Phantom 2 extended legs not flying straight Help needed

Reaction score
So like many others I did not like that my new P2 H33D gimble would sit on the ground until powered up.
Tisk, tisk Dji! :evil:
Why would they sell such an expensive product that would cause damage to itself out of the box? (Rhetorical)

So I purchased a set of extended wide legs from the local shop whom I baught the P2 from. I did a lot of flying and didn't notice at first that my phantom was flying at an angle all the time. The camera is pointing staight ahead but the phantom flies slightly to the right. So I decided to try to figure out why and what I found was the new legs appear to be the cause. I noticed that the compass was on a slight angle to the main body. I placed a stainless steel ruler flat against the compass and its at a noticeable angle away from the other side of the same leg. I checked the other leg and found the same issue. The flats of the legs where the compass secures to is not flat (parallel) to each other. Placing the compass at several degrees of angle out of square. Hope this makes sense!

I'll try to get some pics up to show what I mean.

Am I on the right track here?
Would the compass being at an angle cause the phantom to fly at an angle?
Any suggestions on a good set of extended wide legs?

Thnx for any and all help
Dan

You are right the compass needs to be aligned square on correctly. Easily tested to satisfy yourself, pad out on one side of the compass clamp and see if it corrects it.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

I had similar problems. Spent an afternoon rotating the compass slightly then test flying again before finally hitting the sweet spot that resolved it. Rotation angle seems very critical to stable flight performance. Good luck

Thanks for the replies.
I had thought that this would make a big difference in the way it flies.

I don't see how one could adjust the compass on the leg considering there are two flat side that rest against the leg when secure. I will give it a go though.

On a side note I can't seem to get my compass mod to be higher than 950. I've done the degaussing procedure countless times. Even while connected to the computer. Every time it drops back down to 850-950 on the mod.
Bad compass?

Thanks
Dan

Someone should make some better legs.
All the wider/taller ones i have seen make mounting the compass awkward.
Why not stick with the current design till you get past the compass and then widen/lenghten the legs.

Iuse my own designed and 3d-printed legs extenders for +26mm (around 1"). No need to touch the compass. Easy to install and costs nothing. :)
You're welcome to use the model: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:313535

Attachments

• phant-nogi.jpg
    phant-nogi.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 499
afx said:
Iuse my own designed and 3d-printed legs extenders for +26mm (around 1"). No need to touch the compass. Easy to install and costs nothing. :)
You're welcome to use the model: http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:313535
Nice part. However it doesn't make the legs much wider only taller and more prone to a tipover because the CoG is higher. Leg in the image is the usual reason for the wider legs, with this the leg will still be in view under appropriate conditions. Sorry for the edit

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

Yeah, I could make it wider (even with some kind of suspension with little springs), but guys on our forum did not recommend me to have anything on the way of air flow from the rotors. Current model is hidden under the body, but wider legs can steal the air power which may cause flying problems.

I did take a closer look and yes the compass can be rotated slightly on the leg. Looks like the face of the compass is off the legs just enough to allow rotation.
Using a stainless steel ruler I got it so that its pointing straight. Just need some good weather to test fly.
Rain, rain and more rain here in Toronto. This am looks promising but I won't hold my breath as that can change in a heart beat.

Thanks for all the insite guys
Dan

Good luck Dan. Took me a few goes so don't be disheartened if its not perfect first time

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl