Part 107 vs 333 specific questions

Reaction score
I'm a private pilot with a 333 exemption, but I'm still waiting for my 107 to process. Anyway, just curious about a few of the rules. Under 333, you can't fly within 500' of people, structures, or vehicles that aren't part of the flight, however under 107, you CAN fly around structures and vehicles as I understand it.

Anyone confirm I'm reading this right? Any other major differences regarding the flight rules themselves? Can 333 still get verbal airspace clearance, or do have to do the online 3 month process???

As I understand it currently, as long as your 333 Exemption is still valid you may fly under it's terms. In the alternative, you can fly under Part 107 as long as you can comply with all the regs (or get waivers for those you can't). You cannot combine a 333 with a Part 107 flight, you may only conduct a flight under one or the other. I do not believe they will be renewing 333 exemptions, but that was a "last I heard" coming from the FAA. If your 333 allows flights in controlled airspace via verbal clearance from the tower, then use that. The 107 process for authorizations is a nightmare. A Part 107 waiver for flights in controlled airspace is a better way to go, but takes even longer than an authorization.

I re-read my 333, and it does require the COA just like a 107 (missed that previously). My 333 is good until March 2018, so sounds like I'm clear to fly under it until my 107 goes through.

My Private Pilot is still processing, so I couldn't submit my 107 online, so I'm in the normal FAA waiting period. Took 10 months to get my medical processed last year!

I work for a Roofing Company as an Estimator. The owner purchased a Phantom 3. He wants me to see what is necessary to start using the drone to take photos of the current and past roofing projects we have completed. They will keep the photos in each job's file. Some of the photo's may be published on our company website. I would like a simple explanation of the Part 107 vs Exemption 333 as it may relate to the above usage scenario. I have looked online and haven't really found anything that simplifies the differences. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

I work for a Roofing Company as an Estimator. The owner purchased a Phantom 3. He wants me to see what is necessary to start using the drone to take photos of the current and past roofing projects we have completed. They will keep the photos in each job's file. Some of the photo's may be published on our company website. I would like a simple explanation of the Part 107 vs Exemption 333 as it may relate to the above usage scenario. I have looked online and haven't really found anything that simplifies the differences. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

As eluded to above, don’t worry about 333. It has been superseded by part 107.
Focus your efforts in learning the requirements, materials, and test locations. There are lots of online information sites and some prep folks here.
Gold Seal is one and highly regarded and rated.

Reactions: Amigorick
333 was an exemption for the aircraft only, you still needed a Pilots Certificate. The 107 is a Pilots Certificate and you don't need the 333. You will need to study and take the 107 exam to get your UAS Certificate, then fly under those guidelines. It's pretty good if you are in a rural area, but if you are near a B, C or D airspace if may not be worth your effort.

Nice the "boss" bought the toy and is making you do the leg work!

Reactions: BigAl07
I was recently on the FAA website and found the rules for an 333 exemption to a 107, IF you took two or three reviews(for a lack of) on their website and I started on the first one but now I have forgotten where it was. At the time I was very tired and sleepy and didn't make a note of where it was. Did I read this right, or was it wishful thinking on my part?

333s will not be issued anymore since 107 was established.
Current 333 holders may fly as such until expiration.

This is what I was referring to:
Course Overview
ar_down.gif

open
[email protected]
(Airman) Logout

Part 107 small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS)
Description:
The part 107 small Unmanned Aircraft Systems (sUAS) course describes the certification and operational requirements to operate sUAS in the National Airspace System (NAS) under Title 14 of the Code of Federal Regulations (14 CFR) part 107, small Unmanned Aircraft Systems. For part 61 pilot certificate holders with a current flight review, successful completion of this online course satisfies the training requirement before applying for a part 107 remote pilot certificate with an sUAS rating. All other interested individuals may complete this online course as a self-study resource. Individuals without a part 61 pilot certificate or current flight review are required to take the FAA Unmanned Aircraft General (UAG) Knowledge Test at an FAA-approved Knowledge Testing Center before applying for a part 107 certificate.
Cost:
No
Course Overview:
Introduction
Course Content
Downloadable Reference Materials
Course Review

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members