Phantom 2 crazy after installing new propellers

Reaction score
Hi,

Today I installed 4 new propellers and suddenly my Phantom 2 in not stable anymore. I installed 4 carbon fiber propellers but not self tightening ones... Can this be the problem? Calibration is ok, did everything the same as with the other propellers... Hope someone can help me here. Do I have to update or change something because of the new propellers? Thanks!

brentdebleser said:
How can I do this? :)

by a dubro prop balancer and a prop balancer rod for different props. including your dii self tightening props. google it. very easy.

d4ddyo said:
shrill mute said:
The best solution is:

Put the stock props back on.

Even the stock props need to be balanced

I have never balanced a single stock prop (8" or 9"). My Phantoms fly great and the video is jello-free.

Cheap carbon clones are notoriously bad.

YMMV.

shrill mute said:
d4ddyo said:
shrill mute said:
The best solution is:

Put the stock props back on.

I have never balanced a single stock prop (8" or 9"). My Phantoms fly great and the video is jello-free.

YMMV.
Just because you don't have problems doesn't mean you don't need to. It's just that your happy work the way your sets work from this point. I had a set on that didn't need much balancing. I put a set on that is really bad just this weekend and needed tons of balancing. Not a flight issue but was a jello effect issue.

d4ddyo said:

shrill mute said:

YMMV.
d4ddyo said:
Just because you don't have problems doesn't mean you don't need to. It's just that your happy work the way your sets work from this point. I had a set on that didn't need much balancing. I put a set on that is really bad just this weekend and needed tons of balancing. Not a flight issue but was a jello effect issue.

I've been through many sets of props on two Phantoms.

I guessed you missed the YMMV above.

I've never balanced a prop and frankly don't ever want to. Thankfully, the stock props are good enough to not need it and still get trouble free flight and video.

OP, take the carbon off, put the stockers back on. Enjoy. You can use the carbon props as door stops or letter openers.

ianwood said:
I've never balanced a prop and frankly don't ever want to. Thankfully, the stock props are good enough to not need it and still get trouble free flight and video.

OP, take the carbon off, put the stockers back on. Enjoy. You can use the carbon props as door stops or letter openers.

Exactly... the stock props are good enough... but if you balanced a stock prop you will notice a difference in your video

d4ddyo said:
ianwood said:

Exactly... the stock props are good enough... but if you balanced a stock prop you will notice a difference in your video

My videos have no rolling shutter artifacts. None.

What difference do you imagine I would notice after I balanced my props?

shrill mute said:
d4ddyo said:
ianwood said:

If you don't need it you don't need it. simple. but the props are never balanced perfectly as well as most people will tell you that the motors have to be balanced as well... i've never balanced my motors.. I check for balancing of props... sometimes they need and sometimes not. if i'm lazy and the props need balancing i get severe jello. But it all depends and it's in the percentages. and there is the matter of how you perceive it.

I can tell you I see lots of videos from people on the web that look good but have slight jello effect depending on their resolution and frame rate. To the person filming it they don't notice.

It's a simple thing... if you don't notice it and it doesn't necessarily affect you ... then just ignore this thread and comments... its for people that are experiencing issues and don't know. The poster asked why he's having issues and I answered it. someone recommended going back to stock props and I just am saying although DJI quality control is known to be better than most manufacturers... balancing may or may not be necessary depending on your taste and acceptability.

I can tell you that manufacturer that make only props even saying they are balanced need balancing.

d4ddyo said:
shrill mute said:
d4ddyo said:

If you don't need it you don't need it. simple. but the props are never balanced perfectly as well as most people will tell you that the motors have to be balanced as well... i've never balanced my motors.. I check for balancing of props... sometimes they need and sometimes not. if i'm lazy and the props need balancing i get severe jello. But it all depends and it's in the percentages. and there is the matter of how you perceive it.

I can tell you I see lots of videos from people on the web that look good but have slight jello effect depending on their resolution and frame rate. To the person filming it they don't notice.

It's a simple thing... if you don't notice it and it doesn't necessarily affect you ... then just ignore this thread and comments... its for people that are experiencing issues and don't know. The poster asked why he's having issues and I answered it. someone recommended going back to stock props and I just am saying although DJI quality control is known to be better than most manufacturers... balancing may or may not be necessary depending on your taste and acceptability.

I can tell you that manufacturer that make only props even saying they are balanced need balancing.

You forgot to answer my question. You claimed that I will notice a difference. My videos have no rolling shutter artifacts.

Again, what difference do you imagine I would notice after I balanced my props?

shrill mute said:
You forgot to answer my question. You claimed that I will notice a difference. My videos have no rolling shutter artifacts.

Again, what difference do you imagine I would notice after I balanced my props?

You don't understand english? Simple... if you don't notice any jello or any issues with flight then nothing ... you got a pair that's good enough for you. However depending on your resolution, time of day, flying style, field of view.... there will always be times where the jello effects can be more evident. It's caused by vibration that transmits from motors and props down to the camera....

All kinds of things affect this however the biggest issue is straight from the props first and foremost. I didn't care in the past much like you feel... until I started noticing the jello affect when i started filming different resolutions, different times of day, etc... different angles... I balanced my stock props and BAM... for 30 bucks free shipping and watching a video ... well worth it.

d4ddyo said:
You don't understand english? Simple... if you don't notice any jello or any issues with flight then nothing ... you got a pair that's good enough for you. However depending on your resolution, time of day, flying style, field of view.... there will always be times where the jello effects can be more evident. It's caused by vibration that transmits from motors and props down to the camera....

I understand English very well thank you. You claimed that I would notice a difference if I balanced my props. You don't know what the hell you're going on about.

As noted before I've been through many sets of props (It's not that i just have one pair/set) and it's not that it's only "good enough for me."

I've flown in full sun, with an ND filter, without an ND filter, at 30 fps at 60 fps, in strong gusty winds hammering the throttle, etc.

So again, after balancing the props I won't notice a difference as you erroneously claimed.

shrill mute said:
d4ddyo said:

I understand English very well thank you. You claimed that I would notice a difference if I balanced my props. You don't know what the hell you're going on about.

As noted before I've been through many sets of props (It's not that i just have one pair/set) and it's not that it's only "good enough for me."

I've flown in full sun, with an ND filter, without an ND filter, at 30 fps at 60 fps, in strong gusty winds hammering the throttle, etc.

So again, after balancing the props I won't notice a difference as you erroneously claimed.

OK buddy. I don't know where you learned english but I stated that you personally won't notice a difference because you do not see any issue... i'm not going about anything or anywhere. I'm dealing with fact and personal experience. I'm advising someone who started this thread not so you can take an arrogant tone or pump up your ego.

It's also from the experience of many Phantom owners and hobbyists who build their own quads around the world... check out other forums... and even this and comment to them that they don't know what they are writing about.

You don't notice a difference... ok. plenty people do and get god results.

golgotha said:
What balancer did you end up using for stock props?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

Dubro Tru-Spin Prop Balancer... $27 bucks... from B&H and free shipping. you need the self fighting dubro balancing rod ... i got mine from a friend who build quadcopters.

d4ddyo said:
OK buddy. I don't know where you learned english[sic} but I stated that you personally won't notice a difference because you do not see any issue...

It's not that I don't see an issue but rather the fact that there is no issue. Big difference. Perception vs. reality.

Telling folks that they will notice a difference if they would only balance their props is silly - especially when you have no idea about the quality of video that they are already capturing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj