Part 107 - Drone Operations On Airport Property

Reaction score
Hi All,
For those who have gotten FAA Authorization/DJI unlocking and flown on Class B or Class D airport property (zero grid), what was the highest altitude you have been authorized? I've only been given 50 feet, but, that's all I requested.

Hi All,
For those who have gotten FAA Authorization/DJI unlocking and flown on Class B or Class D airport property (zero grid), what was the highest altitude you have been authorized? I've only been given 50 feet, but, that's all I requested.
I've flown up to 100' on tarmac locations, and up to 200' in zero grids near runway. It depends on where you are in reference to the landing patterns.

Reactions: milo_r
The FAA grids will show you the maximum altitude you can request through LAANC.

The FAA grids will show you the maximum altitude you can request through LAANC.
Sorry, snowghost, I probably wasn't clear in my original post. I'm referring to non-LAANC authorization for Part 107 drone operations on Class B,C, or D airport property. Through LAANC Part 107 or Recreational it would be 0' grid and not permitted and a DJI drone would not take off without DJI unlocking permission due to geo-fencing. I have had success in requesting, through the FAA Waiver/Airspace Authorizations, 250' inside a 100' LAANC grid near a Class B airport. I asked for 1/4 mile radius but the FAA only gave me .1 NM radius, which was tight but worked ok. I have also had a customer with a warehouse facility on Class D airport property and I requested only 50' altitude and .1 NM radius on their apron and it worked fine. Now I have a customer who wants to be on airport property and fly at 250' and I'm not sure what to tell them except we can go through the FAA application process and see what the FAA grants. Fortunately, they came to me a couple months prior to the proposed date. Like mossphotography said, it will probably depend on where the customer wants to fly in relation to the runways and landing/departure patterns.

Got it. What kind of turnaround times are you getting for waivers like that?

Got it. What kind of turnaround times are you getting for waivers like that?
I did 2 FAA Certificate of Waiver/Authorizations in March 2022 and the Class B was 5 business days while the Class B was 2 business days.
Both DJI Unlocking requests took about an hour.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic