Phantom (2 and Vision) Batteries!

Reaction score
Pardon me for venting but I am EXTREMELY upset with DJI and their so called "intelligent" batteries! I was having trouble with relatively new (3 month-old) never crashed and never over heated batteries not fully fitting into my never-crashed-hard Phantom 2. I contacted DJI support and they gave me the usual spiel about batteries swelling and so on. I carefully inspected the batteries under magnification and found no evidence of swelling but since DJI declared the issue "resolved" I decided to try something else.

I just ordered and received from B&H, 4 brand-new, pristine, fresh, perfectly packaged and sealed, EXPENSIVE P2 batteries. The first one I tried fit perfectly, slid into place and the top and bottom tabs clicked. I was shocked that maybe DJI was correct and that somehow I had mangled my first 3 batteries in the first couple of months ownership. [digression] BTW, I had heavily researched the battery problem on the interwebs and found lots of people with the same problem and all with no DJI solution. Some had carved out the case a little to make room, others lubed up the little notch on both sides of the end of the battery (they look like this >--- sort of) and I tried this method myself. As well, I checked for anything blocking the batteries on all sides of the bay and found nothing. I even removed the stock receiver and its cables and antennae when installing the LB. During this install I also cleaned up the cable and wire routing but nothing worked.[/digression] Anyway, thinking the problem resolved I went out and happily flew my beautiful little LightBridge enabled, GoPro Black using, Futaba 14SG controlled, Zeiss Cinemizer-swaddled P2 and life was beautiful...

Until I ran out of juice and had to pop in another gotta be perfect, just out of the box, patiently waiting but ready to go battery. It won't slide in or click tabs, the **** thing just won't fit. So, I tryout batteries 3 and 4 with the same effect!! :cry:

Now this seems just a little fishy that 7 fresh batteries in a row are messed up. I take that back, ONE of them worked. BTW, I bought the last 4 from from B&H since the first 3 were from some marketplace vendor on Amazon and somebody complained they weren't "fresh" and you know how Amazon reviews go: "NEVER BUY FROM THIS GUY EVER HE RUINED MY LIFE" sort of thing.

Bottom line, I am at my wits end. I am sick and tired of buying non-returnable batteries that most definitely are suffering from a design flaw that DJI will not own up to. I have even considered buying a fresh P2 but I doubt that would fix the issue. At this point, although I love this little bird when it flies, it might be time to hang up my DJI hat and find an alternative.... Well, that's the end of my sad little tale of woe... Sorry for barging in with something negative but I cannot imagine I am the only person suffering from such issues. PLEASE, oh please, please, please let me know if you have any ideas what I can/should do to fix the problem if possible. Thanks in advance for any help anyone can provide.

Hey Mate,

Just a thought maybe the cheapest option would be to buy a spare shell? That way you are not showering cash on a new bird?

Cheers
Tre

That's a good idea, thanks! I guess it is possible that the shell got tweaked somehow and the one new battery that fits is also tweaked itself. It is a pretty cheap way to find out, cheaper than another new battery, lol!

I would check there is not a cable or something out of place inside the bird stopping the battery going all the way home! There is a grey ribbon at the top that might be the culprit?

Thank you for your suggestion! Yes, I have checked throughout the entire bird and even removed superfluous cables and wires (external canbus, stock receiver, etc.) but still the same problem. I have ordered a new shell and, though I am not looking forward to transferring over the innards and everything else, I am sincerely hoping that fixes it. OTOH, I like the thought of replacing it with a new bird entirely. The thing is, and it's a long story that I won't get into, I originally got this P2 with none of the add-ons for free! It was accidentally shipped to me by Amazon when they switched my order for a tiny drone with that of the guy who ordered the P2 and then they told me to keep it (I am guessing that the person who told me to keep it lost their job) but I have no warranty since they just marked it as lost in shipping or something. Or... I could just wait for the Phantom 3 rumored to come out "some time in the future" Anyone know anything about the P3?? When will it be time for an upgrade! LOL

That's a strange problem indeed. :eek: I wonder if your battery bay got tweeted? Maybe spent some time in a hot vehicle? The batteries fit very tight anyway, so changing out the shell is probably the best course of action. Good luck and let us know what you find out! :D

Thanks for the quick reply to everyone! You guys are the best and I think we are all lucky to have such a valuable resource as PhantomPilots. Although I haven't posted much at all, I am a very frequent lurker researching a ton of stuff. Can't find answers to everything but the vast majority of noob and more advanced problems I've had have been answered here. Wonder if these guys take donations to support the board?

Re: Phantom (2 and Vision) Batteries! (SOLVED!)

Again, thanks to all of you for all the help. i have a solution. I went about uninstalling things in preparation for the shell replacement. I removed the Zenmuse H3-3D and had a thought: What if the frame for the gimbal, once screwed to the body, deformed the battery compartment just enough to make normal battery insertion/removal impossible? So, once the Zenmuse mount was removed I tried every battery and lo and behold, each snaps in and snaps out perfectly! So, I replaced the gimbal bracket and took care while installing the new one to not over tighten or in any way cause stress to the body of the craft. That's it! Really glad I found this before I completely replaced the shell, much less work this way!

:D Great news! Thanks for posting your findings. Might help someone suffering the same problem!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj