Perfect day for a ND filter test

The neutral density filter reduces the amount of light reaching the sensor which results in longer shutter times, but with a fixed aperture there's no change in depth of field. What changes were you expecting in the video? OBTW, the colors are great.

Hey red, yes your right mate. The changes I was looking for were more intense clouds and i managed to get that compared to the original (without ND fitted)

Yes knuckles I have never seen this beach water that good before. just a perfect day.

Hi Cokeaddit, thanks for that, just wondering how it works with the zenmuse? I have heard that the extra weight can cause problems?

Did you need to balance it at all?

Thanks

Matt

cokeaddict said:
Weather was amazing. that's a very rare thing here so took the P2 down to the local beach fora quick ND filter test.
Here is the results....

https://vimeo.com/104087480

Quite impressed with the results.

Was just about to post about this. I used one this past weekend and while the colors where fantastic it definitely can make for pictures lacking in that sharpness I was used to AND even on the brightest of days it tended to darken things up. Wouldn't a polarized filter provide similar looking colors without slowing things down too much?

Here is a quick video and a pic (Not trying to hijack but figured this was on topic). Thanks in advance for thoughts.

[vimeo]104346626[/vimeo]

Attachments

• unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 576
Cokeaddict, was that with protune on or off? even with my ND filter i'm having issues with the sky and clouds...

Managed to get some great winter weather here in Perth too on the weekend so I tested my new polarising filter. Not as good as your ND filter but did the trick. I've included a very short example if anyone is interested in just the pola. Nothing amazing just flying around the river. First time properly over water too so was a bit hesitant to do anything too risky but it shows how it can remove much of the water reflection so you can see the bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SV5vd0p ... e=youtu.be

FlyingHigh..... protune was off.

Joel, checked out your video mate. Seems to be working ok with the poleriser. Only thing that is different is the water colour. Yours looks muddy. The video I took was the best and clearest day this water has ever been as far as i can tell. But towards the end of ur video u got closer to the water and the glare was gone so thats a positive i recon.

cokeaddict said:
FlyingHigh..... protune was off.

Joel, checked out your video mate. Seems to be working ok with the poleriser. Only thing that is different is the water colour. Yours looks muddy. The video I took was the best and clearest day this water has ever been as far as i can tell. But towards the end of ur video u got closer to the water and the glare was gone so thats a positive i recon.

The water in the river is actually that colour unfortunately, it was not due to the polariser. If I get a chance I'll go shoot some footage down along the beach to give you a better idea in blue water. Only a cheapy off eBay but it has reduced water glare dramatically. Still like your footage with the ND though I think that will be my next purchase.

cokeaddict said:
yes it will fix those problems

i m curious as to how an ND filter could have any effect on jello.
It would slow down shutter speed, making it look more smooth when panning. but jello is caused by physical vibrations. If it looks less jittery, it would be at cost of sharpness, no?

phynesse...
Not sure about quality loss mate.
Cant say how bad my original beach video looks to you guys but when i watch it in full HD on my huge tv it is awsome quality. So it didn't effect quality for me.
As for the "jello" well I just don't get it when i use filters. Not sure why but its gone so works for me. Give it a try mate, even if you get a cheap nd filter try it out just remember that the cheap filters are not the best so add that into your equation when you look at the end product.
cheers.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik