Part 107 certification prep: DroneStart or RemotePilot101?

Reaction score
Hi. I'm looking for the best way to prep for certification. Any recommendations? Also, how much time should a non-pilot expect to spend prepping for the exam?

Thanks!

It depends on your learning style. I liked the video format of the RemotePilot101 course and the fact that you have a membership for life so you get new video updates as things change plus can go back and refresh your memory every 2 years when you have to retake the test. That said, it is perfectly possible to study with no cost resources available on the web and pass the test just fine. It comes down to budget and preference.

I went with Remote Pilot 101. I liked Jason's teaching style and the curriculum was effective. I don't know about the other courses but I can vouch for Remote Pilot 101. After taking the course I passed the 107 test with flying colors.

a newbie, non american question:

to legally fly in the states, you now need a certificate? or only if you're flying commercially

to legally fly in the states, you now need a certificate? or only if you're flying commercially
If you only want to fly for fun as a hobbyist, you only need to get an FAA registration number here and attach it to your drone.

If you only want to fly for fun as a hobbyist, you only need to get an FAA registration number here and attach it to your drone.

and if I want to fly commercially?

how long is the course?
I would give yourself at least 2 weeks of studying to be prepared for the test. There's a lot of new information, if you're new to the aviation side of things. Plus, you don't really want to binge watch the lessons like it's on Netflix. Take the time to get familiar with the information and make sure that you're ready to test. You have access to the school for ever, so there's no 30-day trial to expire or anything.

Regarding your previous question about flying commercially, yes, you'll need a Part 107 and also some additional paperwork. Check out check information: Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS) Frequently Asked Questions

Only if you're flying commercially. Hobbyists don't need anything.

Edit - I was only thinking of the "making money" part. Depending on its size you may need to register your craft with the FAA.

Last edited:
thanks msinger, youve been very helpful !

and if I want to fly commercially?
Nothing basically against that, you would have to schedule, tale and pass the Part 107 pilot test. Biggest problem would be tha pilots must pass a TSA background test which would be, at best, problematic for a non-us citizens. Probably not going to happen.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic