Phantom 2 Crash

Reaction score
Hey, does anyone know what this crash may be due. DJI told me it's pilot error but I argue that there is a problem with the drone. Probably a battery that causes crash. What do you guys think?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Sorry but I tend to go with DJI assertion that it was pilot error since you have no supportive evidence such as a DVR recording to backup your claim.

Yikes - looks like maybe you were fighting a high wind and that tall exhaust stack in the distance with smoke or steam exiting at a 90' angle kind of supports that?

Motors seemed to quit pretty fast at the end also - sure you didn't do a CSC by accident or out of fear of a fly-away.

Not meaning to be critical here at all Kilroy- just my own observations and thoughts. Why not download your flight logs to HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters for more info. Thanks for posting the video.

Hey, does anyone know what this crash may be due. DJI told me it's pilot error but I argue that there is a problem with the drone. Probably a battery that causes crash. What do you guys think?

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Hi killroy10

I see that your flight time according to that video was under 4 minutes, was that the actual flight on that battery, or had you flown a bit before you started the video, (was it a fully charged battery when you started the flight).
I noted from the audio ( motor noise ) and from the smoke issuing from the chimney stack that that the wind was quite strong when you were flying, just prior to the crash it appears that you were flying backwards into the wind (R/H stick, Pitch control pulled backwards) , and did some rapid Roll manoeuvres (again R/H stick moved rapidly left right) whilst flying backwards, coupled with some rapid yaw input.
All in all some very taxing manoeuvres from the battery's point of view, that coupled with the cold conditions, I think a cell in the battery may have been overtaxed, and the bird just shut down, or you made a csc error when moving the sticks... just my opinion.

Sorry for your loss

oops looks like eaglegoaltender answered whilst I was typing :)
Waylander

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Sorry but I tend to go with DJI assertion that it was pilot error since you have no supportive evidence such as a DVR recording to backup your claim.
So, I do I do a DVR recording
Yikes - looks like maybe you were fighting a high wind and that tall exhaust stack in the distance with smoke or steam exiting at a 90' angle kind of supports that?

Motors seemed to quit pretty fast at the end also - sure you didn't do a CSC by accident or out of fear of a fly-away.

Not meaning to be critical here at all Kilroy- just my own observations and thoughts. Why not download your flight logs to HealthyDrones.com - Innovative flight data analysis that matters for more info. Thanks for posting the video.
No, It was not strong wind at all, but it was -10°C cold and no, I was not doing a CSC by accident. I think there was some problem with the battery. I bought 3 batteries with the drone and the two other batteries has been broken at lost capacitet. I think there something wrong with this battery to. The flight time from full battery this flight was under 5 minutes. The other battery worked as usual down to 50%, then 50-0, it took about 2-3 minutes. I threw that battery away last time I flew.

So, I do I do a DVR recording

No, It was not strong wind at all, but it was -10°C cold and no, I was not doing a CSC by accident. I think there was some problem with the battery. I bought 3 batteries with the drone and the two other batteries has been broken at lost capacitet. I think there something wrong with this battery to. The flight time from full battery this flight was under 5 minutes. The other battery worked as usual down to 50%, then 50-0, it took about 2-3 minutes. I threw that battery away last time I flew.

So why not post the DVR footage as the video you posted doesn't tell the whole story.

So why not post the DVR footage as the video you posted doesn't tell the whole story.
Sorry, I started typing about DVR and missed to remove it. I have not made any DVR footage and I don´t know how to do that.

Sorry, I started typing about DVR and missed to remove it. I have not made any DVR footage and I don´t know how to do that.

Ok. Well a DVR is just DVR you have at home to playback/record movies but these recorders are much smaller and record the video signal from the GoPro camera through the FPV system.

From what I'm seeing in you video is that you do not have FPV (first person view) and that the camera is mounted on a fix mount. Is that correct?

Ok. Well a DVR is just DVR you have at home to playback/record movies but these recorders are much smaller and record the video signal from the GoPro camera through the FPV system.

From what I'm seeing in you video is that you do not have FPV (first person view) and that the camera is mounted on a fix mount. Is that correct?
No, thats not right. The Phantom 2 has a Gopro Hero 4 black edition with a DJI gimbal, H3-3D and it is also a DJI Lightbridge mounted on the drone.

No, thats not right. The Phantom 2 has a Gopro Hero 4 black edition with a DJI gimbal, H3-3D and it is also a DJI Lightbridge mounted on the drone.

You mean with all that equipment on board you don't have a record of that flight. So without any proof whatsoever as to why it crashed did you expect DJI to act any differently.

You mean with all that equipment on board you don't have a record of that flight. So without any proof whatsoever as to why it crashed did you expect DJI to act any differently.
I realy didn´t know that it was possibly to record flight data. I don´t think thats up to me to record anything. If I buy for example a car, I don´t think I have to record anything if there is anything wrong with the car. I thought that DJI has that built in the drones. I haven´t flew very much with my drone but I have had a lot of problem with it. I think that DJI drones are just crap. I will never buy another one. Bad drones and fu bad support. Thats my opinion.

I realy didn´t know that it was possibly to record flight data. I don´t think thats up to me to record anything. If I buy for example a car, I don´t think I have to record anything if there is anything wrong with the car. I thought that DJI has that built in the drones. I haven´t flew very much with my drone but I have had a lot of problem with it. I think that DJI drones are just crap. I will never buy another one. Bad drones and fu bad support. Thats my opinion.

The P2 does not record the flight information such as telemetry and that is the type of info needed when you are trying to claim manufacture defect. As I said the video by itself proves nothing and that's exactly why DJI reacted in the way they did.

Were you flying with prop-guards on? In even a light breeze, they can cause VRS.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.