Phantom 1.1.1 - How to add iOSD using onboard PMU

Reaction score
It's so tempting to buy a Phantom 1.1.1. They're on sale for $399 new. I've checked and the NAZA has a PMU.
I'd like to use the cheap Goodluckbuy gimbal and add a mini-iOSD without adding an upgrade board.
Probably have to install can bus before mini-iOSD - and add FPV later.
What is the easiest way to set up this config?

FLGulf said:
It's so tempting to buy a Phantom 1.1.1. They're on sale for $399 new. I've checked and the NAZA has a PMU.
I'd like to use the cheap Goodluckbuy gimbal and add a mini-iOSD without adding an upgrade board.
Probably have to install can bus before mini-iOSD - and add FPV later.
What is the easiest way to set up this config?

It depends on what you mean when you say the "NAZA has a PMU."

All Phantoms come with voltage regulator circuitry, it's necessary to convert the 11.1v battery down to 5v to power the NAZA and accessories. That is, technically, a "power management unit." But NO Phantom comes from the factory with a separate PMU-V2 module, which has the CANBus transceiver and I2C converter necessary to get CAN support needed for the iOSD mini. For CAN, you need either a PMU V2 or a Phantom upgrade board.

The answer to your question depends on whether the Phantom you're looking at has been modified by a 3rd party to include a PMU V2 (and I know of no reason why any retailer would do that without adding on the ~$65 cost of the PMU V2 unit).

If you're using a 3rd party gimbal and you don't need flight data directly from the NAZA, you don't need CANBus. You can get some of the same OSD info as from the iOSD-mini with such a standalone unit, but not all of it and it won't be synced with the flight controller.

FLGulf said:
ElGuano, Thanks for the clarifying the distinction between onboard PMU and the PMU V2.

Can I add the upgrade board (for Zenmuse) and still use a cheap gimbal like Goodluckbuy?

Yes, you can install the upgrade board simply for CANBus and iOSD mini support, and run a 3rd party gimbal (that's actually what I do). The Zenmuse is the only gimbal that NEEDS CanBUS, everything else has its own dedicated controller board that doesn't communicate with the NAZA at all.

I too will be adding an iOSD soon.

I just completed my FPV setup, so now all that's left is adding in some type of monitor that tells me how high/far away I am and where to get back to the home spot. I'm debating whether I want to go through all of the trouble with the upgrade board and stuff.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj