Phantom 2: Can I mute the startup song?

krb

Reaction score
Is it possible to mute or turn down the startup song? I find it really annoying. I guess I could find and cut the speaker leads, but I'd prefer a reversible solution.

I guess it's all in the "ear of the beholder"...as I find the sound somewhat comforting because then I know that all is well up to that point with the Phantom and that soon I'll be taking to the sky and receiving the adulation of an admiring crowd...!! Does it get any better than this...??

Would this sound be available as a unique "Ring Tone" maybe???

Grins..... :cool:

The sounds are kind of an all good to go thing, if you have a problem with something outside the naza, the start up sound should sound different! Also, the sound is actually made by the motors, so you could in theory cut the three wires running to the motors to spot the sound . . .

But that will also spot the bird from flying lol

I myself would still like to know how the motors make the sound!

Thanks everyone for the quick and detailed responses! I just unboxed my P2NV (Phantom 2 Non-Vision) and it was annoying inside when I powered things on to do firmware upgrades and setting the failsafe position on switch 1. The dog barked every time I power cycled. I suppose I won't be powering it up inside very much, so I'll live with it.

The first time I powered up my phantom, it scared the **** outta me . . .

My dogs soon got to learn that when I'm getting my phantom kit together, it means they are going (coming) for a drive and walk :) they aren't bothered by it flying anymore, one of my dogs is a Beagle, so her nose is usually on the ground.

No and yes if you can find that component that is located on the ESC board that the noise is coming from because there is no speaker but my guess would be its the black and gray round chip in between the two gray power leads on the ESC "the largest component on the ESC". But I'm not willing to cut mine off at chance for a little silence, Let me know how that turns out though. Plus the noise only last a few seconds so how annoying can it really get?

phantomflyer said:
No and yes if you can find that component that is located on the ESC board that the noise is coming from because there is no speaker but my guess would be its the black and gray round chip in between the two gray power leads on the ESC "the largest component on the ESC". But I'm not willing to cut mine off at chance for a little silence, Let me know how that turns out though. Plus the noise only last a few seconds so how annoying can it really get?

I'm pretty sure it's the motors that make the sound. There's no speaker or anything like that. It's just the 3-phase power going in to them at different frequencies.

rilot said:
phantomflyer said:

I'm pretty sure it's the motors that make the sound. There's no speaker or anything like that. It's just the 3-phase power going in to them at different frequencies.

Not sure about that unless all motors make that nose because I upgraded mine to something other then Phantom stock motors and I get the same tone! Where would you think this tone device would be held in a motor that rotates? Motors are nothing but bearings, magnets and coils, No wires our circuit boards in one!!

The ESCs send signals to the motors which vibrate. Brushless motors work on 3-phase power and it's pretty easy to make them vibrate at any frequency. The Naza tells the ESCs what to do.
The same tune is played no matter what ESCs and what motors you have. My F550 makes the same tune with Naza and so does my scratch built quad that has Naza but Maytech ESCs and T-Motor motors. It's not the Naza itself that makes the sound though.
Hold one of your motors when you connect the power and you will feel them vibrate.

phantomflyer said:
I would like to get mine to do the bar tones on Close encounters of the third kind and have the bright wight LED's I have blink to the tone, I've been wanting to do it in flight on command! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmA0iXDB1xI

THAT is an awesome idea! I love it. If you ever figure out a way to do it, you GOTTA share! :lol:

PF

rilot said:
It's not the Naza itself that makes the sound though.
Hold one of your motors when you connect the power and you will feel them vibrate.

TIL (Today I Learned) that brushless motors can sing a song.
That's creepy. I really like it :)

I'm over my annoyance at the song. The dog seems to like it now, I just don't want to warn the neighbors when I'm going for a night flight.

kbyrd said:
I just don't want to warn the neighbors when I'm going for a night flight.

lol I know, right? It's annoying when I can't immediately test some modification I stayed up till 2:00AM to finish, because that DE-DE-DE-DEEEEEE will echo up and down the street

rilot said:
The ESCs send signals to the motors which vibrate. Brushless motors work on 3-phase power and it's pretty easy to make them vibrate at any frequency. The Naza tells the ESCs what to do.
The same tune is played no matter what ESCs and what motors you have. My F550 makes the same tune with Naza and so does my scratch built quad that has Naza but Maytech ESCs and T-Motor motors. It's not the Naza itself that makes the sound though.
I have one taken apart but I haven't listened to the motors, But I have no reason to doubt you on this, That would explain though why it wouldn't make a tone unless I had one hooked up! I'd just thought because there wasn't a complete connection. But any way I guess there would be no way to change the tune oh well..

PhantomFan said:
phantomflyer said:
I would like to get mine to do the bar tones on Close encounters of the third kind and have the bright wight LED's I have blink to the tone, I've been wanting to do it in flight on command! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmA0iXDB1xI

THAT is an awesome idea! I love it. If you ever figure out a way to do it, you GOTTA share! :lol:

PF
I have a lot of ideas to make the Phantom better I just have no idea how to work with electronics as you can tell. Where or who can you give your Ideas to to make them happen? I'm still wanting to see some kind of sensor added to each corner of the Phantom to detect a close object and stop in hoover or maneuver around it, you know like them sensors that the robotic vacuums have. Who would be able to make that idea happen? That's what I want to know :)

There ARE quads that can do that...I think they refer to that feature as "radar" (it obviously isn't) but it evidently works. Still, I prefer to FLY my quads, and the best way to avoid an object is still piloting skills.

I only got it a few days ago, but I've been flying for hours and hours on the Realflight 7 simulator by Great Planes. The two quadcopters they have in the sim SUCK. If you are only interested in quadcopter flying, DO NOT waste your money. If you are interested in planes or heli flying, this program can't be beat. I got the version with the interface dongle where you use your own tx ($109.00). Don't make that mistake, either. The USB connection does not power the tx like I'd hoped. You need to use your own tx batteries, and if you fly alot you will go through them like water.

I actually made a battery pack from two Blackberry batteries to use in the tx when I fly the sim. The Blackberrys were toast, but the batteries were fine. Still, it's a pain in the *** to constantly be swapping battery paks in and out of the tx depending on whether I'm flying my F450, V-tail quad, Phantom, or a plane or heli in the simulator.

PF

phantom_medic said:
anyone ever find out how to turn this off or down at all?

It's easy to turn it off.

Just cut one of the wires leading to each motor.

You won't be able to fly but that incredibly bothersome startup noise will be gone.

Reading the entire thread(especially a five month old thread) before posting a question is smart.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic