Phantom 2 can't calibrate

Reaction score
After a hard crash (unexplained ... the phantom more or less just stopped responding and fell from the sky) I can no longer calibrate the compass.

If I rotate it in a horizontal plane, the green light comes on solid after 360 degrees. If I then rotate in the other plane then either I get the slow flashing yellow light (so I have to pair again with the transmitter) or I get the fast red/yellow flash and I have to reboot. I never get the green blinking light

In the NAZA software the compass values look OK - nothing out of the ordinary.
All the connections seem fine and there is no damage I can see.
S1 is in the UP (GPS) position
I've waved a magnet around the compass a few times but it doesn't make any difference (and as I say the compass values seem in the normal range and it is responsive to change in orientation)

Really running out of ideas here ...

Are you trying to calibrate in a bad area? Like near steel? etc.?

I'd like to hear more about the unexplained crash...

No steel - open ground.

I'm uncertain whether the second vertical plane rotation is in fact intended for the GPS rather than than the compass. After all, the green blinking signifies that it can see satellites, and that is what I can no longer get.

The GPS unit and cables seem intact though.

The crash ... Well there were three crashes in fact. The first one may have been operator error. But the second was probably not and the third definitely not. After about 5 minutes flying, the phantom started not responding to the controls. I tried to bring it back, but it started to descend, slowly at first and then free fall. I had prop guards on which I guess might have been responsible for some turbulence. Unfortunately there are too many variables to be sure what was going on.

Did you launch with a full battery? Clean battery contacts? All that good stuff?

Anyways...

A ballfield might have steel mesh in the subsurface. A backyard might have an abandoned septic you didn't know about made with steel mesh...

You don't have a wad of keys or a smart phone in your pocket right?

Does your GPS work correctly as far as you know? Could the yellow lights indicate a GPS error? I don't have a P2...

Yes it's possible that there is buried steel everywhere I take the p2 but I think it's unlikely.

Batteries and contacts also ok.

Anyone know what the vertical plane rotation is for compass or gps?

No steel - open ground.

I'm uncertain whether the second vertical plane rotation is in fact intended for the GPS rather than than the compass. After all, the green blinking signifies that it can see satellites, and that is what I can no longer get.

The GPS unit and cables seem intact though.

The crash ... Well there were three crashes in fact. The first one may have been operator error. But the second was probably not and the third definitely not. After about 5 minutes flying, the phantom started not responding to the controls. I tried to bring it back, but it started to descend, slowly at first and then free fall. I had prop guards on which I guess might have been responsible for some turbulence. Unfortunately there are too many variables to be sure what was going on.

First up... forget any association between magnetometer compensation (compass cal) and GPS.
There is none.

GPS is a purely radio based system reliant only upon radio waves while the compass is a magnetic based system.

The purpose of the mag. comp. is to characterize the distortions to the earth's mag. field created by items IN or ON the quad itself. These can be 'nulled' by rotating the magnetometer and plotting the results (internally). Large disturbances by external objects can create such distortions that the compensation 'process' cannot overcome.

When you perform the second calib. rotation (nose down) do you proceed beyond 360 degrees of rotation?
It does take more than 360.

The mention of needing to re-bind the Tx/Rx is either a misinterpretation of the LED cues or indicates an additional problem elsewhere. To be forthcoming I don't even know if it needs to be bound to cal the compass as I have never tried.
IT IS possible to confuse the GPS sat count LED sequence with the mag. cal. LED indications and one should expect to lose sats while performing the nose-down segment since the GPS antenna is now facing the horizon instead of the sky.

Last edited:
It doesn't matter how much I rotate it in the vertical plane - as soon as I rotate it 360 degrees in that plane then the solid green light goes and yellow comes back.

After a hard crash (unexplained ... the phantom more or less just stopped responding and fell from the sky) I can no longer calibrate the compass.

If I rotate it in a horizontal plane, the green light comes on solid after 360 degrees. If I then rotate in the other plane then either I get the slow flashing yellow light (so I have to pair again with the transmitter) or I get the fast red/yellow flash and I have to reboot. I never get the green blinking light

In the NAZA software the compass values look OK - nothing out of the ordinary.
All the connections seem fine and there is no damage I can see.
S1 is in the UP (GPS) position
I've waved a magnet around the compass a few times but it doesn't make any difference (and as I say the compass values seem in the normal range and it is responsive to change in orientation)

Really running out of ideas here ...
Forget about calibrating the compass.
If you turn it on and getting yellow flashes, then the controller is NOT talking to the phantom.
If you have a H33D gimbal/ DJI 3 axis gimbal, move the yaw and see if the camera moves.
Try and start the motors in an open grassy field. If you cant start the motors, then the controller is NOT binding with the P2. I think you may of damaged the receiver board inside the P2.

Also try plugging the P2 into the Phantom Assist Pc software. See if any of the RC stick readings are at max 1000 readings.

Thanks but the controller IS talking to the phantom. When I flip S1 a few times, then the two connect. I can start the motors, I can fly the phantom. The problem is the calibration, as described previously.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.