Parachutes

Reaction score
So I keep seeing internet news articles about this new astm f3322-18 approved parachute that allows you to legally fly I see people. I don’t remember ever seeing anything about this in the 107 training

Is this something that is a current option from the FAA, or just an early stepping stone?

Our company is a participant with one of the FAA IPP sites studying BVLOS and we recently asked a question on these lines about parachutes and flights over people. Essentially, it is one of the numerous risk mitigations that may be influential in getting a waiver for flight over people. Adding a parachute alone is probably not enough, but might be one helpful component.

Our read on what we have heard is that (among other things) you need to control the level of kinetic energy displaced when the aircraft hits the ground (or people). This is accomplished with having something that weighs almost nothing - or having something like a parachute that can slow down the aircraft making the impact much less intense.

The audible alert is supposed to help make someone on the ground aware of the aircraft heading to the ground (and supposedly cause them to get out of the way).

There were multiple parachute companies working on the standard and we have talked to many of them about their products.

Here is a link to the Phantom parachute from Parazero for anyone wanting to see them - they are in stock and shipping.

ParaZero SafeAir Phantom

As a side note, we do test these things. We recently sent an M200 up with a parachute and shut it off to test the parachute deployment and the level of damage the aircraft might incur when it hit the ground.

We are planning two intentional deployments of Phantom parachutes this week and would be happy to post / share our results and findings - or invite anyone willing to come to Southwest Florida the chance to witness the tests we conduct.

Reactions: KAOS Imagery

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.