Phantom 2 gps/compass calibration question

Reaction score
Hi guys,

Just got my P2 drone today. Put my hero 4 on in (wifi off, no fpv system) and tried to do the compass calibration but I'm not sure whether it's being calibrated or not. I operate the S1 switch until i get solid yellow led, while drone is on the ground outdoors. I lift it up and rotate it until the led turns to green, then I rotate it again with the nose down and I get slow blinking yellow. I tried to switch the motors on and it did indeed fly. My concern is that I've read that the lights shouldn't be yellow. I saw a video on YouTube of a guy calibrating a used vision plus and he got the blinking yellow lights and said the calibration is done. The P2 is straight out of the box. Any thoughts? I even tried leaving it on the ground to get a satellite signal and eventually the lights went from yellow to green but after a short while they were green - red - green. Please advise! Thank you in advance!

Hi guys,

Just got my P2 drone today. Put my hero 4 on in (wifi off, no fpv system) and tried to do the compass calibration but I'm not sure whether it's being calibrated or not. I operate the S1 switch until i get solid yellow led, while drone is on the ground outdoors. I lift it up and rotate it until the led turns to green, then I rotate it again with the nose down and I get slow blinking yellow. I tried to switch the motors on and it did indeed fly. My concern is that I've read that the lights shouldn't be yellow. I saw a video on YouTube of a guy calibrating a used vision plus and he got the blinking yellow lights and said the calibration is done. The P2 is straight out of the box. Any thoughts? I even tried leaving it on the ground to get a satellite signal and eventually the lights went from yellow to green but after a short while they were green - red - green. Please advise! Thank you in advance!

Have you a PC or Mac computer? Which ever you have you need to download the software for both the P2 and the RC controller and if you are using a PC then also download the windows driver. Here's the link:
Phantom 2 - Downloads - Manuals, Software, Drivers download | DJI

Let me know when your finished downloading..

Last edited:
I've got them downloaded already. No errors there but there's no GPS mode. Just normal fly and fail safe. Haven't crashed it. Literally took it out of the box today..

I've got them downloaded already. No errors there but there's no GPS mode. Just normal fly and fail safe. Haven't crashed it. Literally took it out of the box today..

Which computer are you using??

If you use the the reply button down in the right corner when you reply you'll notice red number next to the flag indicating I have replied. That way I'll see that someone has sent a message.

Which computer are you using??

If you use the the reply button down in the right corner when you reply you'll notice red number next to the flag indicating I have replied. That way I'll see that someone has sent a message.
PC, sorry...

PC, sorry...

Do not take for granted that it is ready to fly right out of the box. Have you downloaded the windows driver into the P2? That needs to be done before the P2 can communicate with the assistant software.

Do not take for granted that it is ready to fly right out of the box. Have you downloaded the windows driver into the P2? That needs to be done before the P2 can communicate with the assistant software.

I'm trying not to. Just super excited that I finally got one and can't wait to learn how to work it. :)

Yes, I installed the driver first, then the assistant.

I'm trying not to. Just super excited that I finally got one and can't wait to learn how to work it. :)

Yes, I installed the driver first, then the assistant.

Do you live the US because i"ll give a number to call which much faster then typing back and forth.

Ok. have you connected the P2 and setup S1 switch for failsafe or any of the calibrations? By the way if you have done compass calibration correctly you should get a quick flashing green LED and when it gets 6 or more satellites then the green LED's will flash slowly.

I don't think I have.

After the first calibration I get green LED. When I do the second one, with the nose down and the LED up, the green LED turns to slow blinking yellow. I did it in my back yard however. English weather being what it is, it was cloudy and windy. Could that cause it?

I don't think I have.

After the first calibration I get green LED. When I do the second one, with the nose down and the LED up, the green LED turns to slow blinking yellow. I did it in my back yard however. English weather being what it is, it was cloudy and windy. Could that cause it?

Was this a new P2 or used?

Are you sure switch S1 was at the top while you calibrating the compass?? Why not go out and try it again and see if you'll get a fast flashing green then slow when gets 6 or more sats.

Yes, I'm absolutely sure. I watched lots of videos and read a lot online before posting. I've been trying all day really, same result every time. And the weather's taking a turn for the worst.. Gonna try again tomorrow or the day after when I get some spare time. If it still doesn't work, I'll contact DJI. Thanks for all of your help mate

Yes, I'm absolutely sure. I watched lots of videos and read a lot online before posting. I've been trying all day really, same result every time. And the weather's taking a turn for the worst.. Gonna try again tomorrow or the day after when I get some spare time. If it still doesn't work, I'll contact DJI. Thanks for all of your help mate

Weather has nothing to do with with calibrating a compass and good results. Do this in the house with the props removed and see if you start the motors. If they startup the GPS cable is connected and there is no reason why you shouldn't get 6 or more sats and home lock for take off. If in the mean time you have poor weather tomorrow why not go through the stick and X1 in both the RC and P2 assistant software and also do an advanced IMU cal.

I did the advance IMU cal already. What do you mean by "go through the stick and X1? I tried calibration indoors without the props but didn't try starting the motors. I'll do that as soon as I get home on Tuesday (will be traveling tomorrow).
Weather has nothing to do with with calibrating a compass and good results. Do this in the house with the props removed and see if you start the motors. If they startup the GPS cable is connected and there is no reason why you shouldn't get 6 or more sats and home lock for take off. If in the mean time you have poor weather tomorrow why not go through the stick and X1 in both the RC and P2 assistant software and also do an advanced IMU cal.

I did the advance IMU cal already. What do you mean by "go through the stick and X1? I tried calibration indoors without the props but didn't try starting the motors. I'll do that as soon as I get home on Tuesday (will be traveling tomorrow).

You cannot calibrate the compass indoors if that is what meant. Just open the RC assistant software icon on your PC and look at it. There is a cal button for all the sticks and X1 which is tilt wheel on the side of the RC unit. You also have calibrate sticks and X1 in the P2 assistant software with RC unit turned on.

You cannot calibrate the compass indoors if that is what meant. Just open the RC assistant software icon on your PC and look at it. There is a cal button for all the sticks and X1 which is tilt wheel on the side of the RC unit. You also have calibrate sticks and X1 in the P2 assistant software with RC unit turned on.

Right. I'll definitely do that and I'll let you know how it's worked out. Thanks!

When you calibrate with the nose down go in a counterclockwise rotation, that should work for you.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4