People who say RTFM

Reaction score
Have any of you actually read the manual? It is confusing as hell!

I hate it when someone asks a question and people give them crap because the answer is in the manual. I have read the whole thing but I would much rather ask a question here. Not only are the answers much more clear and easier to understand but also here if I dont understand the answer I can ask more questions.

That seems passive aggressive Jay. It's fine if you read the manual as I have several times. If further clarification is needed, I have prefaced my questions with I RTFM. I have found that folks here are quite willing to help out if they know you have invested some time in your own research. There is a lot of experience in this room. I'm not in that group yet but so respect the others who are. People just need to stop being so sensitive.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Yea but...

The manual is very clear on many things that are constantly being asked.

Plus lots of info you'd never know or think to ask.

Can't get behind such an ideaology.

If you want to say hey I read this and don't know what it means, or can you clarify that?, you're much more likely to have some instant respect as at least having tried.

Help yourself first. ;)

Geeze, you got the world at your finger tips!

Yes, I have read the manual...several times in fact.

My own comments extolling noobs to "RTFM" really was meant in the larger context of the responsibility new pilots (especially those with little or no previous RC aircraft experience) must accept to begin a self-education process regarding their new P3.

OK, so the manual is not ideal. It does, however, represent a starting point. In addition, there are numerous YT videos that cover a wide range of subject matter for the P3 in great detail.

DJI is leveraging the collective and tribal knowledge base that their pilot community represents. The PP forums are a great example of this. I'm just ol' school...I read everything I could find and watched many YT videos waiting for my P3P to arrive so I as was prepared as I felt I could be for my P3 maiden. Most of my friends take the same methodical approach when flying an air-frame type that is new to them.

Asking questions as a new pilot is fine and expected, but why not just RTFM and WYT (watch You Tube) first.

You might learn something.

:harry

Generally if you don't get an answer within 30 mins or so you can generally assume your question has been asked a million times so no one wants to answer .... I find the search function doesn't always give the results you expect so you end up asking questions that have been asked before. Vicious circle

It happens all too often when the questions asked prove how little the manual has been referred to. These inexperienced Phantom pilots just don't understand how their actions reflect on all of us. This is why asking such questions can be frowned upon.

I'm not saying that the questions shouldn't be asked, just don't be surprised if someone suggests to RTFM.

some questions asked show ignorance of the person. Like "tell me what are the yellow and red blinking lights"...

if that poster RTFM, they would have never posted the ques. Those type of Q's deserve RTFM reply!

some questions asked show ignorance of the person. Like "tell me what are the yellow and red blinking lights"...

if that poster RTFM, they would have never posted the ques. Those type of Q's deserve RTFM reply!
Lol. Or the reply. "go for it, those lights mean grab a handful, fly it like you own it".

I read the entire manual before flying, and didn't find any of it confusing.

I also, probably as a result, have not come even remotely to close to any crashes, freak outs, etc with the P3.

I read the entire manual before flying, and didn't find any of it confusing.

I also, probably as a result, have not come even remotely to close to any crashes, freak outs, etc with the P3.

Well... I am pretty dumb, so that might have something to do with it.

Well... I am pretty dumb, so that might have something to do with it.
So am I but I tend to switch up a gear when almost £1000 of face shredding terror is in the air without so much as string attached.

Well in all Honesty the APP sure does not come into play with the Manual.
ALL ANSWERS TO ANY QUESTION CAN BE FOUND IN THIS FORUM.
It seems the One Time Posters come out on the weekends with revolutionary questions never asked before.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Well in all Honesty the APP sure does not come into play with the Manual.
ALL ANSWERS TO ANY QUESTION CAN BE FOUND IN THIS FORUM.
It seems the One Time Posters come out on the weekends with revolutionary questions never asked before.
Props off, battery up the ***, fire it up, **** about with the app ...

Maybe it was just me be being over nervous not wanting to fire it up on a field without a clue ...

What if we posted the f'ing manual on this forum & the site indexed it for the search engine? Then, searches for info that is in the f'ing manual would land the user at the f'ing manual first.

Reactions: silverstoned83
I like this STFM, search the f'ing manual, idea. If the manual was made into a thread which could be stickied, problem solved.

First, I'm NOT perfect. Not even close.

When someone posts a question that is clear and easy to understand in the manual I mentioned this as it _scares_ me to think that people are flying their Phantoms without the basic understanding that is needed. I _hate_ to hear that people have crashed their Phantoms and they are upset that they have lost their investment. But to then realize that they did not even educate themselves on how the Phantom operates....?

Bottom line... I'd not mention it if I did not care about about someone's enjoyment in flying.

The quick start guide and user manual is wrong when it comes to turning the motors off after landing. Says to do a CSC but we know that will cause the P3 to flip.

Doh!
Flipped mine three times in one outing trying manual land.
I thought the CSC was how to do it. ( Flipped like a dime! )
Um I was wrong... Checked the Manual and I was a pro.
What was worse than anything else was people I did not know were watching me....
SO in all do respects to myself......
rtfm.jpg

I would hope the people telling me to read the manual are using the term hypothetically as an example of what they would say to someone asking a question, since i made it pretty apparent that I had read the manual (hence knowing its confusing).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj