Paranoia: How likely is a motor to fail in flight?

Reaction score
This is my greatest paranoia- that I'm flying the Phantom out over rugged terrain nicely taking pictures, and suddenly, a motor fails and the Phantom and GoPro drop like a stone to the ground or into a big tree, never to fly again.

So how likely is this to happen? What is the life cycle of a motor, and do they give any warning if they are about to fail?

It is likely but its more likely the blade will fail and cause it to drop. Apparently you should change them every 10 flights.

If you really want to stop your paranoia... then you need to get yourself an S800 which has built in motor failure redundancy... although the S800 comes with a bit more of a price tag as well :D

I have the same worries. After buying the phantom and reading up about it on line, I checked out how easily my motors spin, and like many I've got 3 good and one slightly rough motor. Now I'm paranoid about how good the last one is, next time I fly I'll be checking to see how warm it feels. I may need to replace some bearings, or upgrade to better motors

No matter how well you prepare, there will always be some risk involved. Your Phantom could have redundant back up
systems for the back up systems, and then out of no where, a Honey Badger comes along, and ruins everything. :(

Audaciter said:
No matter how well you prepare, there will always be some risk involved. Your Phantom could have redundant back up
systems for the back up systems, and then out of no where, a Honey Badger comes along, and ruins everything. :(

I'm sure hobbyking sell anti-honey badger devices these days :lol:

Seriously though... Buy new bearings (they are dirt cheap), fix rough motors or upgrade to better ones (t-motor anti-gravity). Props will only fail if they've been beaten up so replace after crashes (personally i've not heard of stock ones failing?). Oh and use the GoPro waterproof or Skeleton housing. You will be AMAZED how tough a well protected Hero is.

FrankB said:
This is my greatest paranoia- that I'm flying the Phantom out over rugged terrain nicely taking pictures, and suddenly, a motor fails and the Phantom and GoPro drop like a stone to the ground or into a big tree, never to fly again.

So how likely is this to happen? What is the life cycle of a motor, and do they give any warning if they are about to fail?

Hello, here 133 flights (Day and Night) High altitude.... no issues with props or motors. Every time, before flight i check motors, props and nuts by manual turning and "feel" if any different sound or clank-clank inside or loosen nut. I had 2 RTH failsafe situations, that was more scary than props or motors failure. Also, use waterproof case for GoPro, try not to fly over people, runways or water...
I've changed 2 props (when begining some bumps on the ground) and the bearings in 1 stock motor.... no more...

Audaciter said:

:lol:

Well the good thing is that these motors are "brushless", so there's no real parts that can break of get fouled up.
But the bearings will likely be the only things can can cause motor failure,and they''ll not completely fail in flight, but will more likely just start to falter and overheat, causing flight issues that will force you to land, but not fall out of the sky.

Before the Phantom, I flew several helicopters then the Quad Gaui 330X and the Y6. Both Gaui and Y6 had more than 200 flights each with not once motor failure! Both still have the stock motors on them. I had a few ESC failures but it happened before I could take off.

Like other suggested maintenance is the best practice. I drilled a hole on the frame under all motor for easier oiling.
For my Y6 with open frame design, I occasionally used the motor spray to clean all 6 motors, then use the brushless motor bearing oil. But with framed motors like Phantom, I used the air compressor to clean.
As soon as I land, I always feel all the motors to see of all have similar temperatures.
I only replace the props if it has visible damages.

P1240591Small_zps5431cd85.jpg

Audaciter said:
That is a good idea, and you could easily find a cap to plug the hole, at a hardware store.

i drilled holes in mine as well last time I had mine opened up.

I figured that if anything, air from the motors will be pushed OUT of that hole while the motors are spinning, so there's not much need to plug it.

I've had my phantom for about a month now- Gone WAY past the range limit on the stock TX, used RTH a few times, and flew aggressively on the stock props, pretty much each day. The stock motors have been working great for me. However, my back right motor makes a different sound than all the others when I spin it. It still spins the same, and the phantom performs perfectly, but it makes a weird noise, and I should probably replace it soon, or upgrade my motors. Other than that, everything with the stock motors have been fine with me. :)

t still spins the same, and the phantom performs perfectly, but it makes a weird noise, and I should probably replace it soon, or upgrade my motors. Other than that, everything with the stock motors have been fine with me. :-

You could probably get by with replacing the bearings, and thrust washer, but may as well do it to all 4, as it is very simple to do, and you don't have to cut the motor wires
or anything like that.

Audaciter said:
t still spins the same, and the phantom performs perfectly, but it makes a weird noise, and I should probably replace it soon, or upgrade my motors. Other than that, everything with the stock motors have been fine with me. :-

You could probably get by with replacing the bearings, and thrust washer, but may as well do it to all 4, as it is very simple to do, and you don't have to cut the motor wires
or anything like that.

I'm probably pushing my luck here, but could someone post a link to a vid or how to for replacing motors and/or bearings.

. . .id hate to try the first method I see, only to find I've done it the hard way etc.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4