Phantom 1.1.1 battery charging question

Reaction score
I just received 3 new stock 2200 ma batteries and using stock charger. The first charged as normal. The second one acted a bit strange when charging. When almost fully charged, the charger will start blinking red to green. While this blinking was going on, the middle red led was blinking on and off also. Never have seen this happen before. It never reached solid green fully charged condition. I took the battery off and charged the third battery and it went as expected. Put the second one back on the charger again and after a couple of hours, it finally went to solid green with no blinking at all. I did check the battery with a cell checker when it couldnt get a solid green and the voltages seemed fine. Any ideas on this. First time charge on these batteries.

The battery in question was balancing slower. When the charger goes to a red/green flash and cell lights randomly appear - it's just the charger balancing cells. You have one battery that was just lower than the rest.

I have never seen the red leds blink before. Does that mean the charger was not charging full time on that cell? I thought the red leds was only to identify the cell count.

Monte55 said:
I have never seen the red leds blink before. Does that mean the charger was not charging full time on that cell? I thought the red leds was only to identify the cell count.

The charger charges all cells equally until they reach their "peaks", then it slowls down and balances between cells. When you have a cell light blinking it means it's charging that particular cell to match/balance with others. And you'll usually see this at the end of a charging cycle when you see the alternating red/green light flash. I've had older batteries that I've literally ran below mins have maybe only 2 cells leds lit for hours then finally illuminate all 3.

Thanks for the info. Maybe after a couple of cycles it will act more normal. I'll keep an eye on that battery. I number mine so I can keep track of them.

I've had similar problem. I unplugged the banana plugs and replugged them in. Then plug the balance plug in first, then the charger plug. Seemed to fix the issue. Now i always plug in the balance plug first and problem seems to be gone. Hope this helps

AerialJerseyDevil said:
I've had similar problem. I unplugged the banana plugs and replugged them in. Then plug the balance plug in first, then the charger plug. Seemed to fix the issue. Now i always plug in the balance plug first and problem seems to be gone. Hope this helps

I learned it was a best practice to do as you describe. If something is wrong with the battery, you'd rather have the balance lead "blow" and disintegrate first (they will essentially vaporize, breaking the connection), rather than the high-discharge low resistance main leads, which might just melt/burn the battery, cable, or charger.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20