Part 107 Waivers

Reaction score
I am starting to confuse myself with airspace restrictions and waivers. I recently obtained my Part 107 and want to do some commercial flying on Long Island. From what my understanding is BCD airspace to the SFC all require a waiver correct?

Also there is a small Airport East of me that is in class C airspace. This definitely requires a waiver regardless of altitude right?

4331df4150768bdd39fa63ff1b8fe052.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Yes. B, C, D require ATC permission. Just call the tower and explain what you want to do, they may allow you.

Oops! All Classes of controlled airspace require prior authorization through the faa webpage for Part 107 flights.

Right, Although for most short term operations, you would ask for an authorization instead of a waiver. both start out on the same webpage.

Ahhh I think that's where I am screwing up. I have a few jobs in the area that I would need authorization for a few hours at most. So for that you don't need a waiver just an authorization which can be sought online?

Jason do yourself a favor, use a Sectional chart, because many Class D airspaces also have underlying Class to the surface (dashed magenta) areas coaligned with ILS runway approaches, which also require an Airspace COA. If you don't want to spend money on the paper cutter they are on line using www.skyvector.com I use the Avatar and Airmap apps for my preflight planning.

All the best, and safe landings

Sent from my SHIELD Tablet K1 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Inside the thick magenta class E starts 700AGL at goes up to 18K, outside it starts at 1200 and goes to 18K. Look at the nearby airfields KRKP or KNCP, when you see dashed magenta or blue lines, think from surface either E or D to 18K or a floor of and overlaying C or B respectively.

Actually, outside the magenta lines, it's class G unless there is another zone such as another airport. The dashed blue line at KFRG is class D to the surface. Dashed magenta is class E (sfc).

Thanks Richard for making me look at the FAA AIM again and I was incorrect in my previous post, per AIM Section 3-2-6. Inside thick Magenta Vignette Class E starts at 700 AGL and goes to 18K or overlaying A,B, or C airspace. Inside thick Blue Vignette Class E starts at 1200AGL and goes up similarly.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj