PC GS Questions

Reaction score
Got my GS a week or so ago. Unfortunately I have an iPad 2. The app needed only works in v.3 and higher. So I'm trying to tackle the PC GS software. As mentioned several times here, the DJI PC GS manual is somewhat a challenge to interpret. I have not taken a real flight yet. Hoping to do one this weekend. I have only flown the Sim. Here are my questions:

Do you need to set the entire system up (P2 up & running and ground end hooked to PC) to make the Sim work? It would be easier to practice if you did not need to set all the hardware up.

I am not clear on setting the altitude for flight. In the Editor, there is a place for waypoint altitude. But the default is 3.xxxx meters ( for my system). Given this is the Sim, if I left this as defaulted in real flight, would I be flying at 3m? What is the best way to set AGL altitude?

On the map, there are number graphics in both blue & red for each waypoint. What do these mean? Altitude?

I have other questions but these are my current head scratchers.

Thanks!

RickD said:
Got my GS a week or so ago. Unfortunately I have an iPad 2. The app needed only works in v.3 and higher. So I'm trying to tackle the PC GS software. As mentioned several times here, the DJI PC GS manual is somewhat a challenge to interpret. I have not taken a real flight yet. Hoping to do one this weekend. I have only flown the Sim. Here are my questions:

Do you need to set the entire system up (P2 up & running and ground end hooked to PC) to make the Sim work? It would be easier to practice if you did not need to set all the hardware up.

I am not clear on setting the altitude for flight. In the Editor, there is a place for waypoint altitude. But the default is 3.xxxx meters ( for my system). Given this is the Sim, if I left this as defaulted in real flight, would I be flying at 3m? What is the best way to set AGL altitude?

On the map, there are number graphics in both blue & red for each waypoint. What do these mean? Altitude?

I have other questions but these are my current head scratchers.

Thanks!
Yes, you would need the Phantom to be connected to run the simulator. It's the same with the Ipad app. It needs to do this to know it's starting height.

There's a setting for "altitude offset" in PC GS. Take note of that very closely. When you generate the waypoints, it will show a new window as "altitude difference". Make sure it's all correct before taking off.

AFAIK, waypoints are always pins. Blue lines means it's above the ground height reported by google earth. Red lines means it is below and will probably hit the ground.

Be aware that the PC GS app does not have voltage/battery indicators (at least not for my P2V). The Phantom will also start climbing slowly and travel immediately in the direction of the first waypoint. So, if there's a lot of trees around you, you might want to take off first to a height above the trees then only click "go".

Thanks Zenith.

The more I use this PC GS software, the more confused I get. Maybe it's me. Maybe it DJI's less than stellar GS PC manual. Or maybe it's Win 8 ( I think 8 is the worst product MS has ever produced). It's probably me.

OK, today I'm trying to use the Sim. Hooked up with P2, got connected, but the Sim kept going back to Real Mode. I had the P2 outside so I could get Sats. I had the props off and LOS connection. But the motors started up. No high RPMs but on at start up speed. I also continued to get a "timed out" error message. I must exit out of the GS software, disconnect and reconnect the ground end and start back up to get a connection. What a pain. Why won't it stay in in Sim mode and does it continue to time out?

I have only had one good Sim mission since I got this thing. Obviously I'm not launching a Real mission until I get this thing figured out. I hope the iPad version is more user friendly but I only have an iPad 2 and need a 3 or newer to make the app work. Any help from this awesome community would be appreciated.

RickD said:
Thanks Zenith.

The more I use this PC GS software, the more confused I get. Maybe it's me. Maybe it DJI's less than stellar GS PC manual. Or maybe it's Win 8 ( I think 8 is the worst product MS has ever produced). It's probably me.

OK, today I'm trying to use the Sim. Hooked up with P2, got connected, but the Sim kept going back to Real Mode. I had the P2 outside so I could get Sats. I had the props off and LOS connection. But the motors started up. No high RPMs but on at start up speed. I also continued to get a "timed out" error message. I must exit out of the GS software, disconnect and reconnect the ground end and start back up to get a connection. What a pain. Why won't it stay in in Sim mode and does it continue to time out?

I have only had one good Sim mission since I got this thing. Obviously I'm not launching a Real mission until I get this thing figured out. I hope the iPad version is more user friendly but I only have an iPad 2 and need a 3 or newer to make the app work. Any help from this awesome community would be appreciated.
I didn't actually do much flying in the sim mode at all. Just sent it on it's mission but in a very vast open flat area. Just have your controller ready to take control if the phantom starts doing something funny.

Start off with smaller missions then progress from there.

I decided to uninstall the PC GS software and reinstall from the DJI website along with drivers, etc. I was able to run a couple af successful simple Sim missions. But on one mission I did a pause. But could never get it to continue. It just hovered. And I could not take control back through the RC. On another mission, before getting into the Editor, the Sim took the P2 and flew away. It actually flew straight up to 2km before I shut the GS down. Has anyone else had a Sim do this? I'm hesitant to try a Real mission until I can get the Sim to work regularly. I'm also beginning to think the iPad app is the way to go.

I actually had a simulated flyaway myself on the iPad version. I have no idea what happened -- and fortunately it hasn't happened again. After reviewing the PC GS manual I decided to use the IOS version with my iPad Air. The "manual" for the iPad GS is several pages long but only about 2 pages of that actually relates to hands-on "how to". Pathetic!

Nonetheless, I did do several successful sim flights before trying a real one.

I'll second the advice given earlier -- do your maiden flights in the largest field you can find and keep the missions short and simple. I had some problems but found that switching immediately to ATTI mode gave me direct control of the quad, which was reassuring.

RickD said:
I decided to uninstall the PC GS software and reinstall from the DJI website along with drivers, etc. I was able to run a couple af successful simple Sim missions. But on one mission I did a pause. But could never get it to continue. It just hovered. And I could not take control back through the RC. On another mission, before getting into the Editor, the Sim took the P2 and flew away. It actually flew straight up to 2km before I shut the GS down. Has anyone else had a Sim do this? I'm hesitant to try a Real mission until I can get the Sim to work regularly. I'm also beginning to think the iPad app is the way to go.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj