Phantom 1 drifting (crashing) after everything

Reaction score
In case of i havent done something I could do?

I bought mine used and when flying in gps mode it was just all over the place and I could only fly it on attitude. Since im totally new to these things filming with attitude mode aint an option for me. At least for now.

Then I started reading alot of things and i had a compass problem. I tried multiple times to calibrate and even tried the magnet trick. Nothing.. So I bought a new compass on ebay and replaced it as soon as I got it. Then compass was looking good on computer and no more errors from that.

Then I did these things below.

- software update
- IMU calibration
- compass calibtation
- controller calibration

Went flying and this happenned
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cBKpOnJ ... 1YMq_DcSMg

After a while I have been thinking could one of the motors been frozen to make such an effect?
I believe since batteries on my controller were not that old and it started suddenly beeping on me was becoause of the weather. Maybe around -10 Celsius. Then drone went to fail safe and just died on me.

Please help me :) im suppose to use this on my upcoming video project.

Welcome to the forum
This is a very good video step by step make sure you have done everything in this vid .

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rx0YHQeWaj8[/youtube]

Are you waiting for GPS & Homelock ? 2 sets of rapped green flashes ?
How are the props have you balanced them ? What size props are you using ?

750r said:
Are you waiting for GPS & Homelock ? 2 sets of rapped green flashes ?
How are the props have you balanced them ? What size props are you using ?
Yes im waiting for all green in the beginning and that its homelocked with multiple green flashing. In the video i had flied just with another battery so motors were also all warmed up.
Props are the same size as regular if they actually arent the stock ones. And i also have a set of new self tightening props.

That was one thing i wanted to know is it possible to do such a huge drift with badly balanced props?

Today I went and did a few test flights on really low alttitude that I woudnt crash hard. Before I took off I did advanced IMU calibration on our garages floor remote next to the drone. Then I checked every parametre on computer compared to this video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pY0Dns- ... freload=10 Everthing seems to be good.

This time I changed new props and IMU was calibrated for sure. Outside I did compass calibration and waited until I had all green and home posittion locked. Then yet again when i started flying it first leaned and pulled to the right and then suddenly to the front. So if IMU is calibrated and its still doing these things what could be the problem on drifting where ever it likes to go?

I yesterday opened up my phantom and remembered that old owner had changed at least one motor. So could this thing be cuz I have different kind of motors or that he just havent done it propperly. Since with small corrections im able to be in control of the drone but still if I try to let it just hover even for a few seconds it starts to drift somewhere until it crashes.

So your votes on this being GPS module, IMU or motor etc. problem?

Next time i'll make a video from my view of flying.

What kind of motors are in your Phantom? The only thing I can add is if you see your Phantom behaving erratically, get it on the ground before it crashes.

Also, welcome to the forum! And, that was a very good video production!

Edit: Do you fly with prop guards?

PhantomFanatic said:
What kind of motors are in your Phantom? The only thing I can add is if you see your Phantom behaving erratically, get it on the ground before it crashes.

Thanks alot :) But still this video was made in a hurry. I just cant stand if people put videos on the internet with real bad production value so thats why I always try to make the best of it what I have on my hands.

My motors are stock and 1 is a replacement motor. And yes like I said today when I was flying I stayed at low alttitude. When I dont let it fly too far away from me and im able to see clearly what the heck is the drone doing im able to keep control of it. But still that aint the way these things should work. :(

And

Yes im flying with prop guards which I bougt from ebay.

Sounds like you have done your research ..

Check props for damage
check motors for damage
Check all screws especially motor mount screws...

Calibrate transmitter in case values are off.

if after doing all of that it still doesn't fly straight . sell it. :!: start fresh.

JuriFromFinland said:
PhantomFanatic said:

Thanks alot :) But still this video was made in a hurry. I just cant stand if people put videos on the internet with real bad production value so thats why I always try to make the best of it what I have on my hands.

My motors are stock and 1 is a replacement motor. And yes like I said today when I was flying I stayed at low alttitude. When I dont let it fly too far away from me and im able to see clearly what the heck is the drone doing im able to keep control of it. But still that aint the way these things should work. :(

And

Yes im flying with prop guards which I bougt from ebay.

Prop guards can make it fly differently, but it shouldn't cause this problem. I wonder about the replacement motor. Is it compatible with the stock motors? Do you have any specifications on it? What about the markings on it?

Juri,

I had the exact same thing happen after I did the gps mod (i.e.,removing the top of the Phantom & then putting foil under the gps). Tried everything you have with no luck. The last flight ended so badly that the SMB plug broke off the main internal PC board & disconnect my "smart battery" info, etc. Ordered a new master board.

I'm embarrassed to tell you what caused my problem... Appearently, when putting the top back on after the mod I mounted it 90 degrees to the right. I didn't notice because I had removed the DJI red tape stripes near the forward engines. I'm not sure why that would have such an effect, but it did. (I didn't think that the gps antenna was "directional").

I don't know what was more confused during those flights... The bird or the pilot.

Hopefully, that's not your issue. But, if it is, your not alone.

Paul

Before I took off I did advanced IMU calibration on our garages floor remote next to the drone.

Probably not a good idea. Concrete floors have rebar

capodrone81 said:
Sounds like you have done your research ..

Check props for damage
check motors for damage
Check all screws especially motor mount screws...
havent
Calibrate transmitter in case values are off.

if after doing all of that it still doesn't fly straight . sell it. :!: start fresh.
This is the maker of that motor but i dont remember if there were any other specs. Ill have to check today later on when im going back at our garage/workshop.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJ13-4x-920KV-R ... 2594e9ca2a

And yes one of the motors has gotten some damage and threads have been ruined from two of those. All done by the previous owner who might have not been the brightest guy in the world. He even had burned the balance charger so I had to solder it back to working.

Transmitter values are correct and I have calibrated it a few times.

After trying to search the internet for a solution I have come to an conclusion it migh be GPS problem. Is there anyway of knowing that GPS module is broken? It seems to find all satellites and working fine.

And to you who said sell it.... :? I dont wanna sell this not unless im going to say it dont work ok. And I didnt buy a new one cuz I was prety certain i had to do alot of learning on flying/filming with these things.

Most of all. EVERYTHING IS EXPENCIVE IN FINLAND!

It really looks like you are flying in Manual Mode.

well im not sure if old owner has somehow mounted gps the wrong way. Could somebody took a picture over here to show which way of the gps is suppose to be the front?

An no its not on manual. At least there is not manual activated when I plug it in my computer. And chancing on GPS -- Atti -- Atti works atleast on computers screen it seems to work just fine.

Monte55 said:
Before I took off I did advanced IMU calibration on our garages floor remote next to the drone.

Probably not a good idea. Concrete floors have rebar

But shouldn't concrete bars or metal.. etc.. just affect on compass and compass has been always calibrated outsibe and I have tried it on a paring lot, my friends yard and at the golf course.

If it might affect then can I do the calibration inside or do I have to find a levelled place outside where to do it?

well im not sure if old owner has somehow mounted gps the wrong way. Could somebody took a picture over here to show which way of the gps is suppose to be the front?
The way the mounting holes on the GPS unit are it only lets you screw it in one way. But on the shell you should have 2 striped stickers on 2 of the arms. If you dont have the stickers you should see a shallow impression were they go on the arms. That is the front side of the shell. one the phantom 1 the side the battery door so just make sure your top shell is havering them two arms towards the end with the battery door.

But shouldn't concrete bars or metal.. etc.. just affect on compass and compass has been always calibrated outside and I have tried it on a paring lot, my friends yard and at the golf course.

If it might affect then can I do the calibration inside or do I have to find a levelled place outside where to do it?

Yes iron in the concrete should only effect the compass. But i think the IMU calibration takes readings from the compass mod values to. So you want to make sure your compass mod values are in range if you do the imu calibration again.

But as far as doing to compass calibration Some times out side is better inless you live in an area like I do that has lots of magnetic interference. For some reason I get better results inside then I do out side if near my house. But it dont have to be perfectly level when you do the compass calibration AKA compass dance. Being its usually being held when you do it and spining it around on the 2 axis's so Its not always easy to hold it level any way.

I have had a very similar problem with my phantom fc40. It all started with it wanting to tip over on take off. Then I checked motors and could feel a ruff turning motor so I bought a OEM motor from local hobby shop. I have had really bad control of the phantom and a couple of fly aways due to this issue. I then had a motor stop working while on the table bench testing. So turned out to be a speed controller. I ordered a new one and replaced. I discovered the phantom frame was cracked so I scratched the whole frame and replace it all onto a 450 platform. After much research on gps placement I got it all back together to discover it still drifts to the right in gps mode. It responds to low level controls pretty well in attitude mode. So I really need some advice on what in the heck to replace now. I have done multiple imu calibrations, compass reading are as they were in the OEM frame. I adjusted the gps measurements for center of gravity. I have flown it at all zeros and offset measurements of C.G. On take off it has tipped over on a slow rev up.

Attachments

• IMG_0143.JPG
    IMG_0143.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 480
Colin70 said:
I have had a very similar problem with my phantom fc40. It all started with it wanting to tip over on take off. Then I checked motors and could feel a ruff turning motor so I bought a OEM motor from local hobby shop. I have had really bad control of the phantom and a couple of fly aways due to this issue. I then had a motor stop working while on the table bench testing. So turned out to be a speed controller. I ordered a new one and replaced. I discovered the phantom frame was cracked so I scratched the whole frame and replace it all onto a 450 platform. After much research on gps placement I got it all back together to discover it still drifts to the right in gps mode. It responds to low level controls pretty well in attitude mode. So I really need some advice on what in the heck to replace now. I have done multiple imu calibrations, compass reading are as they were in the OEM frame. I adjusted the gps measurements for center of gravity. I have flown it at all zeros and offset measurements of C.G. On take off it has tipped over on a slow rev up.

I believe you are taking off wrong.

Your last sentence said on a slow rev up it tips over..

ON take off go 0- 60% a little bit over half way on the left stick on power up,pretty abruptly, get it in air and then adjust ..

and

as far as drifting to the right on gps mode do you have a good enough gps signal, wind conditions? I'm assuming everything is optimal in that case check controller calibration?

Colin70 Right away I see some thing thats sticking out at me like a sore thumb that has caused many other people problems on there phantoms when they install extended widened landing skids on a phantom. Which is havering the compass on the leg not mounted so its facing exactly the right way. The front of your compass should be facing towards the inside of the left leg and so tthat its on the inside of the right leg that its on. So you need to turn it about 125 degrees from ware its at now. It also needs to be as straight up and down as you can get it to. Tho hard to tell from that pic if you can get it like that on your legs or not. IF not you will have to make or get some thing that you can mount it to that will allow it to face the right direction. Even if all you can do is use a short pc of dowel rod that hangs straight down from the bottom of the craft that you can put the compass on or use some thing L shaped so it sticks out the side some place and has a post that hangs straight down that you can put the compass on and turn it the right direction.
But you very well might also have some thing going on with the gps not being facing the right way to and when in gps mode the compass and the gps might be trying to fight each other if it thinks its moving one way but the compass is saying. No ******* north is that way to the gps. all the while both of them are not orientated the right way that the naza things they are supposed to be faceing and trying to move the craft.

I just took a peek at my gps unit being I happen to have my shell open right not. On the compass the flat orange and red ribbon cabal is facing exactly forward towards front side of my phantom. BUT as far as I know the compass is even more important that its facing the right way then even the gps being gps is not as good at knowing direction as much as it is at knowing its position on the map. esp if its not moving. But I would think that its still good to have it so its faceing the right way anyway just so you can know its not that causing any issues.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers