Pearl River swamp in Louisiana

I'm up in central Louisiana and film much of the same as you have. My three biggest challenges are adequate height to clear trees, signal loss through the trees, and curious friggin birds getting too close to my P4.

Some of the cypresses in the Pearl River swamp are over 100 feet tall. Some of the pines are well over 100 feet, but they're limited to certain areas. I don't expect to have any collisions if the drone is kept up at about 150 feet. I also had issues with signal loss -- usually starting at about 300 to 500 meters out. In one case in which there was a clear shot for a ways up the river, I managed to get it out to 1.46 miles. I'm hoping that longer ranges will be possible when the leaves are down in the winter. I have some trees that provide a view out to long ranges rigged for climbing in that swamp. I'm considering operating the drone from up in one of those trees. That should allow flights out to much longer ranges. I have found that it's not too difficult to launch and land through openings in the trees, but I did have a few learning experiences in which I got into tense situations.

I pretty much fly at the same altitude because of the trees and subtle changes in topography. I did get a bit more range in the winter but the woods are so thick now 1500-2500 feet is the max without LOS so i do fly some autonomous missions with Litchi. Maybe I can buy a used fire tower somewhere. [emoji275]

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic