Perseverance pays off...

Reaction score
So I do a part-time real estate photos (about 150 per year or so) side business and I live near class D RDG airport so routinely have to get the automated LAANC authorizations to fly. However, I was contracted to take aerials of a house that is just off the end of the runway to RDG. And I figured no way was I going to get this. However, I put in about 4 dates and was surprised I got permission to go all the way to 400' AGL on my 3rd date I requested. Getting permission to fly from DJI was another thing, I had to send them all types of documents, including the manual LAANC statements etc showing I could go all the way to 400' Anyhow, in the 3nd took about 3 weeks in total, lucky for me the realtor was patient as they get very demanding from time to time. So not a particularly great photo, was a hazy day but check out this photo. I got permission to all but fly over the run way so just wanted to post that the FAA/ ATC will actually make allowances for us if we give them enough time. AND, notice the date was Thanksgiving at Noon, so I had to make allowances too, but in the end it all worked out. Got my aerials, and still had Turkey day tool!
7aa.jpg
Info for DJIaa.jpg

“Go all the way” on the “3rd date”? Lucky.

LOL.

Seriously though. Did they make a gap in the pattern for you by holding off takeoffs and landings for a time?

Reactions: Adamborz
“Go all the way” on the “3rd date”? Lucky.

LOL.

Seriously though. Did they make a gap in the pattern for you by holding off takeoffs and landings for a time?
Haha… yes I didn’t see or hear any planes while I was there. Not much traffic planned I’m sure on Thanksgiving, but I was ready to avoid any manned aircraft if needed!

In those situations I communicate with the airport manager and then have a CTAF radio handy. On my last shoot we could hear one of the pilots say something like, "I hope the owner of that lawnmower is on the radio." My business partner was manning the radio so he replied, "Lawnmower pilot here and we have you in our sights."

We were flying parallel to the runway @ 150' AGL about 200' away from the runway. It was an unregulated (Class E) private airport. But obviously we want to extend the same courtesy to them as any Class B or C or even D airport.

For phun we've now adapted all kinds of lawnmower vernacular. For instance, flying is now "mowing the grass." Good times.

D

In those situations I communicate with the airport manager and then have a CTAF radio handy. On my last shoot we could hear one of the pilots say something like, "I hope the owner of that lawnmower is on the radio." My business partner was manning the radio so he replied, "Lawnmower pilot here and we have you in our sights."

We were flying parallel to the runway @ 150' AGL about 200' away from the runway. It was an unregulated (Class E) private airport. But obviously we want to extend the same courtesy to them as any Class B or C or even D airport.

For phun we've now adapted all kinds of lawnmower vernacular. For instance, flying is now "mowing the grass." Good times.

D
I’ve flown right up against non controlled airports, in that case I call the manager and give them all the flight details. I don’t have a radio, but do listen via an app. Getting a flight radio is on my to do list for sure. I do run anti collision lights (cheap on Amazon) even during day when close to any airport. Don’t want to ever have to “need” to use my liability insurance policy.

Thanks for the comments. It looked like I was on final approach in the picture though!! 😎

Reactions: Harleydude
I actually had permission to fly alot closer than I did. That blue storage building in front of the drone is on airport property and leads to taxi ways. I had permission to fly over that building…. I just felt like for once all these FAA rules were working FOR me instead of against. I got to do my job, everybody was safe, everybody shared the airspace that day!! I would love to know if my Mavic showed up on their radar at 400’. I could see the radar spinning…

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20