Phantom 2 Flying Bumpy

Reaction score
Hello

I have a Phantom 2 that had a crash (Hit some foliage and fell about 35 metres onto rocks when filming a waterfall), and I finding it is not flying nearly as stable as it used to. It tend to have a lot more small movements and vibrations and just seems much more unsteady in its flying. It holds its position okay with GPS and tried turning GPS off and it still flies rough.
The crash damaged the gimbal, probably beyond repair as it damaged 2 of the ribbon cables, broke three of the props, smashed the battery casing, caused relatively minor damage to the shell (Amazingly), and pulled some sockets of the main board.The GoPro survived okay. I got the board fixed okay and put on all new DJI (I Believe) Props, did an IMU Calibration and a compass calibration and reset gains to defaults. Also I stripped of FPV and Gimbal so it is the bare machine. The firmware up to date so not sure what else to do to try and fix it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

joblo189 said:
Hello

I have a Phantom 2 that had a crash (Hit some foliage and fell about 35 metres onto rocks when filming a waterfall), and I finding it is not flying nearly as stable as it used to. It tend to have a lot more small movements and vibrations and just seems much more unsteady in its flying. It holds its position okay with GPS and tried turning GPS off and it still flies rough.
The crash damaged the gimbal, probably beyond repair as it damaged 2 of the ribbon cables, broke three of the props, smashed the battery casing, caused relatively minor damage to the shell (Amazingly), and pulled some sockets of the main board.The GoPro survived okay. I got the board fixed okay and put on all new DJI (I Believe) Props, did an IMU Calibration and a compass calibration and reset gains to defaults. Also I stripped of FPV and Gimbal so it is the bare machine. The firmware up to date so not sure what else to do to try and fix it.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks for your time.

I would check to see if the arms are completely level and equidistant from one another... It's possible you have slightly bent one or more of them and even if there's not a noticeable change to the shell it's possible they are not aligned properly.

The other thing you can try is take the props off and at low speed look to see if there's any wobble on the bolts as they spin....

Ones of the arms was slightly bent and I thought I got it reasonably straight but mayby I will have to get a new shell. I would not have thought that it would make that much difference but I guess something is causing the problem.

joblo189 said:
Ones of the arms was slightly bent and I thought I got it reasonably straight but mayby I will have to get a new shell. I would not have thought that it would make that much difference but I guess something is causing the problem.

Yeah any misalignment of the arms will really throw off the aerodynamics.

Buckaye said:
joblo189 said:

Yeah any misalignment of the arms will really throw off the aerodynamics.
I would worry more about the motor mounts being bent.

As in on the motors themselves or the plastic they mount to.
One motor does look like it was slightly out, the blade was on an angle - about 4mm different from the other blades, would that be enough to cause a problem.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik