Phantom 2 flipover crash

Reaction score
Finally got my PH2 and started having problems after my first flight. I recalibrate the compass before every flight and have tried everything I can think of. The problem I am having is that as soon as I take off the phantom starts to drift. I have to counter each movement I make on the stick with the opposite to even come close to a stable hover. Whenever I release the sticks the phantom will continue in whichever direction I last directed it, whether it be vertical or horizontal. I have had this problem out of the box and assumed it was just the way they fly until I saw a friend flying his and it responding completely different. The last two flights have both ended in crashes once getting as close as I can to a stable hover. The phantom will hover for anywhere from 10-20 seconds before flipping over and nosediving into the ground. Once getting to it, wherever it may have crashed, it seems like it is crashing under power because the props have still been spinning both times. Everything is updated to the newest firmware and it is not on Naza-M mode. Any input as to what could be going on would be greatly appreciated.

csmi117 said:
Finally got my PH2 and started having problems after my first flight. I recalibrate the compass before every flight and have tried everything I can think of. The problem I am having is that as soon as I take off the phantom starts to drift. I have to counter each movement I make on the stick with the opposite to even come close to a stable hover. Whenever I release the sticks the phantom will continue in whichever direction I last directed it, whether it be vertical or horizontal. I have had this problem out of the box and assumed it was just the way they fly until I saw a friend flying his and it responding completely different. The last two flights have both ended in crashes once getting as close as I can to a stable hover. The phantom will hover for anywhere from 10-20 seconds before flipping over and nosediving into the ground. Once getting to it, wherever it may have crashed, it seems like it is crashing under power because the props have still been spinning both times. Everything is updated to the newest firmware and it is not on Naza-M mode. Any input as to what could be going on would be greatly appreciated.

At first it sounded like you are flying in ATTI mode but that can't be so if its still in Phantom mode. A little bit of drift is normal but when you say it flips and dives into the ground something is really wrong. I would return it for a replacement.

Sounds like you have no GPS signal or a potential IMU issue. Are you waiting until you get the fast green flashes form the LEDs before taking off? Have you calibrated the compass? Have you plugged in the P2 into the assistant software and looked at the IMU calibration? You should likely advanced calibrate your IMU.

ianwood said:
Sounds like you have no GPS signal or a potential IMU issue. Are you waiting until you get the fast green flashes form the LEDs before taking off? Have you calibrated the compass? Have you plugged in the P2 into the assistant software and looked at the IMU calibration? You should likely advanced calibrate your IMU.

Yes, to all of the above. I am flying in wide open corn fields, not taking off from my truck or any other platforms so the compass shouldn't be getting messed up from takeoff. I contacted the company I bought it from and am still waiting to hear back from them. The last crash was from about 150 feet up and actually snapped my H3-2D gimbal in half. Glad I didn't have my go pro in yet or that would have been a very expensive crash.

What are your mod values? Have you opened up the Phantom to look for any loose connections including the Naza itself?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj