Phantom 2 H3-2D Gimbal issue

Reaction score
Hi,

I know most people have asked the same kind of question but I've looked everywhere online and cant find anyone with exactly the same issue.

For some reason (maybe firmware update, not sure) my gimbal is not doing anything at all. It was working fine until I did a firmware update on my phantom. I've also lost control using the X1 stick. When I've tied to update the Gimbal IMU from 0.0 to 1.8 it wont let me. It will download but its unable to install. Ive tried to do it with both my mac and pc to no avail.
Is there anyone that might know what the issue is or how I can fix it?

Thanks

mine sometimes plays dead since 1.06 update, normally a restart on level ground does the trick. i think this firmware is a bit dodgy and it dosent put my gimbal into hibernation like it should when a camera is disconnected. i didnt realise there was a 1.08 update

Shorty I've tried that. Its still powering up the gopro just no movement???

Also there is no hardware ID for gimbal CMU?

i know dji customer support gets bad press, but i get a reply every time from the European support in germany, good luck

This gimbal is a pain in the ........ Finally got mine kind of working yesterday, at least I was able to lower the camera angle to an acceptable level and then I'm going to leave it and never touch it again.

What finally worked for me was upgrading the firmware in the transmitter, believe it or not. There is a small micro usb port inside, and on the phantom 2 vision download page there is a firmware update for the transmitter (even thought I have the basic phantom). This seemed to do the trick with the x1 controls, or at least I gained some limited control for the first time, enough to move the camera to where I wanted it. It still wanted to jump from one extreme to another, but with patience I was finally able to get it where I wanted it. I'm never touching it again.

Not user friendly, at all.

scoot001 said:

Did you get this sorted?

I got a brand new one today and have exactly the same issue, light is on and powering the GoPro but absolutely no movement, has the weird Hardware ID (see image below) and won't let me upgrade from 0.0 to 1.8 tried tons of times on both Mac and PC assistants.

I should add that I've updated the TX to 1.0.1.12 and the Phantom to 1.08 and always had the GoPro attached from straight out of the box.

I'm sending the H3-2D back to the supplier tomorrow – the IMU is in the actual gimbal unit so it must be faulty? Not sure about the dodgy Hardware ID, sometimes it just shows one foreign character, other times the option to upgrade disappears until I power cycle or unplug/plug the USB. My first P2 and H3-2D (lost them) worked fine straight out of the box.

The fact it says 0.0 makes me think it left the factory with no IMU firmware and that's why it fails to upgrade. Pain in the ars.e.

Screen%20Shot%202014-02-24%20at%2014.25.55.png

Jaybee said:
scoot001 said:

Did you get this sorted?

I got a brand new one today and have exactly the same issue, light is on and powering the GoPro but absolutely no movement, has the weird Hardware ID (see image below) and won't let me upgrade from 0.0 to 1.8 tried tons of times on both Mac and PC assistants.

I sh
Hi,

Have you resolved the problem? I have the same problem with my phantom after upgrade.

Mewosh said:
Have you resolved the problem? I have the same problem with my phantom after upgrade.

I sent it back and got a replacement which now works as expected. My new gimbal also now registers the correct hardware ID for both IMU and CMU and the update from 0.8 (how it came) to 1.8 was successful, although the app still reports the IMU version number to be 0.8 -- unless I click the 'Latest Version' link again which reports 'Current version 1.8. / Latest version 1.8'

I have a hunch that the IMU software in the gimbal itself is the issue, not the hardware as the GoPro was getting power and the gimbal light was working. It feels like it left the factory with no firmware which is perhaps why updating the IMU didn't work for me and why it reported version 0.0. The updates look like they are incremental, so if there is nothing to increment, it would certainly explain the issue.

Of course I may be wrong, especially if your gimbal worked then the controller update, or another update, broke your gimbal software. Mine never worked out of the box.

Either way, if anyone is experiencing similar weird results like I have shown above and the unit is new, send it back for replacement and link to this post.

Hope this helps.

I spent all day Saturday taking the Phantom apart and installing the zenmuse H3-2D on my Phantom 1. Pluged in my GoPro and it shows the light so I know its getting juice, however the gimbal is not alive, it just flops, no life.
I hooked up to the Naza Assistant, but don't see how to install any thing that would bring the gimbal to life. I have the latest version firmware 4.0.0 and PMU 0.2.0.4. Is there something I'm missing.

Justiceair said:
I spent all day Saturday taking the Phantom apart and installing the zenmuse H3-2D on my Phantom 1. Pluged in my GoPro and it shows the light so I know its getting juice, however the gimbal is not alive, it just flops, no life.
I hooked up to the Naza Assistant, but don't see how to install any thing that would bring the gimbal to life. I have the latest version firmware 4.0.0 and PMU 0.2.0.4. Is there something I'm missing.

I feel your pain, spent ages trying also.

Not sure what version numbers you are talking about, they look strange to me.

The latest H3-2D CMU version is 1.0
The latest H3-2D IMU version is 1.8

Look at my screenshots above. If your app is showing similar results and the IMU will not update, I suggest you send the gimbal back.

Jaybee, thanks, where did you see those numbers. I don't get them when I plug into the Naza Assistant, the Phantom shows its numbers but nothing like the GImbal is connected.

How did you solve your problem with the gimbal.

did you send it back to the DJI or the dealer you purchased it from. I purchased from a respected on line dealer. I'll contact them and seek their advice.

Justiceair said:
Jaybee, thanks, where did you see those numbers. I don't get them when I plug into the Naza Assistant, the Phantom shows its numbers but nothing like the GImbal is connected.

As I said a few posts back, I sent it back to the supplier (UK dealer) for a replacement

The new gimbal now works as expected. There is more info about this on my previous posts.

Justiceair said:

Sorry, just realised this a different thread! Here's all my info on the H3-2D issue: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=8819

Hope it helps.

I thought I had the problem solved, I found the H3-2D download for assistant on line, downloaded it and tried to reprogram my phantom but nothing happened, I called DJI support and after 45 min wait I got an Tech named Tony. He was very helpful, explained the assistant was not for the H3-2D that is installed into the Phantom. He explained my Naza Assistant should work the gimbal. He had me open the Info screen and we found that the "gimbal" was not showing up in the Assistant. Asked me to send him pictures of how i installed the units inside. I explained to him that I followed the DJI video. He explained if the install is correct he would have me send my unit to them in LA and they would make it work. If it turns out it was due to my install,I'd have some charge, If it was a hardware issue there wouldn't be a charge.
I sent him the pictures and now I await their response. The tech asked if I had upgraded my "board" No, its a stock Phantom I purchased just last September.

I'll keep this posted.

Got an email reply from Tony, he sees the install is done correctly, says I should plan on sending to him. Lets see what happens.

First let me clarify I'm talking about the phantom 1, H3-2-D Gimbal, Some how this got into the Phantom 2 area.
I got a replacement 8-pin cable and replaced the one on my unit, and now the System works as advertised.
I will fly it later today and verify all is well.
So in my case it was the cable.

Solution that Works :)

Adding My two cents: I got the Phantom 2 with Zenmuse gimbal and it worked fine after putting it together. But then after I Upgraded the firmware on the Phantom and it's transmitter, the pitch control for the gimbal stopped working.

What I did wrong: I did the Firmware updates to the TX and Aircraft (main controller) in the WRONG ORDER which caused the gimbal pitch control to STOP WORKING

How I fixed it: Redid the firmware updates to the tx and aircraft in the CORRECT ORDER (steps 1 thru 4) including calibrations as follows below:

1) Use the provided USB cable to plug into the remote control transmitter & use the PHANTOM RC Assistant software to upgrade the Remote Controller firmware to V1.0.1.11.
2) Calibrate the sticks and X1 channel of the Remote Controller while still using PHANTOM RC Assistant software.
3) Now use the provided USB cable to plug into the Phantom aircraft and this time Use the PHANTOM 2 Assistant software to upgrade the Gimbal IMU firmware to V1.8 on the Upgrade page.
4) After upgrade completed, calibrate the X1 channel of Main controller using PHANTOM 2 Assistant software,
then the PHANTOM 2 will work well with H3-2D.

So in conclusion....update the firmware on the transmitter first and calibrate it..........then update firmware for the aircraft (maincontroller) and calibrate it as well.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20