Phantom 2 & Futaba 14SG - Please Help?

Reaction score
Greetings everybody! I'm fairly new to the forum but have been reading for the past few weeks. A little bit about myself and the reason for this post...

My name is Brandon I'm 25, I own a computer store in a small town in Alabama. I flew nitro and gas planes 8 years ago but took a break from the hobby until I recently became interested in quad copters and aerial video. I chose the DJI Phantom 2 as my first rig.

Here's my question, I have a Futaba 14SGH coming in the mail Friday, Does anyone on the forums have a FLYING NO PROBLEMS Phantom 2 using the Futaba 14SGH with the included R7008SB Rx? I'm going to read the manual to this transmitter obviously but I'm scared to death I'm going to program this thing wrong and crash my Phantom 2. Maybe someone could email me their transmitter profile or guide me through the setup. To be honest I have not touched an aftermarket transmitter in 8 years, the terms these things use are Greek to me.

I originally got this thing for a hobby but recently I have had the city become interested in me filming events our town holds and one big one that may have 35,000 attendance in two days. There is a concert with high tech wireless equipment and powerful Wi-Fi systems with 1,000s of people there at one time with their cell phones, this is the main reason why I'm upgrading to the 14SGH so these interference issues will be minimized.

Thanks,
Brandon

My Setup

DJI Phantom 2
DJI Zenmuse H3-2D Gimbal
DJI Mini iOSD
GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition
ImmersionRC 600mw Transmitter
FatShark Predator V2 Goggles
Elgato Video Capture Device (For Recording FPV)
Phillips 32" Flat Screen (Viewing FPV Without Goggles)
SpiroNet Antennas
Garmin GTU 10 Cellular GPS Tracker
Anti-Gravity T Motors (Not Yet Installed)
Futaba 14SGH with R7008SB Rx (Not Yet Installed)
Mini Mic Amplified Microphone (Not Yet Installed)
Modified Go Professional Case

Hi Brandon,

I was in a very similar situation 2 weeks ago, having not flown an RC model for about 30years. Rest assured, its straight forward.
I swapped the DJI radio for the 14SG / R7008SB before first flying the Phantom2. A couple of hours on Youtube will give you all the info you'll need. If you get stuck I can help with any individual steps.

The R7008SB will work on either S-Bus or S-Bus2 with the Phantom2 NAZA, my setup is slightly none standard as I have added a servo for shutter release on the GoPro so not worth having a copy of my setup.

A couple of tips though...
1. Put some LocTite on the AntiDrop Gimbal bolts - They don't come with any on them and 2 of mine fell out and were lost today.

2. The 14SG telemetry will give you Receiver voltage out of the box and although you can fairly easily (cheaply) add Main Battery voltage, I would thoroughly recommend the E-FuelGauge from Thomas Jorgensen. It's only $50 / 35Euros, but will give you Main Battery Voltage, Live Current Draw, Cumulative Current Used (Stored n non volatile memory, but resettable from the Tx) and Tx - Rx error rates (Basically signal strength of the control signals). All of these live and on your Tx display. It's tiny and just requires 2 soldered connections.

Good luck, you'll be amazed at how well the 14SG will work with the Phantom2

Mark

Hi Peec!

I am very interested in your setup as I am looking to do same thing ..P2 with Futaba 14SG, IOSD mini and AVL58. Please could you share your setup instructions (for dummies ..ha ha). Does the EFuel guage then replace the Futaba sensors for battery voltage? Also very interested in the servo release for GoPro. Thanks!!

OK, someone else did all the hard work on this forum already, see here

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3931

The R7008SB sends the Rx voltage without any external sensor attached, so there's nothing to swap. The e-fuelgauge plugs into the S-Bus on the R7008SB, but also needs the main supply from the battery to run to it, and then on to the PH2's main board (so that it can measure current).

The R7008SB has 1 x Sbus port and 1 x SBus2 port. In my case, I have an S-Bus hub plugged into the S-Bus2 port on the R7008SB. This hub gives me 3 x Sbus-2 ports. I have the PH2's Naza plugged into 1, the e-fuelgauge plugged into another leaving one spare. On the R7008SB, the Channel 8 connector twins as the Sbus connector, I use Channel 8 for the GoPro shutter release - this is the reason I've used Sbus2.

On the Gopro I have a small (5g) servo stuck on the top with a short lever that pushes the shutter button. This setup means I can't use the standard clamp to secure the Gopro onto the gimbal, I have a zip tie doing that instead, which also goes over the top of the servo for added stability. I use the momentary switch (SH I think) on the Tx to fire the servo. I have short end points set so that the servo travel is limited.

The other setting I have that seems to differ from other 14SG users is that I don't use the LD knob for the Gimbal Tilt, but use the Left Rear Slide instead, it just feels better to me. I have the servo speed for the gimbal tilt set to 25, which is fairly slow, but gives a smoother tilt when videoing.

I use Fatshark Attitude goggles and have tried out the Headtracker, so that nodding my head up and down does the Gimbal Tilt. It was great fun, but not to practical for videoing.

peec said:
OK, someone else did all the hard work on this forum already, see here

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=3931

The R7008SB sends the Rx voltage without any external sensor attached, so there's nothing to swap. The e-fuelgauge plugs into the S-Bus on the R7008SB, but also needs the main supply from the battery to run to it, and then on to the PH2's main board (so that it can measure current).

The R7008SB has 1 x Sbus port and 1 x SBus2 port. In my case, I have an S-Bus hub plugged into the S-Bus2 port on the R7008SB. This hub gives me 3 x Sbus-2 ports. I have the PH2's Naza plugged into 1, the e-fuelgauge plugged into another leaving one spare. On the R7008SB, the Channel 8 connector twins as the Sbus connector, I use Channel 8 for the GoPro shutter release - this is the reason I've used Sbus2.

On the Gopro I have a small (5g) servo stuck on the top with a short lever that pushes the shutter button. This setup means I can't use the standard clamp to secure the Gopro onto the gimbal, I have a zip tie doing that instead, which also goes over the top of the servo for added stability. I use the momentary switch (SH I think) on the Tx to fire the servo. I have short end points set so that the servo travel is limited.

The other setting I have that seems to differ from other 14SG users is that I don't use the LD knob for the Gimbal Tilt, but use the Left Rear Slide instead, it just feels better to me. I have the servo speed for the gimbal tilt set to 25, which is fairly slow, but gives a smoother tilt when videoing.

I use Fatshark Attitude goggles and have tried out the Headtracker, so that nodding my head up and down does the Gimbal Tilt. It was great fun, but not to practical for videoing.

Wow wow Peec... Now you are going to have to tell us more!

So how did you exactly installed the RX? I believe its different than in the link you gave us since it explains it in a Phantom 1?

If you have pics and step by step instructions I think you will help a lot of people in this site!

Also is there a way to make the 14sg heli left center stick self centering? Just like the oem phantom?

[quote="peec] 2. The 14SG telemetry will give you Receiver voltage out of the box and although you can fairly easily (cheaply) add Main Battery voltage, I would thoroughly recommend the E-FuelGauge from Thomas Jorgensen. It's only $50 / 35Euros, but will give you Main Battery Voltage, Live Current Draw, Cumulative Current Used (Stored n non volatile memory, but resettable from the Tx) and Tx - Rx error rates (Basically signal strength of the control signals). All of these live and on your Tx display. It's tiny and just requires 2 soldered connections.
[/quote]

I intend to use 14SG on my P2 but I will just use mini IOSD and will have telemetry and voltage (in procent that will be more cool) directly on FPV screen. Much cleaner I think.

P.S. take a look at this Futaba 14SG tray. Look interesting: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/For-FUTABA-T1 ... 1413988120 or http://www.espritmodel.com/transmitter-tray.aspx

Hi peec,

Nice setup! Can you give us some info on the flight time with these changes?
Any significant addition (or decrease in) weight or power draw somewhere?

James Cole said:
Also is there a way to make the 14sg heli left center stick self centering? Just like the oem phantom?

Yes there is. Check the box. It may have the part included. If not this is the part you need: "HSP00503 AIR SPRING SET D for $2.99 each for Futaba 14SG" :cool:

Quadpilot said:
James Cole said:

Yes there is. Check the box. It may have the part included. If not this is the part you need: "HSP00503 AIR SPRING SET D for $2.99 each for Futaba 14SG" :cool:

I called Futaba earlier and spoke to a technician, he actually sent me the parts to make the left stick spring center for free...he told me it would take about two weeks. I probably won't use the part but atleast I'll have it on hand.

Ok, I have my P2 torn apart and the stock Rx removed, but which one of the plugs off the stock Rx do I wire into the new reciever? P2 is dual antenna so the tutorials on the internet aren't helping me.

I already figured it out through trial and error, I have a dual rate for the rudder set, a throttle curve I'm still tinkering with, and a prog mix for the fail safe, this transmitter is amazing but it gives me a headache lol.

If someone replaced P2 stock Rx with a Futuba maybe can post a small video about how to do. Thanks in advance!

I flew mine today 500 meters away 250 meters up with no problem, I was only limited by my FPV which for some reason was randomly getting interference from something.

I will make an instructional and possibly post the profile to my 14SG in a new topic, give me a day or so. I took pretty good pictures while I had it apart so I should be able to explain it pretty well.

BrandonBallard said:
I flew mine today 500 meters away 250 meters up with no problem, I was only limited by my FPV which for some reason was randomly getting interference from something.

I will make an instructional and possibly post the profile to my 14SG in a new topic, give me a day or so. I took pretty good pictures while I had it apart so I should be able to explain it pretty well.

Thank you for support and sharing!

BrandonBallard said:

Thanks for sharing! You are going to help a lot of people with that!

If anyone in the UK wants the parts to make up the Main Battery Voltage in cable for the telemetry of their R7008SB, I have some.
(This makes up the futaba part CA-RVIN-700)
I had to buy enough parts to make up 5 cables and I only need 1, cover the cost of postage and I'll send them.

(I better test mine 1st!)

Just letting you guys know I haven't forgotten about the tutorial I've promised, the weather here this week has been terrible and I've been sick, will end up doing the tutorial this weekend at the latest.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4