People complains

Reaction score
Hi all.
I had 2 occasions this week while flying in my village when someone has challenged me for taking the videos.

They asked if i have the permission to fly above their houses and that they dont like it.

What is the regulation about flying in towns / villages above someones properties?
Do i need their permission?

Thank you.

In the US there is no law, I'd say to a Google search for UAV laws in the UK and find out. I happen to be a hobbiest photographer, and in my kit I carry a printout on photo paper (so it's laminated and last) of the LAWS. Free speech often trumps any other laws, in public areas, but there is an expectation of privacy in your own home, yard, unless it's right up to the public road or access.
I'd say your laws are close to ours and we can fly at 400' over ppl's property, I do it over some uber wealthy homes, I'm talking about ppl that could buy me a few hundred thousand times over (sumbitches! Lol) and I still do it because they're some crazy beautiful homes.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

as you dont have your permission from the caa the basic rules are no flying within 150m of a congested area. this means residential, recreational, industrial or dwellings. No flying within 50m of a person or object not under your control and no flying higher than 120m or 500m distance from your location as well as staying in visual line of sight at all times.
As for permission from a person to fly over their property, unless you have the CAA permission it makes no difference. if there are any other houses within 150m then you break their rules.

I'm from the UK too, i find they attract a lot of attention too, keep getting inquisitive people coming over and wanting to chat which I don't mind too much! Only the once I did have a women come over and say I shouldn't be flying where I was. I knew she was talking rubbish and I was all clear but I just stayed polite and listened to her crap haha

You need something small like Parrot's Bebop 2. It's small and looks like a toy.
I doubt people will complain when it looks harmless (wish the camera was good on Bebop).
It's getting to the point where you will always have someone in disagreement with flying any craft with a camera on it.

What is the regulation about flying in towns / villages above someones properties?

If this were going on in the U.S, you wouldn't need their permission. If it were me? I'd be a good neighbor, find out exactly where they live and stay away from them. Give them their perceived privacy.

Otherwise your lawmakers, sooner or later, are going to act.

SB

Every drone pilot is a drone ambassador. Try not to screw things up for everyone else. Be polite. Try to be reasonable. Sometimes thats not possible but try hard. If someone asks you not to fly over their house, don't, it can't be that hard to fly around them. Acknowledge their concerns. Try to be cooperative when possible. If you can educate them a little without confrontation, that helps to. Try to leave them with a good impression of you rather than spewing rules and laws at them and having them call authorities. Even if you are in the right, it still creates a "drone incident" that could be cited and used against the hobby.

The more people we leave with a positive attitude about us and our hobby, the better off we all will be. If people keep getting pissed off at drone flights, laws are going to get enacted that will severely limit us.

Google earth and the google streets will blur faces most of the time. You can also have your location/house/etc blurred out of the street view by filling out a simple form. The detail and resolution of either is pretty minimal.

Some people still live in the 1990s. My rifle club has bylaws on the books (and is severely **** about them) and is freaking paranoid about photos taken on the range where a rather significant landmark is visible in the background. They also insist you remove any GPS tagging in the photos that you publish online. Its not stated whether they fear people will find out where the range is or find out where the landmark is. Whoever wrote those bylaws are morons. Google maps as well as google streets clearly show the landmark AND the range location.

All you have to do is type the range name (or anything close to it) into any search engine and its right there. In fact you don't even have to know the name. But they (old members) still freak out when you take photos. Unfounded paranoia.

Just a general search for "rifle range wisconsin" makes it magically appear..
https://www.google.com/search?q=rif...43,1.6402966382610487&fz=10&qop=1&rlfi=hd:;si:
Its there. I will leave it to you to figure out which one it is.

Wait until they find out someone started a FB page for the range. Oh the horror of it all.

Some people are drowning in paranoia and when thrown a lifering, they refuse it based on ignorance.

Reactions: ZaqHydN
Hey wolfie, love the avatar...

Reactions: lookin4pain
i
I took this shot from 385 ft over my house the other day in the US. Should I have asked the owner of every property shown for permission? That's just crazy. Then so should Google Earth/Maps. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Othan1
In the US there is no law...

To the contrary, in the U.S. dozens of cities and states have enacted and continue to enact vague, complex and conflicting laws with regard to flight over private property, obtaining written permission, privacy restrictions, banning flights over public parks, and on and on and on.

I took this shot from 385 ft over my house the other day in the US. Should I have asked the owner of every property shown for permission? That's just crazy. Then so should Google Earth/Maps. :)[/QUOTE]

I seem to have some trouble inserting the url of a fickr image. Don't know why.[/QUOTE]
No worries, I get your point and completely agree. Not like we can identify them from there except from the publicly and free plat maps that tell the homeowner's name, economic level, and other personal information. But, hey, let's be afraid of pictures.

Hi all.
I had 2 occasions this week while flying in my village when someone has challenged me for taking the videos.

They asked if i have the permission to fly above their houses and that they dont like it.

Thank you.
Just wear this shirt when you fly...:)
Watching You For Your Safety T-Shirt

Reactions: DirtyHarry
i
I took this shot from 385 ft over my house the other day in the US. Should I have asked the owner of every property shown for permission? That's just crazy. Then so should Google Earth/Maps. :)
If someone can see it at 385' they must have a good set of binoculars.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj