Part 107 Costs?

Reaction score
I called my local FAA test center to see what the process was for scheduling. They gave me some good info and apparently are very flexible with being able to get people to administer the test after normal business hours as they are a flight school at an airport and tend to have people available. One thing that did catch me a bit off guard was the costs.
So they said that the test was about $160 (which is fine) but that there was also a lot of stuff that needed to get handled with IACRA for another $100 and then something else was another $100. Unfortunately I don't remember what the the second part was but it was something to do with the issuing of the license/certificate. Does that sound right? I got the impression that those were add-on services they provided to expedite the process. I didn't want to start asking too many questions prior to passing the exam. I was under the impression that the majority of the costs would be the test and then some nominal fee for the actual license itself (it only costs $2 to reissue a lost one).

I called my local FAA test center to see what the process was for scheduling. They gave me some good info and apparently are very flexible with being able to get people to administer the test after normal business hours as they are a flight school at an airport and tend to have people available. One thing that did catch me a bit off guard was the costs.
So they said that the test was about $160 (which is fine) but that there was also a lot of stuff that needed to get handled with IACRA for another $100 and then something else was another $100. Unfortunately I don't remember what the the second part was but it was something to do with the issuing of the license/certificate. Does that sound right? I got the impression that those were add-on services they provided to expedite the process. I didn't want to start asking too many questions prior to passing the exam. I was under the impression that the majority of the costs would be the test and then some nominal fee for the actual license itself (it only costs $2 to reissue a lost one).
There is no cost for your Airman Certificate through IACRA.

There's a lot of folks looking to cash in on this initial stampede.

Buyer beware.

They are going to charge you if they have to sit with you to go through the rest of the steps. You can get through them without the extra fees.

$150 - $160 is right on the money for the testing anything more Buyer Beware.

When I scheduled the test at my local training center I was told $165. I knew FAA said $150, so I figured the other $15 was some kind of fee at the test site. When I showed up today, it was only $150. Apparently they got it wrong in the initial sign up process. I asked them about any other costs, because I had seen the FAA say when the new regs were announced that it was $150 for the test and $50 for the TSA check. But the girl at the test center had no knowledge of that $50 fee. Going to apply with FAA today and see what happens.

Easiest way is to go through the CATS site. They are the official schedulers for the test Centers. They handle the sign up, scheduling and money collecting ($150). When I call the lady actually got on another line to check with the Test Center I wanted to use to confirm that they had the time slot that I wanted. When I showed up at the airport this morning, they were waiting for me and had everything that they needed except for my ID. I was their first so they were learning as we went, but it all worked out fine and I PASSED!

Easiest way is to go through the CATS site. They are the official schedulers for the test Centers. They handle the sign up, scheduling and money collecting ($150). When I call the lady actually got on another line to check with the Test Center I wanted to use to confirm that they had the time slot that I wanted. When I showed up at the airport this morning, they were waiting for me and had everything that they needed except for my ID. I was their first so they were learning as we went, but it all worked out fine and I PASSED!

Pretty much the same for me. When I walked through the door the young woman doing the testing said "You must be Gary!" and was ready to rock. She seemed almost as excited as I was for the whole thing and that the process was finally moving forward.

Reactions: Falcon900
[QUOTE="...Going to apply with FAA today and see what happens.[/QUOTE]

Ha! Nothing will happen...for a day or two, I'm guessing. It seems we are having to wait a little for the exam results to populate the IACRA application servers. At least that is my experience so far from yesterday's exam. When you took the exam, did you use a driver's license or a passport for ID? I used both, in hopes that the TSA process will be faster (since you are already got "TSA'd" so to speak, when you applied for a passport). We will see...?

As I read the material, almost everyone will be TSA's - except for Part 61 licensed pilots. We'll see how that works, I am a non-current Pilot so I went the knowledge exam route. My results haven't shown up on IACRA yet. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get issued my 'temporary' license once it does.

As I read the material, almost everyone will be TSA's - except for Part 61 licensed pilots. We'll see how that works, I am a non-current Pilot so I went the knowledge exam route. My results haven't shown up on IACRA yet. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to get issued my 'temporary' license once it does.
After you have passed the initial aeronautical knowledge test, you will then complete the FAA Airman Certificate and/or Rating Application (known as IACRA) to receive a remote pilot certificate. IACRA is a web-based certification/rating application that ensures you meet the requirements and electronically submits the application to the FAA's Airman Registry. Applications should be validated within 10 days. Applicants will then receive instructions for printing their temporary airman certificate, which is good for 120 days. The FAA will then mail you your permanent Remote Pilot Certificate within that 120 days.

Some easy math here.
3rd Class medical - $80 (for me anyway)
Check ride and flight review - $265.00 (back in the left seat again)

or just take the knowledge test $150.

So no real advantage doing the 61 part for current pilots it seems.

Pain and suffering - Priceless

The only other cost that I've found is the $5 Commetcial UAS re-registration fee. Same site we registered at previously but select the commercial option. You have to enter your make model and serial number of your uas.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik