Phantom 2 in -30 degrees celcius

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

New to the forum and first time posting. Thought I'd share some rough footage we took recently while scouting out new ice fishing locations. Three separate lakes, three miserably cold days. The P2, H3-3d and Hero 4 Black handled the cold well (better than we did!) although the battery life was reduced by almost 50%.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdZHO_rVCyM[/youtube]

Thanks for watching,

Alan

that's really cool! cold.. literally. good to know the Phantom will operate in that temp!

gorgeous vid too

QYV said:
that's really cool! cold.. literally. good to know the Phantom will operate in that temp!

gorgeous vid too

Thanks QYV! The Phantom did better than expected. The best single investment for this type of flying is a transmitter mitt like the one pictured below. I've had this one for about 15 years and it keeps the TX and fingers warm in the coldest temps.
TransmitterMitt.jpg

Noël said:
I guess that the batteries did not last very long.

You're right Noël, I think I was limiting my flights to about 10-11 minutes. Battery drain is substantially faster and it's not the most comfortable flying anyway!

TheFishFindersTVShow said:
QYV said:

gorgeous vid too

Thanks QYV! The Phantom did better than expected. The best single investment for this type of flying is a transmitter mitt like the one pictured below. I've had this one for about 15 years and it keeps the TX and fingers warm in the coldest temps.
TransmitterMitt.jpg

freezing hands are the #1 reason you haven't seen any badass snow videos from me, I'm checking on that now thanks!!

QYV said:
TheFishFindersTVShow said:
QYV said:

gorgeous vid too

TransmitterMitt.jpg

freezing hands are the #1 reason you haven't seen any badass snow videos from me, I'm checking on that now thanks!!

And for the extra cold days QYV try putting a small usb charged heater in the mitt. Works great. More practical than the chemical ones that keep heating hours after the flight is over.

TransmitterMitt2.JPG

I'm finding some stuff on Amazon, would you mind linking to your products specifically so I can check them out? I can basically only find 2 transmitter glove / mitts on amazon also curious about that hand warmer. how do you power it, a USB battery pack/charger?

I have been trying to use my P2V+ when it's not too cold here in upstate NY. Was coldest in US 48 states on 2/13 and 2/16 here in Watertown. (-30F and -34F).

My limiting factor in very cold temps has been the battery life of my iPhone and not the phantom or transmitter. Have started with battery at approx 50 % and lasted about 4 minutes. Not going to push it though. Can't wait for spring.

QYV said:
I'm finding some stuff on Amazon, would you mind linking to your products specifically so I can check them out? I can basically only find 2 transmitter glove / mitts on amazon also curious about that hand warmer. how do you power it, a USB battery pack/charger?

QYV the mitt I'm using was manufactured locally for the hobby shop here. This was quite a few years ago and unfortunately they're no longer available. The hand warmer is just a usb charged, 2-hour warmer that was bought at a local hardware store. I've seen a few similar on-line but not the exact one I have.

jone said:
I have been trying to use my P2V+ when it's not too cold here in upstate NY. Was coldest in US 48 states on 2/13 and 2/16 here in Watertown. (-30F and -34F).

My limiting factor in very cold temps has been the battery life of my iPhone and not the phantom or transmitter. Have started with battery at approx 50 % and lasted about 4 minutes. Not going to push it though. Can't wait for spring.

I mainly use my Fat Shark Attitude V2's for FVP so I can either put a toque or balaclava over them to keep the battery warm while winter flying. Otherwise, I have a 7 inch monitor using Canon DSLR batteries which handle the cold reasonable well.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20