Phantom 2 for Movie Production?

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am really new with Phantom. I have a video production company and I am also into the media "news" business. I am looking to buy a Drone that I could use for both purposes, but I am not sure if the Phantom 2 Vision is adequate for the use. I need a live streaming camera that can zoom in and out and that I could also use to record.
Can anyone please guide me a little? I am kind of lost... :shock:

There's no zoom on the camera so if that's 100% required this is out for sure. As for streaming, it only streams a preview in lower definition. It records in HD on an onboard chip that you can only retrieve once it lands.

Otherwise it depends on the scene. It's not great in low lighting conditions but it's great during the day. As I said, the video can be recorded in HD but when the drone is moving at high speeds with lots of movement (flying over a corn field, etc) you will see a fair bit of artifacting. You will also see occasional stuttering video, occasional drop-out's, etc. So it's certainly not a perfect replacement for a commercial camera.

On the other hand, you can buzz one of these puppies up and over a fire or major accident and get it back to the studio before the evening news. And there are a lot of cases where it would be too dangerous or expensive to use a helicopter. Like over a live volcano.

Overall the video quality on a GoPro is probably a bit better than the HD camera that comes with the Vision 2+. Probably you would do better with one of the other Phantoms. Look at the DJI Phantom 2 (without the word "vision" in the title). It can take a GoPro and has an add-on 3 axis gimbal. It's quite a bit more sturdy too. It's probably your best bet for a flying camera (still no zoom or true live streaming though).

For hobby use these Phantom copers are simply spectacular. For a feature film? mmm... probably not quite up to the job.

Lots of examples on Youtube. I'm no expert but mine are all in 720P. I found too much artifacting at 1080p. Don't forget to adjust your Youtube settings to 720P first then take a look if you like.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK3CKd ... ZZTxJgtxmQ

gamezusa said:
Hi guys,

I am really new with Phantom. I have a video production company and I am also into the media "news" business. I am looking to buy a Drone that I could use for both purposes, but I am not sure if the Phantom 2 Vision is adequate for the use. I need a live streaming camera that can zoom in and out and that I could also use to record.

The Matrix platform does support cameras that zoom. When you see a Matrix fly and compare it to a Phantom it is quite a difference. Not to say that all the Phantom and DJI line isn't great stuff.

http://www.turboace.com/matrix_quadcopter.aspx

I have a friend who came a flew her Matrix here. She has a sony camera with a zoom that works very well

gamezusa said:
Hi guys,

I would say "no". but that's just my opinion.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj