Phantom 2 and GoPro Hero 3+ with Filters

Reaction score
I am new to the forum and new to quadcoptering. I just purchased a DJI Phantom 2 with a Zenmuse H3-3D gimbal and a Hero 3+ Black. I have read that a ND or polarizing filter can help with prop lines, jello-effects and contrast on bright sunny days. The filters I have seen slip on either the naked camera or on the protective housing - they are reputed to weigh something around 0.2 oz. What will adding a slip-on ND or Polarizing filter do to gimbal performance? Will it throw the balance off enough to over-tax and damage the gimbal? Are there GoPro filters out there that do not add much weight and are better suited for aerial use? And finally, do these filters really help that much?

Robert

I have the same set-up as you. I use the Polar Pro slip-on filter... http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Pro-Neu...d=1411169546&sr=8-3&keywords=polar+pro+filter

Yes, you will need to counter balance the gimbal. There are various ways to do that. I use Velcro and quarters. Do a search on youtube and you will find more info. There are also threads here on the subject. Search.

Yes, they help a lot in bright sunlight to reduce the ill effects you mentioned.

Get the polar pro... Mount it to your GoPro on the phantom... Turn phantom on and fly...

I have at least 80 flights with an unbalanced polar pro and it is PERFECT!!!! I have flown in three different countries and one of these places had constant 20+MPH winds!!! No prob at all!!

DesertFlyer53 said:
I have the same set-up as you. I use the Polar Pro slip-on filter... http://www.amazon.com/Polar-Pro-Neu...d=1411169546&sr=8-3&keywords=polar+pro+filter

Yes, you will need to counter balance the gimbal. There are various ways to do that. I use Velcro and quarters. Do a search on youtube and you will find more info. There are also threads here on the subject. Search.

Yes, they help a lot in bright sunlight to reduce the ill effects you mentioned.

Stupid question, your link show the camera in the case...........it does fit around the bare camera correct?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj