Perspective

Reaction score
That post by the guy who might return his P3 because he won't be able to configure the controller to match stuff he's used to from gaming controllers when he was very young got me thinking about what I was doing when I was not playing video games at a similar age cause they didn't exist.
Anyone remember control line flying.?? Stand in middle of circle with two wire 20 yard radius elevator control of an ether fuelled balsa wood and tissue flying wing that went round and round until you fell over dizzy? Fingers bleeding from starting the thing, noisy smelly fast , it was fantastic. Now it was totally inconceivable that a battery powered motor could keep a plane aloft. Technology just don't exist.
Happy days though.
Now we shoot 4K vid on a three dimensional platform giro stabilised by satellite.
OK so roll the clock forward another 50 years and tell me what it looks like in the work of flying contraptions?
Thought controlled drone?? Why not.
One thing is for sure. The future is definitely electric!!

I don't think we will have drones then. There will be drones though, but I reckon they will be AI and operate as a Hive mind. Minimal input required, and as there will be so many around, no hobbyists and very few commercial operators.

I'll be flying simulated holographic on my holographic computer. Will give me the same experience without really flying. Hmm no fly a ways!
That is it will be my great grandson doing the flying, I be pushing up daisies from under the dirt.

That post by the guy who might return his P3 because he won't be able to configure the controller to match stuff he's used to from gaming controllers when he was very young got me thinking about what I was doing when I was not playing video games at a similar age cause they didn't exist.
Anyone remember control line flying.?? Stand in middle of circle with two wire 20 yard radius elevator control of an ether fuelled balsa wood and tissue flying wing that went round and round until you fell over dizzy? Fingers bleeding from starting the thing, noisy smelly fast , it was fantastic. Now it was totally inconceivable that a battery powered motor could keep a plane aloft. Technology just don't exist.
Happy days though.
Now we shoot 4K vid on a three dimensional platform giro stabilised by satellite.
OK so roll the clock forward another 50 years and tell me what it looks like in the work of flying contraptions?
Thought controlled drone?? Why not.
One thing is for sure. The future is definitely electric!!

Thought control with FPV streamed directly into brain.

Once I loved my filofax, my reflex camera with big lens, gps (no we had paper sheets), phone (that is what you had to put some coins in if you could find one that was working)........

With miniaturization of everything, soon enough what we call "drones" will be the size of dust particles. We will be able to control them with a chip that is implanted into the base of our necks and our brain will interpret the signals coming back turning our own eyes into FPV goggles. Those with more skill will be able to fly multiple "drones" at once; having a multi-screen-type FPV display so they can get multiple angles of the same thing or be in multiple locations at once.

Of course around government and military installations, or anywhere sensitive, they will have signal dampeners that drop the "drone dust" out of the air. Individuals will eventually start getting their hands on portable or home versions of those signal dampeners to get their privacy back since the "drones" can be anywhere at anytime.

Ah, the future!

In that case I will get my old control line plane out the attic
LOL Round and round and round[emoji15]All I remember is seeing is just the airplane and everything else was a blurrrr! Then stopping and dizzy as hell LOL Oh the old days! [emoji4]

Reactions: Turdle
I hope DJI has by that time developed a Phantom for the spirit world, because over 50 years I certainly will dwell over there. And.....it must be flame-resistant.
And off course with some paragnostic 3d-goggles with which I can look in the world of the living.

Last edited:
I think the future will bring a new FPV innovation that looks like a plastic "diving bell" helmet we put over our heads to eliminate sun interference with the display. Inside the helmet is a wrap around display that provides a 270 degree wide field of view, kinda like Google street view with 360 degrees, however this will be FPV video, not stills. There will be no fish-eye effect of course. The interior 270° display will incorporate a special lens that's adjustable for various eye prescriptions, adjustable to be clear (assuming both eyes are similar prescription). You'd have to turn your head inside the helmet to see the ends of the wrap around display. The helmet is ventilated with fans for fresh air. There is no hand held controller anymore, everything is voice controlled. Learning the command set is the new task of multirotor ownership. All craft will have collision avoidance making it impossible to hit power lines, trees or people, the craft will return verbal craft status you hear in the helmet, things like, "danger danger, collision avoidance enabled with evasive action, wake up you idiot!"

So that's the future IMHO, the question is, how long will this take?

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik