditions, say 15-20mph gusts where I could tell the Phantom was having to work hard to hold it's position... I could see the horizon indicator on the iOSD Mini tilting quite a bit.

don't forget that he harder it has to work to hold position the faster you're going to burn through battery

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj