Part 107 in Class D

Reaction score
It seems like there is so much conflicting information out there so, hopefully, I can get an accurate answer on this.

If you're part 107 certified and hired to do some work at a property that's within class D airspace, must you wait for your 107. 41 airspace waiver to be approved before completing the work?

It seems like there is so much conflicting information out there so, hopefully, I can get an accurate answer on this.

If you're part 107 certified and hired to do some work at a property that's within class D airspace, must you wait for your 107. 41 airspace waiver to be approved before completing the work?

That's correct. Without the proper authorization (or waiver) you are flying illegally in Delta as well as Charlie, Bravo and Surface Echo.

Reactions: N42742 and sar104

@BigAl07 supplied the answer but I'm curious about your comment regarding conflicting information. Are you seeing advice somewhere that suggests an authorization or waiver is not required? 107.41 is not ambiguous on the subject:

§107.41 Operation in certain airspace.
No person may operate a small unmanned aircraft in Class B, Class C, or Class D airspace or within the lateral boundaries of the surface area of Class E airspace designated for an airport unless that person has prior authorization from Air Traffic Control (ATC).​

I agree. I think the latest Airmap has both the hobby/rec. pilots along with the 107 pilots as separate now. They show two different radius circles from airports depending on the selection made (i.e. 5 mile and ~1.5mile?). Some issues I've run into is when calling the local airport, you may get a fax machine and don't know what do do with one of those from a cell phone.

FAA created one big mess, imho, along with the slow ....... waiver process for 107 vs. the hobbyists who call in a flight and fly immediately. Hobbyists seems to have a lot more leeway. Bragging and lying rights are the only advantage (short of making money) for the 107 pilots with the plastic pilot's card.

I've applied for ground permits from some agencies in the past for still photos and it is absurd to take 5 months along with the boatload of sign-offs from sundry agencies who get into the mix for money. If you are trying for a waterfall shoot commercially, it's long gone by then. Gov. gets into the mix, has to hire 20 people to oversee it, and then price rockets along with slow ineptness (/rant).

FAA created one big mess, imho, along with the slow ....... waiver process for 107 vs. the hobbyists who call in a flight and fly immediately. Hobbyists seems to have a lot more leeway. Bragging and lying rights are the only advantage (short of making money) for the 107 pilots with the plastic pilot's card.

I'm not a huge fan of Government taking rights away and "selling them back" but in order to clear things up... The FAA did not create the mess. They were mandated this mess by Congress in 2012. I can 100% assure you that if it had not been for the Modernization Act of 2012 the current hobby "guidelines" would much more closely remember today's Part 107.

Personally I think P107 is too easy and needs to be revamped considerably and then rebrand P107 as "Hobby/Recreational" rules.

Reactions: N42742 and FLYBOYJ
I'm not a huge fan of Government taking rights away and "selling them back" but in order to clear things up... The FAA did not create the mess. They were mandated this mess by Congress in 2012. I can 100% assure you that if it had not been for the Modernization Act of 2012 the current hobby "guidelines" would much more closely remember today's Part 107.

Personally I think P107 is too easy and needs to be revamped considerably and then rebrand P107 as "Hobby/Recreational" rules.

I agree that the Part 107 material seems absolutely appropriate for anyone flying, but the current testing cost and process might be a bit too onerous for most hobbyists. Charging $150 and requiring a trip to the nearest flight school certified to proctor the test would likely put a serious dent in hobby participation levels. Maybe an online version would work.

Reactions: BigAl07
I agree that the Part 107 material seems absolutely appropriate for anyone flying, but the current testing cost and process might be a bit too onerous for most hobbyists. Charging $150 and requiring a trip to the nearest flight school certified to proctor the test would likely put a serious dent in hobby participation levels. Maybe an online version would work.

I completely agree. Surely they can find a better way than that to test and "verify".

Please note that many Class D ATC is only part time. My local Delta is only open 7AM-11PM, and another one nearby is only open 5 days a week. The are only DELTA when the tower is open, so there are other opportunities to get your footage in many cases.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj